• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns draft classmate (edge rusher) inks new deal

ncfan

7 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

These comments are hilarious!

Im going to be the happiest person on the huddle when Burns gets paid. The fact that he played injured tells me a deal has to be close. No way you play a injured Burns if you plan on trading him.

Stanley?  How ya been

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Do I think it makes sense to pay Burns $30M? No. I’d that currently the market price? Pretty much.

In the end this is an absolute failure of the front office. If you weren’t willing to pay him what the market is asking, you should have traded him. 

• Pie 2

As a percent of total cap, at 30 million per year we would be paying Burns less than what we paid Peppers when we franchise tagged him back in '09.  Approximately 11% versus 14%. I remember thinking that 16 million deal was outrageous at the time. I mean a million dollars a game, who deserves that!

Folks get hung up on the total dollar amount, but the cap has been going up steadily every year , outside of 2020. Whatever deal we make now is going to look cheap in three to four years.

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

This is why you make these decisions early. If you weren’t going to pay him you should have traded him. Now 30M is the starting point. 

Yeah, he should have been gone last year. You either had a plan to resign him or you were just incompetent. Turns out it was the latter.

Every day since we didn't trade him, his price tag has gone up. Not because he is playing to it, because the market keeps moving.

#Fittermagic

• Pie 1

I don't Care what the huddle thinks pay Burns. He has done everything asked of him even showed up to camp when others like Bosa held out. If he wants 30 hes earned it with 2 pro bowls. Being cheap 5-10 mil isnt helping us when we use said cap on bums like miles sanders and Haden Hurst. Pay thr guys who do show up. He's earned it.

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Pay the man, and pair him with another edge guy like Reddick and let them eat 

current gm is clueless on replacing the talent he’s shipping off 

32 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I don't Care what the huddle thinks pay Burns. He has done everything asked of him even showed up to camp when others like Bosa held out. If he wants 30 hes earned it with 2 pro bowls. Being cheap 5-10 mil isnt helping us when we use said cap on bums like miles sanders and Haden Hurst. Pay thr guys who do show up. He's earned it.

These guys know football. Never change guys. Most of the huddle are just Madden junkies who think they real life GM's. They think every star should be traded for picks. We just loss CMC and Moore and have nothing to show for it so far.

Burns is at worst a top 2 player on the team. Keep him.

• Pie 5

At this point, people thinking Burns isn’t worth $30 mil per are delusional. 

I don’t mean that as an insult. The market is the market. 

It would have been nice getting the deal done earlier because it would have been less, but the numbers only go up over time. 

We naturally have certain numbers stick in our head, but it always inflates. Then we say things like “well this guy makes this much and he’s better than Burns so Burns shouldn’t make more”, but it’s irrational because Burns is getting his contract after that “better player” and the market has adjusted. 

That’s why every QB contract is the “richest QB contract in history.” 

It always goes up. So does the cap. 

A lesser pass rusher just got a deal we don’t think Burns is worth…but that’s your opinion, and not the opinion of front offices in the NFL. Clearly. 

• Pie 4

56 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

These guys know football. Never change guys. Most of the huddle are just Madden junkies who think they real life GM's. They think every star should be traded for picks. We just loss CMC and Moore and have nothing to show for it so far.

Burns is at worst a top 2 player on the team. Keep him.

Most of the guys like me who think we should have traded him last year realized then that we should have been going into full rebuild mode. I said it then, those 1sts could have been valuable in trying to trade for the 1st pick if we had chosen to do so. We wouldn't have needed to ship off DJ. We could have shipped off a Rams 2025 1st instead. 

Burns is gonna get paid. That's pretty much a done deal, or at least should be. Do I think he's worth 30m per season as an edge rusher that's a liability against the run? No. But what I think doesn't really matter. Personally, if I'm being honest, Luvu has been more of a defensive force than Burns going back to last year. 

Tepper and this FO have been shitting the bed for the past few seasons and we have very little to show for it. Picks, like players, are a commodity and they all have value. Do I think we could have done more with 2 1sts, a 2nd and 30m in cap space and a competent front office? Absolutely. Too bad we lack the latter. 

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Here's the thing people get caught up in. Everyone is comparing 30m to the deals signed before Bosa reset the market for edges. 

In 2 years 30m for an edge is going to be 5th or 6th in pay at best. So he would be taking 2nd tier pass rush money at 30m. 

If people are freaking out now, I cannot imagine this place when Young signs his second deal. We haven't had to pay QB's for a while.