• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

Vrabel could pull a McCarthy and take a year off to regroup. (Which is what Reich should have done to decide if he even wanted to coach anymore). 

Only thing is how much of a gamble it may be. Many openings this season, and his stock may fall before next year.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

For those wanting Halaby I would look into him a bit. Here is an article from 2021 that talks about Halaby and how he contributed to Pederson's downfall in Philadelphia. 

https://theathletic.com/2506187/2021/04/12/paranoia-mismanagement-and-office-politics-inside-the-eagles-downfall-under-jeffrey-lurie-howie-roseman/ 

Here is an interesting piece on Halaby.

To some, Halaby is something of an interloper. They say he carries influence with Lurie in part because of a close relationship with fellow Harvard grad Julian Lurie, Jeffrey’s son, who stands to one day take over the family business. To others, Halaby is “brilliant” and simply willing to fight for what he believes is right. The more nuanced opinion is that Halaby is in a “no-win situation,” boxed into a specific characterization by the non-traditional football background he shares with Roseman and a personality that makes him a “square peg in a round hole.”

The blurriness of Halaby’s influence on the final decision-makers created rifts throughout the organization and contributed to the iciness between departments. One source described the analytics team as a “clandestine, Black Ops department that doesn’t answer to anybody except the owner,” even though Halaby officially reports to Roseman.

During the 2017 season, Halaby’s and Pederson’s relationship soured to the point where Pederson berated Halaby within earshot of the rest of the office, according to sources. In the opinion of some members of the coaching staff, Halaby was not to be trusted.

Frustration mounted on the scouting side as well. Rather than being presented with reasons for where certain draft-eligible players were rated by Halaby’s department, the scouting staff would simply be given a list of players the analytics department liked. According to one source, a top personnel official was upset to find out Halaby was grading players on his own despite never having been trained in the scouting department’s methodology.

Uhh yeah I think I’m good. 

Go get Vrabel.  The guy won with a good Running game and a sub-par QB.  Who else in the NFL can say that?  Furthermore, I believe the experience he has is very important.  As with any new position, coaches make rookie mistakes.  Vrabe (that is what I can him because we are buds, sorta) is past that. 

I just love the coaches that get players to run through walls for them--getting the most out of the entire roster.  Vrabel is one of those guys.  Tomlin is that way, Dan Campbell is that way.  Pete Carroll was that way, and in the form of head games, Belichick was that way.  Vrabel would be John Fox on steriods, and that is not a bad thing.

• Pie 6

47 minutes ago, Martin said:

For some reason people think it is unique to Tepper 

There is a reason all the owners who came out of the Steelers org are heavily involved. It’s what was modeled for them by Art Rooney.

Tepper is just really inexperienced so his involvement hurts. He doesn’t have a lifetime of institutional knowledge to pull from.  He needs to pull away until he has 20 years under his belt.

• Pie 2

I'm very surprised Vrabel didn't get the New England job. To be honest I'm almost always against hiring retreads (more so now after the Reich disaster) but Vrabel might fall under the "team was stupid to fire him to begin with" category.

I'm certainly not against the idea of him as HC here. I do still worry about the offense, though, but at this point I think we need to focus on finding the best HC we can regardless of background.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Tbe said:

There is a reason all the owners who came out of the Steelers org are heavily involved. It’s what was modeled for them by Art Rooney.

Tepper is just really inexperienced so his involvement hurts. He doesn’t have a lifetime of institutional knowledge to pull from.  He needs to pull away until he has 20 years under his belt.

I don't know about 20 years. Tepper can learn how to do this right, he just needs to check his ego at the door and admit that he has a lot to learn before diving head-first into the football end of the pool.

• Pie 2

Just now, Jay Roosevelt said:

I'm very surprised Vrabel didn't get the New England job. To be honest I'm almost always against hiring retreads (more so now after the Reich disaster) but Vrabel might fall under the "team was stupid to fire him to begin with" category.

I'm certainly not against the idea of him as HC here. I do still worry about the offense, though, but at this point I think we need to focus on finding the best HC we can regardless of background.

Well according to Ian Rappoport, it was stated in Mayo’s contract that he signed last year that would’ve been designated as the next head coach whenever Belichick left.  So no surprises to anyone there. 

• Pie 1

New England might be the new dumpster fire organization along there with us. It is now clear that Tom Brady WAS the whole operation there.

As for Vrabel, get that motherfugger in here ASAP! Dude VASTLY overachieved with bad QBs and a running game. We have needed a culture change in this organization since Cam left and Vrabel would bring a much needed change in that department.