• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Panthers Should NOT want Ben Johnson

Mills

13 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Yeah I wanted Ben Johnson before the season but now I have cooled on that idea.

The fact Tepper has him as his #1 target is enough for me to know he's not the right HC. He's just another yes man Tepper will control.

I don’t want Ben Johnson as my first choice but he’s the hot candidate across the board so it’s not just a Tepper thing.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Yep

sometimes I believe no matter what is done, it’s luck

..even considering probabilities and risk management 

when Tepper hired Reich plus all the other coaches, he was hedging his bets by

having a Young Evero on his staff plus the others but here we are…again 

Everything in the NFL is luck. One thing about Tepper I like is he will lean into a sunk cost. I’d say more than 50% of the owners would have given Reich another year. I remember how we all on here knew Rhule was trash early into season 2 yet he got a third year where Tepper had to do a mid season firing. He learned his lesson there at least 

• Pie 4

4 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Everything in the NFL is luck. One thing about Tepper I like is he will lean into a sunk cost. I’d say more than 50% of the owners would have given Reich another year. I remember how we all on here knew Rhule was trash early into season 2 yet he got a third year where Tepper had to do a mid season firing. He learned his lesson there at least 

Yes, but the problem is he learned it to well and overcompensate in the other direction.

Most people will, if possible, avoid places with that kind of irrational behavior in the management.

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've seen the results of Tepper hiring "leaders of men". Rhule was a "leader of men". Reich was a "leader of men". Wilks was the best of his "leaders of men".

I feel like when you have to hang your hat on a guy being a "leader of men" to justify your hire it's because you're fresh out of football justifications. Watch clips of Mike McDaniel. Does that guy strike you as a "leader of men"? He seems like an 19 year old TikToker. But it doesn't matter because the guy knows fuging football and that's what actually gets the respect of NFL players over the long haul. "Leaders of men" might pull the wool over their eyes in the short term but ultimately these guys want successful careers with wins, legacies, and fat ass bank accounts and "leaders of men" can only do so much. Football savants can do a lot more. I don't know that that's what Ben Johnson is but I definitely know that I don't give a fug whether or not he's a "leader of men".

We don’t need a leader of men coach. That’s what an established team needs.

We need teachers. The best teams always have them. The whole leader of men BS is really short lived type coaches who never evolve or adjust and only do well with teams loaded with veteran talent.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, onmyown said:

We don’t need a leader of men coach. That’s what an established team needs.

We need teachers. The best teams always have them. The whole leader of men BS is really short lived type coaches who never evolve or adjust and only do well with teams loaded with veteran talent.

eg. Ron Rivera every odd numbered year

• Pie 2