• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does playing in North Carolina suck as a professional athlete?

7 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

if the south embraced walkable cities it would be better here by a mile 

5 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Your argument is kind of moot i would say by the amount of players that live in the area after they retire.

I guess that’s kind of my point? It’s an awesome place to retire/have a family etc. But otherwise it’s very bland, and seems to lead to lackluster effort on the field.

• Poo 1

Would a 22 year old single dude w/ a lot of cash prefer Charlotte? Probably not.  They would prefer party hotspots. Would a married NFL player with a couple kids prefer it over a lot of the big cities?  Probably so. 

Where you are in life probably changes what NFL city you would rather be in.  

• Pie 5

17 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

if the south embraced walkable cities it would be better here by a mile 

For the urbanites.  For the suburbs, this isn't a big issue.  How walkable a city is ranks pretty low for people that choose to live in suburbia unless transplanting from up north.

3 hours ago, Teddy2SuperBowlHeartBreaks said:

Much like our boy CMC, I’ve been traded to the Bay Area. My firm is moving me there + a promotion/bonus. Mentally my toes are already in the sand of the beaches on the Pacific Ocean. I grew up here, left for college/mid twenties and came back expecting to spend the rest of my life here, but upon some reflection it’s one of the most uninspiring places in the US.  Creativity and ingenuity are stifled here.  “This is how we’ve always done it” should be the State slogan. Ive figured out why the Panthers (and Hornets) suck. Charlotte sucks, and to some extend North Carolina sucks. In a way that is what makes it North Carolina but for anyone really striving for “more” in life than Bojangles and winning the powerball it’s basically Mississippi.

This is just my personal experience and it means very little but I wonder how it must feel playing professional sports in the “city” of Charlotte. I can’t imagine anybody on the Panthers roster puts on the uniform and plays “for the city” like they do in Pittsburgh, Philly, Dallas etc. There isn’t anything about Charlotte or Raleigh that make them “special” or unique, and they only have teams because of the population. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that so many former players ball out when they leave here. 

moving to the bay area is neither a promotion or a bonus

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Everywhere is boring if you live there long enough.

I have lived in or worked in about 45 states so far. There are always positives and minuses everywhere.

Also almost every state has super shitty areas and nice areas.

I will say that it is very nice to not have to deal with a lot of the moronic Bible Belt BS in most other areas of the country.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Flames 1