• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My realistic plan to fix the offense……what’s yours?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

If we don’t draft a WR at 33, I’ll be really disappointed. There’s good OT depth but I don’t see a top guy falling to 33. We could get a WR at 33 that would normally be a mid first pick due to the WR class depth. We have to take advantage of draft value especially when it’s a huge need. We fuged up last year going Mingo instead of TE in a monster deep class.

Great point, and I would not be disappointed by any means if we go best WR available with our 2nd round pick, but with that we would still need to sign one of the top available free agent WR’s to fill the number one role and they need to have speed, especially with the game plan to have such a quick release. We all know rookie WR’s can be slow to develop on the first year, so having a vet who can fill the main role will still be critical. Just as important is having depth at G/C who is good enough to start. We all see what happened with injuries last year, Bryce had zero chance with the revolving door in the middle of the line. 

Edited by WarPanthers89

OL just aren’t coming into the league ready to play like they used to, and with our first pick not being until the second round I would not feel comfortable if we just relied on the draft to fix our OL. We have got to get at least one new starter in free agency, preferably 2. The line was the worst I’ve ever seen it last year. We need 4 new starters, but that’s a lot to expect for one off season.

2024 Draft/FA plan:

• Don't overspend on People you don't know
    • Sign Luvu
    • Extend DB
    • Sign Burns - Unless you get a 2024 1st and a 2025 2nd you keep him.  His number is intimidating today, but if next year the salary cap increases 15-20 million again, his number isn't as bad as it seems for a top 10 EDGE rusher.
  • Target a mid pass rusher like YGM and AJ Espanza or make a move for Johnathan Greenard
  • IF we cut Donte Jackson, make a run at Kenny Moore III from Indy, or make a run at him anyway
  • Attempt to trade the #33 pick to acquire more 2024 picks
    • I'd be on the phone with GB.  Trade our 33 for GB 41 and GB 88
    • Getting an additional 2nd would allow us to address the OL/WR early and truly draft BPA
    • Draft Cade Stover.  He is a complete TE who will do much better in the NFL
  • Pie 2

Add quality depth on OL (3-4),  including vet competition for the interior OL.

Add a vet WR (Ridley or Marquis Brown - cost effective and an upgrade from what we've had)

Add a vet TE like Dalton Schultz or Gerald Everette (both moderately priced and would be a big help for the QB)

Draft 2 WRs (pref. a slot guy and a deep threat)

Draft a big bruiser RB (220+ lbs with good hands). 

Have a scheme that incorporates a blocking scheme that more closely resembles what we had when wilks was here (and the OL looked pretty good) more than that poo show we had last year.

Be run heavy to take pressure off the passing game and BY and give him and the coaching staff a chance to show what he can do. all rookies have to have a solid run game and he never had one. 

i know no one wants to play this game so please excuse me while i play it....i'm going to look at this year as his rookie year. last year was so fugged up in every regard. really a horrible situation for a rookie QB to fall into. yes, a lot of it was his fault, but he should have had grown ups coaching instead he had a bunch of kids running around with pool noodles chasing each other around trying to smack each other on the head. 

he/we deserve a reset to see if it was a mistake to choose him as the franchise guy. new HC/staff and a "new" QB.

that's all my opinion. please dismiss it as nothing more than a fart in the wind.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

If we don’t draft a WR at 33, I’ll be really disappointed. There’s good OT depth but I don’t see a top guy falling to 33. We could get a WR at 33 that would normally be a mid first pick due to the WR class depth. We have to take advantage of draft value especially when it’s a huge need. We fuged up last year going Mingo instead of TE in a monster deep class.

We need a tight end. That would be my #1 priority. 

• Pie 1

i see us going either WR or EDGE at 33. Possibly TE if it's Ja'Tavion Sanders.

i want us to get a pass catcher there, but i think we can go for an EDGE there and still come away with a couple really good pass catchers.

we can also trade back a bit, pick up an extra pick or two, and still walk away with a really good WR or two. this class is just stacked.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

345692160_GFnVeubWoAAvvCr.jpg_large2.jpg.a644a0b07c868c89a6a03748c5af1a00.jpg

I seriously think it’s foolish of them not to be doing their homework on this years class. There’s always a QB that slides into the 2nd or someone trades up for at pick 32.

Next years class is looking pretty meh. Possibly another class like the one 2 years ago with Pickett, Ridder, Corral and Howell. 

So not only did we trade the farm away for Bryce but we’re choosing to double down on it 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I seriously think it’s foolish of them not to be doing their homework on this years class. There’s always a QB that slides into the 2nd or someone trades up for at pick 32.

Next years class is looking pretty meh. Possibly another class like the one 2 years ago with Pickett, Ridder, Corral and Howell. 

So not only did we trade the farm away for Bryce but we’re choosing to double down on it 

I've come to expect foolishness from Tepper's Panthers. Honestly, if I'm the Panthers and the Commanders go QB at #2 I'd be calling them immediately. Okay, whatya want for Howell? If I can get him for a mid-rounder I'm doing it and having a legit QB competition in camp.

