• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It sucks giving up the 1st overall pick...

t96

11 minutes ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

I watched the games too, with open eyes. The O-line is problematic, but Bryce is the problem. In fact, Bryce creates problems for both the O-line and the receivers because his footwork, timing, arm strength, accuracy, decision making, processing, and pocket awareness are all absolutely atrocious. 

The oline issues have cause the footwork issues, because bryce can't depend on them. The oline is also responsible foe the bad timing.  Pocket awareness is not normally a strong suit for rookies.   His accuracy his fantastic when he can set his feet.  

My eyes are always wide open. 

19 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

I simply don't feel Young is anywhere near a bust. The oline has been horrible most of the season.  With protection, young has proven he can carve up defenses.  

This last Sunday's game thenoline couldn't block an inanimate object. As much as yall are calling Icky a bust at LT, he was our rightist graded lineman from that game. 

I don't care how good a QB is, they don't stand a chance to be able to perform when their oline is incapable of protecting him. 

Young has been sacked over 50 times already. 

Stop ignoring how bad the lines play is. No matter that the modern NFL more resembles 2 hand touch,  the play in the trenches still is imperative to good play on either side of the ball. 

My dude.  You keep throwing this 50 sack number out like it's all on our line and the truth is it's not.

Let me throw some numbers at you.  Bear in mind these are team stats, not player stats, which is important since many teams have used multiple QB's this year.  First, pressure rate.

image.thumb.png.d28c29db5bfd5a930120bcbb05e30d79.png

Our pressure rate is similar to that of the Browns, Lions and Chiefs . . . three playoff teams.  The Bengals and the Texans also had similar pressure rates - two pretty good teams.  Will Levis with the Titans has done pretty well (compared to Bryce) with more pressure.  Despite having the lowest pressure rate in the league, how has Taysom / Jameis / Carr looked in New Orleans?

Now, look at pocket time.  The time from snap until either the ball is out or pressure arrives.

image.thumb.png.f872fda44193925881fad68716bd1199.png

Interesting that the two teams with the highest pocket times also have higher pressure rates than we do.  BY's pocket time is within a tenth of a second of the vast majority of the league.  Also interesting that Stroud shows the exact same pocket time as Bryce.  Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

A great deal of our problems this year has been our QB's inability to make fast decisions.  Our OL certainly must shoulder it's share of the blame, but it's not the only problem.  Likely it's not even the main problem.  Just looking at it statistically, Stroud has been given largely the same sort of protection that Young has been given.  Yet Stroud manages to make those fast decisions and get the ball out either to a receiver or out of play.

Our team is bad.  Our scheme is bad.  Both can be true.  Just like we can have a bad QB and a bad OL.

Edited by BrianS
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 4

58 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The oline issues have cause the footwork issues, because bryce can't depend on them. The oline is also responsible foe the bad timing.  Pocket awareness is not normally a strong suit for rookies.   His accuracy his fantastic when he can set his feet.  

Don't insult my intelligence, boi!

His footwork has always been terrible since at least his days at Alabama. You rarely ever see him do a standard 3-, 5-, or 7-step drop. Instead, he just saunters backward like a tranquilized raccoon and then does his signature midget-hop like he's twitching on some designer drug. How TF is he gonna get the timing down with that bullsh!t footwork, not to mention generate enough zip for passes into tight NFL windows? And how TF are the linemen (especially the interior) supposed to block for him when he never gives them enough depth to work with?

Your golden boy also holds onto the ball forever, because his little mouse brain overheats as soon as the reads get just a little tough, so much so that he has no spare mental capacity for basic pocket awareness and navigation, such as climbing the pocket or stepping away from the pressure. He just pogo hops or stands on the same spot like a carboard standie and eats sacks. Even when he tries to get away from pressure, which he almost always does when it's already too freaking late, he doesn't have the speed to outrun defenders, and because he's so tiny, one hand on his shoulder pad is enough to make him eat turf.

The fact is that our O-line gives Bryce plenty of time to make throws. Plenty of time. It's his fault that his fundamentals are so atrocious and his processing so slow that he can't hit open receivers on time or make bare minimum NFL-level throws accurately and consistently or avoid sacks to extend plays. 

Man, GTFO with your stupid ass hot takes!

681172919_Screenshot2023-12-31at17-23-002023NFLAdvancedStatsPro-Football-Reference_com.png.78cceaf67051452a6429f097e10c284c.thumb.png.75498673870cf83fbdfb0e66dcbe6b38.png

1181778756_Screenshot2024-01-03at14-04-322023NFLAdvancedStatsPro-Football-Reference_com.thumb.png.fd56595464c048ecd185aa604ab59b2e.png

1826086829_Screenshot2023-12-31at17-20-492023NFLAdvancedStatsPro-Football-Reference_com.png.ddc63b26ad4d4ae1b10f956a84d703a5.thumb.png.5459cdc575be2d819261b2dd8c83bf34.png

Edited by BenjaminBreeg
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I mean, if you look at the last 15 #1 overall picks before Bryce Young.....12 of the 15 were Pro Bowl players.  And one of those that wasn't was the last pick only going on his 2nd year.  It's been about as auto of a non-bust as draft picks can get of late.   They haven't all been franchise changers but that's a hard pick to give away. 

