• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS will air the Super Bowl in 4K (but there's a catch)

1 hour ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

That said, I just can't get into 4k. It looks so odd.

That is not because it's 4k. It's a motion smoothing setting that can be turned off in all TV's settings. It looks good for sports imo, but it makes everything else look like a soap opera.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's always interesting watching institutions fail. Cable TV is very on obviously going the way of the dodo but that doesn't mean it's not gonna go away without a fight to squeeze every last dime they can out of the institution's dying gasps.

Cable TV is essential a zero latency data network.

Very different from streaming/internet connections.

They can push 4k to millions easier than streaming can.

Keeping it on cable is a good way to trial run a big event in 4k.

Call me a dinosaur but we are still watching a sony 42" 720p tv we got many years ago and the antenna channels are still just fine and great to me 

Maybe I am missing something but it is just fine

Am i going to miss something about taylors swifts lips by not having the latest technology?

If so my life will continue on just fine

Edited by pamlicopanther

9 hours ago, pantherj said:

4K on a small tv is pointless. On a large tv, say 65", you need to be about 6ft or closer to really take in the increase in resolution. The bigger the tv the better when it comes to 4k. Also, 4k that is broadcasted, say over a streaming service, will not look as good as a physical media source due to compression. Streaming 4k is second rate which is why I have a physical media collection.

Yeah back in the day 1080p over bunny ears looked incredible vs whatever cable was. I recorded all of our games on windows media center. I think they were about 28gb for 3 hours back then. 

might be kind of a cool hobby to try again. Rewatching the games wouldn’t be as fun during this era lol. 

1 hour ago, Donald LaFell said:

Yeah back in the day 1080p over bunny ears looked incredible vs whatever cable was. I recorded all of our games on windows media center. I think they were about 28gb for 3 hours back then. 

might be kind of a cool hobby to try again. Rewatching the games wouldn’t be as fun during this era lol. 

If it were up to me 4k HDR discs would be MOD (made on demand) for any NFL game. So let's say the Panthers win the SB next year, then you could pre-order a 4k HDR disk of that Super Bowl, and they'd burn it and ship it to you minus the commercials. Then you'd have something you've never seen before, football in 4k HDR from a physical disk. It would be way better than anything you'd ever seen sports wise. Streaming looks ok, but for special games I want a 4k disk. It's the best picture quality money can buy other than 8k on a physical disk. There is no reason why they can't upgrade the cameras and film the games and burn them to disc on demand. However, most people don't care about picture quality and are happy to watch the streamed copy they have from the original broadcast.

yeah just like true 1080p took years to become somewhat standard, it's going to take longer for 4K, and these TV companies already trying to sell people on 8K.   It's crazy.

Pushing further than what our eyes can really discern, I am happy with my 120Hz 4k that mostly shows 1080p programming.  Not buying again for a long, long time.

19 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

It could be that CBS doesn't have the streaming infrastructure setup to handle a super bowl-sized audience on the 4K transcoding/distribution backend. 

It's likely a CBS decision rather than a cable company demand

This. It's a massive upgrade in infrastructure and there aren't enough compatible TVs or worthy 4k broadcasts to justify the cost. And for network TV it has to be done in every market or you run into technical and legal issues. Same reason it's taken forever to get to 1080p (I'm pretty sure ESPN still broadcasts in freaking 720p, for example.)

Edited by MechaZain

I mean, am I the only one who can't tell the difference between 4K and 1080p? Maybe it's a little bit clearer of a picture but nothing worth paying extra for. And if you're streaming odds are you're not getting true 4K anyway due to bandwidth limitations.

Truth be told a higher refresh rate on your screen will provide a much more noticeable improvement in picture quality than going from 1080p to 4K or above in most cases.

22 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I mean, am I the only one who can't tell the difference between 4K and 1080p? Maybe it's a little bit clearer of a picture but nothing worth paying extra for.

No you are not.

The incremental difference is well past the point of diminishing returns.

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, pantherj said:

It's always been in 720p because many broadcasting companies don't want to pay to upgrade to 1080p. I've actually never seen a sporting event in 4k, but I've heard of Japan broadcasting in 8k. I've never seen anything in 8k but there are 8k tvs on the market. 

I have a 65" 4k OLED CX10 and I watch 4k HDR movies on a regular basis as I have a 4k blu-ray collection, so I'll be interested to see what football looks like in 4k. Hell I'll be interested to see it in full HD as it's always been 720p, or 1080i which is lame.

the UNC vs Miami Football game was broadcasted in 4K this year. It was fuging amazing and the best part was during the commercial breaks because they cant play ads in 4K you'd get a Live feed(in 4K) of the stadium. Best TV viewing experience I've ever had.

• Pie 1

On 2/8/2024 at 9:31 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

It's always interesting watching institutions fail. Cable TV is very on obviously going the way of the dodo but that doesn't mean it's not gonna go away without a fight to squeeze every last dime they can out of the institution's dying gasps.

cable tv companies are just turning into data providers... same infrastructure more or less, the only diff is the customer has more a la carte options for what they wanna watch.

Edited by CBDellinger
  • Beer 1