• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hot take: We need a defensive-oriented coach

TN05

Let's be real here. We've had exactly three somewhat-successful coaches in team history - Dom Capers, John Fox, and Ron Rivera. All of them were defensive coaches. Our three attempts at offensive coaches (George Seifert, Matt Rhule, and Frank Reich) didn't pan out. As-is, the strength of this team is definitely defense, and it has been for a while now. I think the right coach could make this unit something special. It's certainly easier to repair than the offense.

In the short-term, this team could easily be reworked to have a top-tier defense - and at that point, your offensive needs become a lot more clear. Plus, giving Bryce - or whatever quarterback we have in 2025 - a top-tier defense takes a ton of weight off a young quarterback. It's no surprise Cam Newton's third year - the year with the best defense of the recent Panthers era - was a playoff year.

Anyway, agree or disagree, I hope the coach is good, but I'd love to not see another desperate attempt to revolutionize the offense.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Matt Rhule wasn't an offensive coach, he was a college coach and that is all he will ever be.

Frank Reich was often mistaken to be the OC for the Eagles in the SB, but it was Pederson. He was often mistaken for being the OC in Indy, but it was Siriani. he is outdated.

we do in fact need to get with times and have a young offensive coach like McDaniels, Shannahan, Siriani.

• Pie 5

Seifert was a defensive HC, fyi. 

My problem with hiring a defensive minded HC is that we will get off to a hot start with a good offensive coordinator, and then that OC goes on to be a HC and our offense takes a nose dive.

By the way, the only two defensive minded HCs that have won a Superbowl since 06 has been Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll. 

Face facts, it's an offensive driven league and you really need a good offense to succeed. The right call was going offensive minded HC, we just need a younger coach to adapt to today's offensive style.

The only exception I could see us going defensive minded is if we get a DeMeco Ryans type and we could potentially already have that on our team with Evero.

We need a great coach and a great playcaller. They don't need to be the same person. People seem too stuck on the head coach having to call plays but that's absolutely not necessary and sometimes detrimental when it causes the coach to be overstretched. 

Two of the biggest turnarounds in recent history don't have offensive coaches: Houston and Detroit. 4 of the best coaches of this generation are not offensive: Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't hire an OC as the next head coacb. I'd be super excited if we could nab Ben Johnson. I just don't think we should be completely hellbent on hiring an OC that we essentially rule out hiring a DC from the jump. We just need to make sure any new head coach has a plan to bring along a promising offensive coordinator to fix this offense.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

We need a great coach and a great playcaller. They don't need to be the same person. People seem too stuck on the head coach having to call plays but that's absolutely not necessary and sometimes detrimental when it causes the coach to be overstretched. 

Two of the biggest turnarounds in recent history don't have offensive coaches: Houston and Detroit. 4 of the best coaches of this generation are not offensive: Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't hire an OC as the next head coacb. I'd be super excited if we could nab Ben Johnson. I just don't think we should be completely hellbent on hiring an OC that we essentially rule out hiring a DC from the jump. We just need to make sure any new head coach has a plan to bring along a promising offensive coordinator to fix this offense.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Johnson and Slowik get their shots at HC. 

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

After Matt Rhule's firing, Steve Wilks steps into unwinnable spot too many  Black coaches have found themselves

I need this on my wall. The last hope of the Panthers. WE DON'T TANK!!! WE PROTECT THE BANK!!!

He meant that. The other coaches we've had since Rivera just been running Tepper's pockets and robbing the bank.

This is how I look every fugin' Sunday while getting ready to sit down for 3 hours and suffer through this piss poor product Tepper has been putting on the field. Idgaf who he hires next as long as he gets the fug out the way and let's the football people handle the football decisions.

The Clausen season was bad, the Weinke season was bad, but these are dark times we are in under Tepper's ownership.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1