• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Serious question: what HC candidate in their right mind would want to come here?

t96

10 minutes ago, Coheed said:

Good candidates with options? None.

will people still want the job? Ofc, there is some truth to the “only 32 teams…” mantra *but*, the best candidates with options will absolutely not want anything to do with here with Tepper at the helm.

we aren’t getting Ben Johnson, or Slowik, or the next McDaniels, or a Demeco. The only appeal for working for our org at this point is salary. 

its fugging sad

This. Of course someone will take a highly lucrative job. But will someone who has other similar options take it? I highly doubt it.

• Pie 1

I think it might affect some candidates. Some people are just so confident in themselves that they believe they can make it work. Some people realize how rare these jobs are and will take it because they might not get another opportunity. Look at the Texans history. Ryans still took the job and appears to be at least, a ‘good’ young coach. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And this is bullsh-t 😡

David Tepper is an absolute moron.

Lol, you were wrong about Reich. It happens. Why is this Tepper’s fault? Do you think he told sources or do you think Frank let people know he was fired. You had to blame Rhule for Fitterer and were wrong that Fitterer was good. Reich has been abysmal and you were wrong about that and so you have to blame Tepper for everything.

What should Tepper have done? Hold Frank in a room for hours while telling everyone else or did you want him to let all the staff know first and make Frank the last to know? I know with the latter you would have said it was BS too.

Frank should have been the first to know and he let other people know. Tepper obviously told Tabor and Caldwell (the coaches) know next since they were part of the announcement.

If Tabor and Brown can get the offense moving again with Caldwell maybe we have a chance at not giving up the 1OA.

Im not sure theres anything to be done though. I am not enough of a football person to understand what happened to the Offensive Line but they all seem like they forgot how to play football collectively.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Toker Smurf said:

I think it might affect some candidates. Some people are just so confident in themselves that they believe they can make it work. Some people realize how rare these jobs are and will take it because they might not get another opportunity. Look at the Texans history. Ryans still took the job and appears to be at least, a ‘good’ young coach. 

Ryans is doing fine but it helps that his GM drafted Stroud, Anderson and Dell this draft. If Fitterer had been fired with Rhule, Frank might have lasted longer.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. Of course someone will take a highly lucrative job. But will someone who has other similar options take it? I highly doubt it.

We’ll be able to find a coach and we’ll have options. Will we pick the right guy? Who knows. I will say that I actually think a new guy will have way more benefit of the doubt given how bad a team we actually are now.

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

We’ll be able to find a coach and we’ll have options. Will we pick the right guy? Who knows. I will say that I actually think a new guy will have way more benefit of the doubt given how bad a team we actually are now.

That's what I said. Our options will include all the folks who don't have other NFL HC opportunities.

I'm considering applying. It'd be cool to get a meatball dinner out of the deal.

6 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Slow start? C’mon, we went from 7-10 clear issues but sort of competitive to the worst team in the league. This isn’t a slow start, this was a march to 1-16.

I’d imagine that we’ll have plenty of candidates and they’ll have a much longer leash because it’s obvious that our talent level has been gutted so we are absolutely in rebuild mode. Reich and Fitt promised we were on compete mode.

First, I’m glad they didn’t make Evero interim because he deserves a real chance without a stigma attached to his results.

Second, I’m a lot more interested now than I was a half hour ago because Reich was legit terrible.

Last, I have no faith that we will pick the right guys with Tepper, especially if we don’t get rid of Fitterer first. We need a GM/scouts that actually know what they are doing. Look at the Rams and Texans. They were shitty teams devoid of talent, but they drafted much better than us just this past draft and are in a lot better place than us. Chicago has a bright future it seems with picks because they fleeced the poo out of us.

Tack on the Colts to the Rams and Texans.  Colts and Texans were both viewed in the same tier as us, honestly, probably lower, and they bumped up with the right management and coaching situations. 

They accrued legit talent (Richardson, Brents, Downs in IND | Stroud, Anderson, Dell, Hutchinson in HOU)

This was a disaster.  Reich getting out the remaining 7 games does help IMO.  It eliminates a chef and allows for a bit more sharpening of an approach.  Less mess to help show what we've got in the crap that appears to be an offense.  

But more importantly, truth in that Fitterer needs to go.  We've netted zero true impact players under his drafting and FA work.  He did okay with a few safeties in FA, and that's really it in what I would say is 2.5 true years without Rhule overrides.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

meant to write "legit HC candidate." sure we can get plenty of scrubs like Rhule or Reich who just want a HC job but no way we get a HC that other, well-run teams would also be interested in.

There are only so many openings each year.  Outside of big-name HCs like Jim Harbaugh and Sean Payton, who will have teams interested in them guaranteed every single year, young HCs don't have the same ability or security to pick-and-choose.  Because you can get fired so quick.  Or what if your offense underwhelms due to circumstances out of your control?  You went from being a hot candidate to someone teams aren't interested in.

Again, I get the concern.  But there really isn't anything to be concerned about.  Not to mention the $$$$.  Coordinators / assistant coaches aren't going to turn that down and risk not being pursued or hired in the next cycle.  Hell, look at Brian Daboll.  It took him YEARS to get a HC job.  Imagine if he turned down the New York money and then the Bills offense regressed under him?  

People will point to Ben Johnson but like I said in another thread, he's a big exception.  And Detroit IMO was a very special situation.  The energy in that city and with that team is different.  It made sense why Ben Johnson wanted to give it another go.  

Now anything can happen.  So we'll see.  But I would be shocked if there wasn't interest in this job.  Sure a guy like Harbaugh probably won't be that interested, but plenty of young coaches and up-and-coming offensive minds will be.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Lol, you were wrong about Reich. It happens. Why is this Tepper’s fault? Do you think he told sources or do you think Frank let people know he was fired. You had to blame Rhule for Fitterer and were wrong that Fitterer was good. Reich has been abysmal and you were wrong about that and so you have to blame Tepper for everything.

What should Tepper have done? Hold Frank in a room for hours while telling everyone else or did you want him to let all the staff know first and make Frank the last to know? I know with the latter you would have said it was BS too.

Frank should have been the first to know and he let other people know. Tepper obviously told Tabor and Caldwell (the coaches) know next since they were part of the announcement.

You're seriously going to defend David Tepper?

Have fun with that one 🙄