• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The CAP is now $255.4 MILLION….. now pay Burns, Brown, Luvu and let’s get this ship righted

TheBigKat

29 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I guess this means I can keep my Burns jersey...

It definitely makes it easier for us to take the risk of tagging him. With the cap going up this much there's no way I just let him walk. Tag him and keep negotiating and/or try to work out a trade deal. But the extra wiggle room definitely means at least tagging him IMO.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

This unexpected cap in trade is TERRIBLE news for us

Means teams like the Bengals and 49ers have a more realistic path to making it work out to keep Higgins and Aiyuk 

It's all relative.  They are also going to be asking for proportionately more money.  It's just a wash all around. 

46 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

He had a down year last season….no doubt about that, but I don’t think anyone would consider a 25 year old DE with 46 sacks one of the most overrated players in panther history. You’re being dramatic…of course this is always the best place to be dramatic, so have at it.

The guy wants $30M a year. Even at his best he wasn’t worth that. 

and they turned down 2 firsts. He’s not worth 2 firsts plus another pick. He’s overrated.

Edited by NJPanthers12
  • Pie 1

21 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Once again Higgins was never realistic.

LOLOLOL

Once again?!?!?!?!?!

Dude.... you spent the entire season screaming from the rooftops about how we needed to break the bank to sign Higgins in the offseason, while I consistently pointed out to you how he was never going to hit free agency, but get tagged and traded, and we didn't have the draft pick ammo to go after him.

My post here had nothing to do with our ability to trade/sign for either of them, was just a general comment about how this increased cap room makes it much more likely that both teams can find a way to keep both players for next year.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's all relative.  They are also going to be asking for proportionately more money.  It's just a wash all around. 

Not really, they might try to ask for it, but teams aren't going to give it to them.

Because as you said, it's all relative... contracts are still relative to the other contracts out there in the league.  Teams aren't going to give players bigger contracts than they deserve just because the cap went up in one offseason.

The only impact it has on this years free agency class is that it allows the cap starved team a lifeline to be able to re-sign players they expected to lose.

In reality, what this unexpected cap room is going to be used for with most teams, is to give out contract extensions to their existing stars and use this unexpected cap space to give out signing bonuses to help out future season cap situations.

It's a godsend for teams like the Chiefs who were going to lose a bunch of free agents due to cap space issues. 

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Because as you said, it's all relative... contracts are still relative to the other contracts out there in the league.  Teams aren't going to give players bigger contracts than they deserve just because the cap went up in one offseason.

I just got a raise!  Woohoo!  

Now I can pay my lawyer, accountant, mechanic, and housekeeper more!  

The real problem with this roster is the one that I never see mentioned.  Our roster in 2024 (as it stands now) is the second oldest roster in the league at 27.23 years old.

We are bad, old and frankly still a little strapped for cash.  We have to fix the roster with young players, not keep throwing money at marginal players who are probably over the hill.

Pay Brown?  Yes, that's a no-nonsense move that we need to make.  Luvu, probably, if he's asking for reasonable money.  But Burns?  No.  Go look at the stats and be real about it.  His production doesn't support his valuation of his abilities.  

• Pie 4

What the higher cap should mean is we can pay for more B+/A- level guys. I really don't believe we have so many talented guys that when one of your top 3 guys is out, you can overcome it. Remember when CMC went down. I believe having a lot of solid players is better, stronger depth. Luvu is a perfect example. More guys like him making good money (not great) so we can spread the wealth out and have many good players, not just 1 or 2 great ones. 

55 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

LOLOLOL

Once again?!?!?!?!?!

Dude.... you spent the entire season screaming from the rooftops about how we needed to break the bank to sign Higgins in the offseason, while I consistently pointed out to you how he was never going to hit free agency, but get tagged and traded, and we didn't have the draft pick ammo to go after him.

My post here had nothing to do with our ability to trade/sign for either of them, was just a general comment about how this increased cap room makes it much more likely that both teams can find a way to keep both players for next year.

Did you ignore when I changed my tune on Higgins early in the season?

I clearly said the way Bryce was playing and the fact that there are other teams with better QBs literally will take us out of the Higgins in FA pipedream.

Once again you don't pay attention. I always said trading for Higgins was our best chance to land him.

Cmon my guy you can't always be right.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It definitely makes it easier for us to take the risk of tagging him. With the cap going up this much there's no way I just let him walk. Tag him and keep negotiating and/or try to work out a trade deal. But the extra wiggle room definitely means at least tagging him IMO.

Totally...