• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RB Coach Duce Staley and QB Coach Josh McCown fired

jamos14

I am actually not at all surprised by firing McCown.  Who McCown may or may not have wanted is not at all relevant.  You have to coach the guys on your squad.  What is relevant is that Bryce has regressed as a player since coming here.

It seems like more and more folks are finally catching on to how bad BY's mechanics have been this year.  If you aren't, go look for the threads here, lots of good links in them.  Then go back and watch his Bama footage.  His mechanics are far better then.  That falls squarely on the shoulders of McCown as the QB coach.

I don't expect improvement this year.  Hopefully Bryce has the self awareness to look at his own tape this offseason and realize there is a problem.  Hopefully he will look to work on it on his own.

But as much as I respect McCown's ability to watch tape, whatever methods he was using to coach Bryce up were not working.

• Pie 8

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Not surprised by the McCown firing. I always felt he was an overrated and odd choice since he had only ever coached some high school football prior to this gig. Staley being let go is a bit of a surprise though.

This is my take as well. He might have been a pro Stroud guy but he also hasn’t seem to develop Bryce much at all.

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, frankw said:

McCown gone already? So much for having conviction.

So were they actually fired or did they basically say they no longer wanted any part of this?

I'm getting the vibe we are going to hear some things in the coming months about how the Bryce Young selection went down and it won't be pretty.

It’s not hard to figure out. They’re clearing the offices of people not all in on Bryce. 

Bryce will get a season with a new group. Then we’ll find out about Bryce. 

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

McCown fired over Bryce, a quarterback that wasn't his choice.

Staley fired over Sanders I guess, but Hubbard and Blackshear were both improved over last year.

Chuba isn't really improved over last year. He just seems better because of how bad Sanders has been, but I haven't seen any development from Chuba. He's our best RB but the cupboard is pretty damn thin.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1