• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

wait ickey has been good this season?

micnificent28

Perhaps he's just a slow starter. Perhaps it's simply learning to thrive in a new system. Perhaps he needed to develop some working chemistry with new faces next to him. I think that he started turning the corner against the Seahawks where he blocked pretty well but had all those penalties. He's still a work in progress, but I think he'll be fine.

• Pie 3

There’s no way lol. I just went back and watched him in that QB school vid because I knew he got Bryce blown up on literally the first play but I wanted to see if there were any others. 3 out of the first 4 plays in that vid alone Ikey is getting beat by his man and giving up pressure. I just stopped after those 4 plays because there’s no way this stat is correct. Who knows how PFF is judging pressure based off this but Ikey was getting beat like a drum.

• Pie 3

Icky is a really good LT.  Time will tell if he can be elite.  We gave him quite a bit of help last year with chips and a power run game.  We didn't leave him out on an island as much because he has trouble with speed rushers and sometimes seems to just get downright lazy with his technique.  

I think this they are asking him to do some things that are not yet his strong suit.  Nothing wrong with that.  Everyone said his great skill was run blocking and being a maulter and finishing plays but he'd have to improve his pass blocking to be elite in the NFL.  

It does not help at all that we switched to a new scheme that doesn't mesh as well and that we've had so many injuries at guard.  So much of line play is the whole unit working together as one.  Hard to build that when guys keep going down.

I think Brown calling plays will not expose our line so much, give them more help and more play calls that don't ask them to straight up pass block man on man. 

Stunts are going to continue to kill us until our guards improve.  If I was a defense I would run some type of stunt on 75% of plays. We are beyond awful at stopping them.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Keep in mind that these sort of pressure numbers are entirely subjective, which is why if you cross-reference sites you'll see varying totals. Win rate is the better stat for OL/DL, imo. For pass block or run win rate among OTs, Ickey sadly isnt even in the top 20. With that being said I'm not out on Ickey yet, this place was ready to burn Derrick Brown at the stake during his sophomore slump; I feel he'll probably be fine in the long run. Also, we do have some appearances on the defensive line.

image.png.b77a5f6edb59fb07c4268bdd2a1ea16f.png
image.png.3e2d47b36ffbbe8e4a66ca40274bf904.png
image.thumb.png.2021927173074192692f48a8312110c6.png

31st as a team in run block win rate. Ouch.

Edited by beo
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, Mage said:

He's playing awful for a top ten selection.

Have I given up on him?  No, it can take OL time to develop.  But it is disappointing to see him regress so much in his 2nd year.

The scheme just doesn't fit his strengths at all. Honestly not Moton's either but I think his experience is able to carry him a little better.

• Pie 5