• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It was a terrible trade but not because of Bryce

NAS

12 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

So when the D knows you can't scramble for a damn, take 5 step + dropbacks while not being able to step up into the pocket and see anything would be hard for the oline to block and maybe not their fault?

Edited by Waldo
  • Beer 1

Just now, frankw said:

It's ironic thinking that the reason the Panthers are in this mess is because even when they were bad the last few seasons they couldn't even lose right and because of a few wins for the "culture" we could never secure a top 3 pick so we had to pay dearly to move up. Suddenly now the Panthers can actually lose right and are likely backing their way into the top pick that we don't have. Almost makes you believe in a curse.

I said it the second we fired Rhule that it was a huge mistake

Rhule was the main reason we were losing and he weren't going to contend for a SB last year regardless of who was the coach.

Firing him improved the team way too much and was always going to cost us badly in regards to draft position.

I was very much on board with letting him coach out the season (or at least until Week 14-15ish) and just accept it while knowing we'd have a Top 5 pick in the draft.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

So when the D knows you can't scramble for a damn, take 5 step + dropbacks while not being able to step up into the pocket and see anything would be hard for the oline to block and maybe not their fault?

And scrambles from clean pockets weekly. Probably so he can see downfield

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

11 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Ehhhhhh, yes and no

Yes, I think people would still have had an issue with Bryce had we been able to make the trade while giving up less assets.  

I personally never liked him as a prospect because I have eyes and a brain.  I never saw any film of him to where I looked at it and said, "now that's an NFL {insert attribute here}"  

He didn't have the speed, size, arm, strength.... nothing that screamed "he's an NFL player."

If we stayed put at 9 and he fell to us, would I have been upset at taking the chance on him there?  No, probably not, if a Heisman winner that many "experts" think has a mind that can overcome the rest of his issues falls to #9, sure, he's worth the risk at that point.

I think that's why he got rave reviews in training camp, why he looked good at Alabama, and why he's able to look halfway decent in the 4th quarter of these already decided games.  When he isn't facing a defense that is actively trying to attack him, he can make some magic happen.  But if he has to rely on his speed, strength or arm strength to make plays, he's so far below average that he just can't do it at this level.  

It's why I never understood the pick, you can coach up players mentally, but you can't coach a player to grow 4 inches and put on 30 lbs of muscle.

So in short, yes the trade is part of why people are so upset, but I don't think anyone would be happy with the player himself even if we were able to take him standing pat at #9.

Yeah that’s basically what I meant if we stayed at 9 or traded a 2nd rounder etc to move up a couple spots I think we’d all have a much better feeling about the team 

unfortunately that’s not the case, we traded our last offensive threat along with what’s looks to be a top 5 pick in a loaded draft for a guy that’s not the clear cut number 1 option of the 3 QBs chosen in the top 10 

I think the fluff articles, comments from the coaches and overall just unnecessary hype have soured fans as well, I mean I wouldn’t have been mad with byrce at 9 but again history has told us that only 2-3 QBs of that stature have panned out…..it’s just not smart business ultimately 

• Pie 1

Giving up your best offensive weapons to trade for a qb was the mistake.  If you're going to go all in for a rookie you better have plenty of help for him. The FO chose to keep an overrated defensive player that could have been a much better trade and let the rookie try to do it all. They do everything ass backwards. 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Yeah that’s basically what I meant if we stayed at 9 or traded a 2nd rounder etc to move up a couple spots I think we’d all have a much better feeling about the team 

unfortunately that’s not the case, we traded our last offensive threat along with what’s looks to be a top 5 pick in a loaded draft for a guy that’s not the clear cut number 1 option of the 3 QBs chosen in the top 10 

I think the fluff articles, comments from the coaches and overall just unnecessary hype have soured fans as well, I mean I wouldn’t have been mad with byrce at 9 but again history has told us that only 2-3 QBs of that stature have panned out…..it’s just not smart business ultimately 

Yes, feel better about the team, as in our future, but I wouldn't feel any better about Bryce the player.

He's just a classic example of someone who's skills were good enough to work in college and his "super brain" then took him to a different level.  But since he doesn't have NFL level abilities, his "super brain" isn't able to make up for the lack of them, no matter how smart he might be.

I think Bryce is going to be the next Dan Orlovsky or Kellen Moore.

Someone who didn't have the physical abilities to make it in the league, but will excel in either the media or as an OC because of how he's able to see the game on a different level than others.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, NAS said:

If you think Stroud would do anything more than marginally better than Bryce in this offense, you're just being a prisoner of the moment regarding his fit in Houston which is a much better coached team.

Stop....just stop. It was people on this very forum who said stroud would struggle this year because of coaching and roster on the texans. Furthermore, we have no idea how he do here with a better o line, slightly better run game, and with a coach who according to rumors preferred him in the first place. The coach ended up with a guy who allegedly he didn't WANT, so it isnt crazy that currently that QB is struggling in that coaches offense. He cant even use him on qb sneaks or under center for majority of games for godsakes...so just applying all those factors to stroud and saying he would struggle too is just careless and baseless. Stroud is also making throws bryce will not or just flat out missing and isnt carelessly TURNING IT OVER most importantly. It has nothing to do with being a prisoner of the moment, stroud is off to an historical start on a rebuilding inexperienced team with a OC who use to be a defensive guy and is learning how to be a OC. Stroud is showing traits to elevate any team he is on, not just a benefit of his circumstance no matter how much yall keep pushing the narrative. 

You take your shot when you get the chance. We won 7 games last year with a pretty horrific QB situation. 

The OL was one of the best in the league. 

The defense had multiple pro bowl caliber players (if healthy). 

We were actually set up to drop a QB in and compete for the South….in part bc the South is horrible. 

For whatever reason it’s not clicking. Reich has to get some guys back and figure out why. But trading for Bryce wasn’t a bad move. He was arguably the best player in CFB every week he stepped on the field.