• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's not go too crazy with OL upgrades

MHS831

There is a lot of stuff out there about what Canales did just last year. Reshuffling the OL is one thing I heard, I haven’t read much yet. I did see him claim they would have a good running game, they didn’t, really. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

not a bad thought. I don't disagree. I do believe it may be time to draft a center tho. Last center we drafted was ryan Kahlil. so yeah... take that with a grain of salt rounds 4-7

Bozeman is not the answer. We need to improve that position very badly.

Multiple starters are questionable from a health perspective and some even from a performance perspective. We have zero depth that is proven….so yeah we need all the help we can get. We have two guys I really trust at this point when healthy which is Corbett and Moton. We definitely need upgrades and depth along with a brand new WR group. 

• Pie 3

I agree to not overreact but we absolutely need to target better depth and a potential upgrade at C and LT.

Bozeman is a huge question mark. He was average for BAL. Good then great down the stretch for Wilks and then awful last year. And it’s not all scheming or the players next to him injured or underperforming..he straight up got bullied at times last year.  Icky regressed enough that I’d like to see some considerations had with him ant G… and if we have the talent and depth at both G spots, then LT becomes a need again.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I know what you are thinking--are you CRAZY MHS?  Yes, but crazy people get good ideas too. 

Here are my points:  The main problem with the OL was in pass protection.  (We are going to adopt a system in which the QB has a clock of 2.7 seconds.   Investing in stud pass protectors is not a wise use of limited moves and $$.   Here is why:)

1.  Campen is gone.  He sucked and the OL actually digressed under his watchful eye.  He was a Tepper snitch.  Nuff Said.  With a new system and a more hip and groovy OL coach, players like Ekwonu, and the reserves should respond.  More ground and pound with quick QB releases will make Ekwonu elite--trust me.

2.  We get BC and Corbett back.  40% of our offensive line was missing up the gut, and that is where defenses attacked us.  A 5' 10" QB standing in the pocket with facial pressure and WRs who can't separate.  Not a recipe for success.

3.  We can use some inner OL depth, but Mays and maybe Zavala need some development. (I know, Zavala really sucked--but he was decent at NCS--I recall a G named Evan Mathis who sucked here and went to become a pro bowler at Philly.  Maybe they can come around with a new coach, new system.

4. Ekwonu, Christensen--if Icky sucks again and needs to be moved to G, BC is a stud athlete (see combine #s) and he might very well be the LT--find who does what the best and possibly flip flop them.

5.  In 2022, the OL was decent to OK, and that was before Ekwonu.  The OL if healthy, can get it done.  We need 2 or 3 reserves, and I am guessing we pick up a vet in free agency.

So, MHS, if you are wrong, we are screwed!!   Yup, but if I am right we are screwed as well.  Our resources need to go to WR and (in my unpopular opinion) CB  (Jackson could be gone and Horn is hurt so much he gets great parking.  We need 4 CBs who can step up.  We have 2 who are made of glass.   Not even sure a third round CB can play, but the second rounder has to be WR.  I also think we might double dip at WR.  CMC's brother is a deep sleeper from Rice.  Washington from UVA is interesting.  Lotta options deep in the draft--maybe we should double dip. 

Just stirring the pot to get some thoughts going so I can see under your receding hairlines. 

There's a lot of wisdom in this. Working as a team is imperative for an offensive line to become good pass blockers. I mean they really, really have to gel. And with the injuries and rookies last season, they never had a chance (plus bad coaching and play designs).

It takes time to develop cohesion between the linemen and with the QB and RB to make everything work out. Stability is what this franchise has been lacking for years, so maybe it's time to not just build the foundation but give it time to cure and age properly. We have some very good stones to build with and a lot of youth to shore it up in times of need.

• Pie 3