And only 1 of those teams won a SB with that 1st overall pick on the team and by that point in his career, the Chiefs could've easily won that SB without Fisher (won another without him a couple years later anyways). Pro bowl is also an absolute joke lately, seems like half the starters in the league have at least 1 pro bowl appearance since so many first (and even second and third) choices drop out each year. Looking through the list of those picks, I count 5, maybe 6 actual impact players out of the last 15.

Best way to improve the odds of not drafting a bust isn't having higher picks, it's having a better GM and front office. Teams with sustained success hit on their picks year in and year out despite always picking later in each round. Yes it sucks to give up 1st overall pick, having a good GM would make that an incredible asset to have. But the important thing is getting the right GM and HC not any individual pick.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

Man, what is with you Bryce fanboys and your hilarious lack of basic football knowledge? Sacks are more of a QB statistic, not an O-line statistic, which is why they are listed on a QB's stat sheet. Get this through that thick skull of yours: it's almost always Bryce's fault when he's sacked. Why? Because he almost always had enough time in the pocket to either throw to a receiver or simply scramble and throw the ball away. QBs are drilled over and over and over again on the importance of avoiding sacks, because sacks are the worst outcome save for interceptions or pick sixes. This is QB 101 stuff but apparently too difficult to grasp for our super S2-processor. Don't just stand there like a deer in headlights or a special needs boi who just got off the short bus on the wrong stop. Throw the damn ball away, FFS! 

Oh, and here's your golden boy on Alabama tape with his retard footwork. Jesus Christ, his footwork is literally Pop Warner level poo, and we picked him at no. 1 in the NFL draft?!

Now compare your golden boy's footwork and fundamentals with those of CJ Stroud. See the difference? See how they matter? I swear, you Bryce fanboys are almost as annoying as screaming Swifties. 

Edited by BenjaminBreeg

1st overall pick and a statistical top 10 WR. Ohh wee Mayne.

I definitely appreciate the attempt at optimism. I'll have some of that if we actually hire a new GM and Tepper steps back. Until then I expect more of the same unfortunately.

3 hours ago, grateflday said:

This is why I am not so bent out of shape "the Panthers gave up the #1 pick" because if not for the trade, they roll into the season with a veteran QB, DJ Moore, etc and end up finishing picking between 8 to 12 again.  If anything the mistake was they picked the wrong QB.  

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

I've long said that trading up for a QB was not a bad decision. Trading away your best WR as part of a deal to get a rookie WR was incredibly dumb. Trading the amount of assets they did for this particular QB also appears very dumb. The general idea was fine, the execution and decisions that were made were terrible. 

For sure the execution and decisions made were terrible. I would argue the currency (players & picks) was not to bad compared to past/other trades, etc. But that is debatable for sure.  I also understand trading DJ if that was the only way to make it all happen. I think the BIG mistake there was missing on Chark, Hurst, Sanders, Marshall and maybe Mingo (yes, only a rookie) along with what looks like missing on Icky at LT also.  Which all falls into horrible decisions.

Overall I hate what a sh*t show it has become here and it is definitely frustrating to see how it has all played out.   

4 hours ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

Man, what is with you Bryce fanboys and your hilarious lack of basic football knowledge? Sacks are more of a QB statistic, not an O-line statistic, which is why they are listed on a QB's stat sheet. Get this through that thick skull of yours: it's almost always Bryce's fault when he's sacked. Why? Because he almost always had enough time in the pocket to either throw to a receiver or simply scramble and throw the ball away. QBs are drilled over and over and over again on the importance of avoiding sacks, because sacks are the worst outcome save for interceptions or pick sixes. This is QB 101 stuff but apparently too difficult to grasp for our super S2-processor. Don't just stand there like a deer in headlights or a special needs boi who just got off the short bus on the wrong stop. Throw the damn ball away, FFS! 

Oh, and here's your golden boy on Alabama tape with his retard footwork. Jesus Christ, his footwork is literally Pop Warner level poo, and we picked him at no. 1 in the NFL draft?!

Now compare your golden boy's footwork and fundamentals with those of CJ Stroud. See the difference? See how they matter? I swear, you Bryce fanboys are almost as annoying as screaming Swifties. 

No way it's all. A chunk yep. That's why PFF gives ickey a good grade after games where there was presure and sacks. The OGs have give  up a lot of pure them sacks and even good players give up one nosmw and again. It's on the QB sheet because it's shared and helps explain that relationship.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, PghPanther said:

Young's ceiling looks like it might be Delhomme like.....not bad (and Jake was a baller in his prime) but not what you would expect from an NFL #1 overall draft pick for a QB position. 

You do give Jake rightful props, but I can’t buy that take… yet…, but anything is possible.

2003 Jake started by coming off the bench at halftime, throwing 3 TDs to beat the Jags,  had an insane playoff run, then came back after being down at half to prime GOAT/Belicheck… and almost won on the biggest stage there is. Jake… with a little help from 89 and the most talented roster we’ve ever had…  led a comeback and almost beat the greatest nfl dynasty of all time, in the SB. 

My God that’s depressing to know where we once stood to where we are now. 

On 1/2/2024 at 6:25 PM, Ghostofdelhomme said:

Great receivers make the qb, not the other way around. Look at what Terrell Owens did for Jeff Garcia and Don McNabb, Hopkins made Kyler, Jefferson and Cousins, tyreek and Mahomes. 

So we need to draft Jesus?

what's going to suck as well is watching Baker Mayfield lead our division rival Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the playoffs with a WIN over the Carolina Panthers on Sunday...just saying

Edited by bandu