• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SBNation ranks potential HC candidates

PanthersATL

My initial list:

• Ben Johnson (was the favorite last cycle)
  • Kellen Moore (was a finalist last cycle)
  • Ejiro Evero (young, well regarded, Tepper has already paid him well and complimented his unit)
  • Bobby Slowik (why not steal the primary coach for the OROY)
  • Jim Caldwell (an interesting option if you want to leave the rest of the high-priced coaching staff in place; Ejiro at DC and Thomas at OC)

I don't see a DC type other than Evero getting a chance. Basically, any hire will be encouraged to keep Evero (and Tabor) on staff and a defensive type coach would make that redundant. I'm on the fence with Bienemy since he interviewed a few cycles ago; I'm not sure if they would want to bring him back in (not saying they shouldn't).

Edited by Evil Hurney

7 minutes ago, CanMan11 said:

Tua is garbage we might as well move on from Bryce if we think Tua is his best comp .. wait until the Dolphins go one and done because Tua is the weak link of that team

I have never understood the optimism in Bryce based off Tua. If that is the benchmark then this experiment definitely isnt going anywhere.

• Pie 4

Slowik will be a popular name because of Stroud, but what I'd guess is that 99% of the Huddle won't know that Texans fans hated Slowik after they lost to Carolina. He was criticized for everything we know and love--conservative playcalling, not trusting his QB, etc. Even Stroud had a comment in the the following presser that some in Houston interpreted as him taking a shot at Slowik for the playcalling.

On the other hand, they seem to have a very 2023 player-coach power dynamic down there. There was the instance where Stroud, Slowik, and some other players drew up a play on the sideline to exploit a weakness that they saw in the D. The players brought that to Slowik and he went with it. We all know that's not happening amongst the old school "see but not be heard" type of staff here.

If Bryce is the brain that he was made out to be, working with Slowik might be good.

11 minutes ago, Evil Hurney said:

My initial list:

• Ben Johnson (was the favorite last cycle)
  • Kellen Moore (was a finalist last cycle)
  • Ejiro Evero (young, well regarded, Tepper has already paid him well and complimented his unit)
  • Bobby Slowik (why not steal the primary coach for the OROY)
  • Jim Caldwell (an interesting option if you want to leave the rest of the high-priced coaching staff in place; Ejiro at DC and Thomas at OC)

I don't see a DC type other than Evero getting a chance. Basically, any hire will be encouraged to keep Evero (and Tabor) on staff and a defensive type coach would make that redundant. I'm on the fence with Bienemy since he interviewed a few cycles ago; I'm not sure if they would want to bring him back in (not saying they shouldn't).

If Tepper mandates that the new hire keep Evero and other staff, then I think you're either going to get a desperate first-time or retread HC with no other options (Bienemy, McDaniels) or an internal promotion (whether that's Evero himself, Caldwell, or Tabor). 

If you want to get someone like Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik, or hell, Jim Harbaugh, you can't handcuff them on picking their staff.

Edited by UNCrules2187

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I have never understood the optimism in Bryce based off Tua. If that is the benchmark then this experiment definitely isnt going anywhere.

?

Tua is in the MVP conversation this year and playing really really well? 4th in yards, 3rd in TDs, 4th in TD%, 1st in 1st down conversions, 2nd in Y/A... Why don't you want that?

He was great (When healthy) last season as well. Why do you think he sucks?

• Pie 2

Very hard no on both Flores and Bienemy (and don't @ me with crap about them both being black, has absolutely NOTHING to do with it)

This team is broken, we need a unifier as our next HC, someone who can rally the troops and get them to run through a brick wall to get the job done.  Both Flores and Bienemy are well known for causing problems in their own building, their players hate playing for them, and are successful OC's because they're good football minds, but it's their HC's that the players want to play hard for, not the OC's that they can't stand.

Sometimes those coaches work out, but it's not the right fit for this situation right now.  I also don't think we can get a Ben Johnson type right now, a young, up and coming offensive minded coach isn't risking their HC future on Bryce.  

But what we need is to replicate what Detroit has done though, find a HC like Campbell, someone who may not be the most innovative coaching mind out there, but someone who is a leader of men, someone who players will rally behind.  Then find a young innovative mind to be his OC, which I think is much more reasonable for someone to be willing to take on than our HC opening.