• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The only hope I see: complete and total disengagement from David Tepper

Mr. Scot

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

(okay, one more thread)

The Panthers are in a bad state right now, with no clear or obvious path to a successful future. Unfortunately, as all too often happens in the corporate world, the person primarily in charge of helping us find that path is the single least qualified individual in the entire organization.

That's why my hope for the team to crawl out of its quagmire is one extremely important step...

David Tepper needs to completely abstain from any and all current and future football decisions.

That means hiring, that means firing, that means promoting, that means adjusting, that means reorganizing, that means deemphasizing, that means title changes, that means office assignments..all of it. I don't want to see a single decision made anywhere from the top of the food chain down to the newest scouting intern or the most lowly coaching assistant until someone genuinely qualified is put in charge of those choices.

Obviously, I have my thoughts about what should be done and others have theirs. We may or may not agree on the specifics, but I'd say the one thing upon which we can have damn near universal agreement is that David Tepper should not be making those calls, and it goes without saying (or ought to, at least) that neither should Nicole.

Bring in someone with a proven resumé of success, let them review the team from top to bottom and follow whatever recommendations they give. Tepper needs to take his hands completely off the reins and let them be given to that person before anything else happens.  

To be clear, we don't have to wait until the offseason to get this started either. Contractual situations might prevent the team from making an outside hire, but absolutely nothing (outside of his own ego) would prevent David Tepper from stepping back. That needs to happen right now and the correct decision maker can then be found as soon as its possible to bring them in.

My wish list for who needs to fill that role has long included one name, Kevin Colbert. If it winds up being someone else though, as long as they have an equally proven track record (FYI: that's a short list) I'll sign on. Don't care who gets hired, fired or whatever as long as someone I trust is doing it.

David Tepper is not that someone.

Bottom Line: Be it major changes, minor tweaks or a complete overhaul, I'll support it as long as the recommendation comes from a guy who knows what they're doing. 

Find that guy and let him get to work.

"Nicole Tepper, the chief administrative officer of the team..."

Be it: Robert Irsay and his sons...Rankin Smith and his sons...Jerry Richardson and his sons...bringing in family to run the show rarely works.

He and his wife are going to make football decisions. Likely time to go back to following the Washington football organization. The "I want to win now" isn't going to work. Never has.

1 hour ago, Loyalty4Life said:

I like Tepper.

I think he has 2 things he goes by.  

1. You have to find your franchise QB.

2. He'll do everything he can to give the football people what they need or want and he's not afraid to put his money where his mouth is.

All this Tepper made the pick, Tepper dictated this or that is just speculation.  

Joe Brady wanted Teddy Bridgewater and when the Bucs came sniffing around we overpaid to make sure the new wonderkid OC had the guy he wanted.

Matt Rhule begs and pleaded for Sam Darnold.  We got Sam Darnold.  

Matt Rhule wanted Baker.  We got him Baker.

McAdodo wanted Matt Corral.  We traded up and got him Corral.

Half of a superstar staff all got together and went to the top 4 QB's workouts and pro days and the football people decided that Bryce Young was the best player.  There were zero people shocked when he went number one because outside of a week or so of rumors, overwhelmingly the vast majority of the football world agreed Bryce was the best prospect.

I think Tepper loves the team and being an owner and is very involved in the discussion but actually does fully allow his football people to makes decisions.

No matter what he does when it doesn't work, people look to place blame.  The worst thing the guy may have done since he's been the owner is allowing too many "football" people run the show.

To get Rhule he paid him like a top 10 coach with a 7 year deal and let him have roster control.  Rhule would have been the Giants coach had Tepper not backed up the Money truck.   Rapoport reported at the time it was down to Rhule or Josh McDaniels.  Tepper did decide on Rhule and it was a horrible mistake but this wasn't like some crazy Raiders 1st round draft pick out of nowhere.