• Pie 1

I looked back at how the Bills revamped their WR core after drafting Josh Allen because Dan Morgan was a director of player personnel at that time.  See if there might be some clues how the team could address specifically that position here since draft capital is currently limited.  Here's what they did:

2018 - Draft QB but no other real help arrived though they took a couple flyers on slot options late in the draft.  Allen's season was rough but his work with his legs kind of salvaged it a little

2019 - Two key investments on the first day of free agency.  Cole Beasley to man the slot and the speedy John Brown for the flanker.  Beasley was a known commodity and solid slot option in Dallas while Brown was underrated coming from Arizona.

2020 - Big splash in the trade for a true #1 in Stefon Diggs to primarily man the split end position.  The move seemingly turned Allen into one of the premier QBs overnight, though looking at the film from the year before Allen was consistently making the correct reads but wasn't getting consistent help.  They also drafted Gabe Davis on Day 3 of the draft which came in handy as Brown would start getting hit by the injury bug and would be released after the season.

For the Panthers, their year 1 included the QB and slot option (if they dont move AT).  The team also took a swing at a WR who definitely looks like he needs more time to develop if he develops at all.  This year could lead to the team not making a big splash for a true #1 and finding a strong speedy option instead as there are a few good ones to grab in free agency or potentially develop out of the draft.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We must get depth on our O line and MUST upgrade our WR group to give Bryce a chance in hell, and to properly evaluate the kid. Here is my realistic plan on what I would do on offense to correct the poo show we all had to witness next year. 

First: new scheme, new dream. Let’s all take a moment of silence for Franks horrific playbook to be thrown into the depths of hell.

Second: Free agency. I don’t believe we will spend our money on the line for more starters, as we already have three big contracts on the line out of 5. This will be a spot we address in the draft. We may get a depth piece for cheaper, but don’t expect  big money to be spent here. I believe we will spend our money on WR targets. One big name (as big as you can get for a free agent pool) AND one tier 2 FA WR. We only have money spent on Thielen currently and need another vet for Bryce who has SPEED.

My Plan for Tier 1 SPEED: Marquis Brown OR Calvin Ridley

Tier 2: Darnel Mooney OR Curtis Samuel 

Third: Draft. We spend our 2nd round pick on best available C/G (I pray Jackson Powers were to drop) This allows the rookie to be our key depth piece and potential starter to replace our center or guard if needed due to performance issues. 3rd round pick should be on best available Wr, TE, or O line. Remainder of draft should be BPA. 

This will leave us with a depth chart like this:

QB: Bryce Young/Andy Dalton

WR1: Hollywood Brown OR Calvin Ridley

WR2: Mingo/Mooney Or Samuel

Slot/WR3: Adam Thielen

TE: Hurst/Tremble/Possible rookie 3rd  round pick 

RB: Chubba/Miles Sanders

LT: Icky

LG: Brady C (with 2nd round rookie pushing for playing time or to start/be key swing depth)

Center: Bozeman (with 2nd round rookie being swing depth)

RG: Corbett

RT: Moton

WHAT WOULD YOUR PLAN BE?

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

You have a good football mind, but I disagree with your overall strategy, but I agree with the needs.

OL:  We need depth for the OL--and maybe 1 inside starter to compete for a starting spot.  I also think our OL was horribly coached under Campen.  That shows up across the board.  I think "Coach em up" would be effective here.  Ickey has elite LT talent, needs fundamentals.  In my view, Corbett is good, Bozeman scared me last year, but with good guards, he improves.  I would love to see BC become our depth at OT as the swing T.  Leaves a G position to be filled.  I might draft an IOL and sign one in free agency to fill the LG spot.  The OL is not far from being very good, and that is encouraging.

WR:  We have the best WR draft ever this year, and I want to splash there.  That does not mean we have to take one at #33, however.  There will be trade offers--take one.  So I would draft two WRs this year.  

• 1. Free Agent
  • 2. Theilen
  • 3. Mingo
  • 4.Draft Pick
  • 5. Draft Pick
  • 6. Smith-Marsette

So, in free agency, we need to sign:

a LG, a move that gives us quality depth at OT and no major concerns if we have an injury because BC would be an ideal swing OT, a mediocre LG.  In the draft, we need an IOL.  We need to coach up Mays, Zavala.  Campen didn't. 

a TE, Now, Hurst and Tremble may be what they want in this new system, but an offensive threat is needed.  Young needs a Y that can get open and scare the D.

a WR:  We could really use an experienced stud, like the players mentioned by the OP.  I still would make sure I got one or two out of this draft.  

a CB:  Griffin might be re-signed, and he might be good depth, but I am looking for a serviceable backup for Horn and Jackson--more injured than any starting CB tandem in the NFL. 

Of course, Burns' situation could change everything. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

draft a RB in the mid rounds.  It's crazy not to build your backfield there.  We never should spend money like that on a Miles Sanders ever again.   You can get better/more complete RBs in every draft.  It should be consistent act the team does.   Then you let them walk. 

• Pie 1