• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Leaf on if BY is a bust

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bryce and Leaf are the two opposite sides of the same coin. Bryce has all the mental tools and mindset but lacks the physical tools. Leaf lacked the mental tools and mindset but had all the physical talent. If you could combine the best of both you'd have an elite franchise QB, but as they are they're busts.

The part everyone keeps looking past is that Bryce already has the elements that can be developed. He lacks the part you gotta be born with.

Leaf also got addicted to opioids early in his career and given what we now know about the Chargers and their team doctors that shouldn't be surprising. He's a success story for fighting OUD. He was drafted into a terrible situation just like Bryce, but unlike him Leaf actually could have succeeded in the NFL. Bryce doesn't have that chance.

I saw Leaf throw a 60 yard touchdown pass in the air while being dragged down from behind by a Panthers blitzer. Like getting pulled backwards to the ground and throwing a perfect bomb. One of the most impressive throws I have ever witnessed at BoA. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bryce and Leaf are the two opposite sides of the same coin. Bryce has all the mental tools and mindset but lacks the physical tools. Leaf lacked the mental tools and mindset but had all the physical talent. If you could combine the best of both you'd have an elite franchise QB, but as they are they're busts.

The part everyone keeps looking past is that Bryce already has the elements that can be developed. He lacks the part you gotta be born with.

Yep

i was big on AR and Stroud.  What they have can’t be taught 

if they lacked experience or mental acumen for the game, can they be taught …that’s the question 

… but no matter what is done, can’t turn 5’9 to 6 ft 3 and he’s not exactly elusive in the pocket either 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Yep

i was big on AR and Stroud.  What they have can’t be taught 

if they lacked experience or mental acumen for the game, can they be taught …that’s the question 

… but no matter what is done, can’t turn 5’9 to 6 ft 3 and he’s not exactly elusive in the pocket either 

He's average to above average in elusiveness I'd say. Not what you'd call a scrambling QB at all, but he's dodged a shitload of sacks in addition to the ones he's taken. 

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

He's average to above average in elusiveness I'd say. Not what you'd call a scrambling QB at all, but he's dodged a shitload of sacks in addition to the ones he's taken. 

TDs seem pretty elusive when he's playing. lol 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I’ve seen him truly scramble  8 times

Mostly, he turns to his right and is slow enough that the left defensive end runs him down….and all it takes is a hand to bring him down

not trying to pick on him but the tape is there…nothing he can do for a jail break however, if there is no space to step up

• Pie 2

47 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I’ve seen him truly scramble  8 times

Mostly, he turns to his right and is slow enough that the left defensive end runs him down….and all it takes is a hand to bring him down

not trying to pick on him but the tape is there…nothing he can do for a jail break however, if there is no space to step up

One of my suggested YouTube videos was a Young video from this year and there were definitely more than 8 scrambles. Not a ton more but yeah; they’re there. He did a great job dodging sacks on multiple occasions vs Houston, Tennessee and one other game I don’t recall. Had him spinning out or side-stepping guys a few times. Enough to avoid a 10-sack game (til Sunday) 

Leaf isn't stupid he was just immature. If he was then who he is now his career likely would have had a much different trajectory.

His era was the same as when Jason Peter and Curtis Whitley were doing all speedball benders to the coast and smoking crack.

• Pie 2

It's funny because if he wasn't busting then no one would be using that word and having so many takes on all the angles. Anyone using the B word with Stroud? Curious huh...

This offseason is going to be a brutal mix of delusion mixed with hope clashing with disgust mixed with ridicule. That's for the entire team.