After giving Rhule every chance to prove he could do something Tepper finally pulled the plug but during that time learned he needed a GM with experience and quality football people with NFL experience.  We had already added Fitterer who had worked with the Seahawks for 20 years and who worked with Dan Morgan, who we also added as assistant GM. Then, we built a coaching staff with multiple SB appearances, wins and experience.  The big reason that Reich ended up getting the job is his extensive ties with other coaches that allowed him to build this superstar staff.  The one thing we have up to our eyeballs is NFL football people contributing and making football decisions.

I fully concede that Tepper's big input was asking how are we going to get a franchise QB?  I agree with him in that if you don't have a franchise QB, it's really hard to do anything else.

Tepper sits down with all these football experts and asks what's the best path forward so we're a playoff team year in and year out.  They put together a plan with all these NFL stud coaches who have tons of experience.  They put together this plan.  Now, Tepper is going to give this giant barrel full of NFL football people ever chance to prove they know what they are doing and to see this plan through.

I like Tepper.

I like his patience to see if a well researched and thought out plan will succeed.

I like his money that he's not afraid to throw at resources to make this team better.

I like that he hates to lose and damn right if the super coaching staff I'm paying a bijillian dollars too goes 0-5 to start the season there are going to be some very F'N uncomfortable meetings after a loss.  

This poster is likely someone who works for the Panthers. David Tepper has the worst record in the NFL since he purchased the team. One and just one person is responsible for that.

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

12 hours ago, Loyalty4Life said:

Half of a superstar staff all got together and went to the top 4 QB's workouts and pro days and the football people decided that Bryce Young was the best player.  There were zero people shocked when he went number one because outside of a week or so of rumors, overwhelmingly the vast majority of the football world agreed Bryce was the best prospect.

Here's the problem - that doesn't seem to be the case at all.  It's being widely reported now that Frank and his staff were sold on CJ Stroud, but Tepper and wife wanted Young.  Most recently it was Rich Eisen talking about it, but there have been others.

• Beer 1

Wait! Young wasn't who Scott and Frank told Tepper they wanted a week out from the draft like the fluff peice said? That's crazy. It's almost like all of this was planned and that a lot more went on behind the scenes that wasn't released to fans as the offical version?

That's just crazy. No one has tried to pull that trick before. So all of those people questioning the PR stuff were not wearing tinfoil hats? But but it's in writing from an organization with a long history of quality and integrity that is so easy to trust at face value!

/s WTF. Tepper has left nothing but scraps to fight over regarding the Panthers

Edited by Waldo
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, Hogan said:

This poster is likely someone who works for the Panthers. David Tepper has the worst record in the NFL since he purchased the team. One and just one person is responsible for that.

Probably but sadly the internet has a lot of people who spend their team bootlicking. Just a few years ago if you said Tepper was a meddler you would be met with multiple replies telling you that you don't know what you're talking about.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Probably but sadly the internet has a lot of people who spend their team bootlicking. Just a few years ago if you said Tepper was a meddler you would be met with multiple replies telling you that you don't know what you're talking about.

I was very concerned the day they signed Bridgewater. I asked a friend: What are they doing? Why do you need to sign a QB in a rebuild?

March 2020 to March 2023. Bridgewater to Young. The same story every offseason. The names and faces change -- Hurney, Rhule, Fitt, Reich. But there's one name and face that doesn't change. 

Now there are two instead of one -- the wife is officially part of the Front Office.

This is and will continue to be a f------ disaster.

• Beer 1

Tepper is like someone who really wanted to play a video game but then decided to purchase a computer instead of the gaming console. Instead of actually purchasing said games he downloads the games off the World Wide Web and runs the games off gaming emulators. When the game becomes difficult he finds another rom which would allow him the option to apply cheat codes (unlimited lives, invincibility, etc.) that’s how he’s trying to run the panthers since buying them  

I grew up playing Pokemon blue and red on the gameboy and once I found out how to duplicate rare candies all my Pokemon were rare candied up to lvl 100  

what I soon realized is that Pokemon who were leveled up via rare candy cheat method were not as strong as Pokemon who went through the long gruesome leveling process  

Tepper is trying to cheat code rare candy this team and it shows