• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking Derrick Brown's Season

Seltzer

Brown and Luvu are the easiest decisions one could make for an extension. Fitt will Fug it up, I have no doubt about that, but any competent organization would make this a layup process. On a team as horrible as we are, you need guys like them to BUILD AROUND. You see what happened when we move away from your proven top tier talent (CMC, DJ Moore)…..it’s not pretty when you do.

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 8
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Sign Brown and get rid of Burns.

4 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Brown and Luvu are the easiest decisions one could make for an extension. Fitt will Fug it up, I have no doubt about that, but any competent organization would make this a layup process. On a team as horrible as we are, you need guys like them to BUILD AROUND. You see what happened when we move away from your proven top tier talent (CMC, DJ Moore)…..it’s not pretty when you do.

If im Tepper I would just hire you both as GM team because you make sense and are saying things that you would think Fitt. would realize at this point. I mean how in the hell has he gotten this far in life making decisions as he does? 

Absolutely love Brown! I hope we can keep him as a staple on our defense. He's a beast and his numbers don't tell the tale fully. He has improved a lot, especially his strength. Crazy that he plays damn near every snap on D, and has the stamina to keep it up. As his skill continues to improve, I anticipate that we'll see his sack numbers go up accordingly. He's our Aaron Donald, maybe not as quick but damn sure as strong. 

Adding to that is that he plays close to 100% of snaps, which is crazy at his size. And the effort is always 100%. 

Him and Luvu (and potentially Horn) are pieces to build around. They are also great for the team culture.

I like Burns, but we are better off tagging and trading him, using that money to overpay a top WR and O-lineman.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

In spite of this awful season, Derrick Brown is having one of the very best defensive performances in franchise history.  I was thinking about where his performance stacks up against historic Panther performances.

In my completely unscientific internal polling, I rate the top 5, but this is by no means definitive:

1) 2013 Luke Kuechly- Won only DPOY in franchise history.  Generational season for a generational career.

2) 2008 Julius Peppers- Career highs in sacks (14.5) and FF (5) for the soon to be 1st Ballot HOF

3) 2015 Josh Norman-Consensus best CB in the NFL that year.  Wonder if he would have had better late season career switching to safety

4) 2015 Kawaan Short- Best interior pass rusher in the league that season and the best pass rusher season for a Panthers DT

5 Tie) 2023 Derrick Brown- Doesn't have the stats of some of these other performances, but his win rate on pass & run is at the top for DT's and anyone watching the games can see just how dominant he has been.  Should be 1st Team All-Pro IMHO

5 Tie) 2003 Kris Jenkins- 1st Team All-Pro.  Arguably best DT in the league outside of Warren Sapp

There may be some others but those are the ones that come to mind for me.  Any thoughts?

Derrick Brown is the reason our D is stuffing the run.  Best DT in franchise history, and that includes Kris Jenkins, who was very good.  He plays more snaps, runs to the whistle, and draws double teams. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1