• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns Franchise Tagged

shaq

2 hours ago, Evil Hurney said:

A single 3rd this year is laughable.

The Panthers can comfortably franchise him two years in a row while they get his replacement ready, let him walk in 2026 (when he is getting ready to start his age 28 season), and still get a 3rd as a comp pick.

Let him walk now for the comp pick.  Why do we want him here 2 more years when he doesnt want to be here, isnt a "dawg" and has already talked about playing not to get hurt last season?  He going to get over that and magically play hard on these 1 year franchise tags?  Trade him or cut bait.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, The Lobo said:

If all we get is a second or a third, you gotta extend him,  that is insane. 

Overpaying him for years is the most detrimental option of them all for the panthers longterm success. 

• Pie 3

Go for a 2025 first rounder--gives you cap room now and you get a player next season.  Teams are much more willing to trade a first 13 months before the draft than 1 month.  I know we need it now, but do we?

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

No one is doing anything unless he accepts a contract proposal from another team. No one is trading for his rights. He won’t sign the tag if he doesn’t get what he wants. His floor, is showing up right before the season, playing to stay healthy, and collecting his 24M for a 4 win team. He can wait on anything else and hold for an unrealistic price. The team that knows him best, and put his “price” at what he thinks it is, won’t pay him what he wants. But you expect another team to give him 30M/yr with 70M guaranteed, AND give up a 1st and maybe more? I’d like to see what team will accept that. 

Well of course whoever the trade partner is will have to negotiate first. I was not implying that a team would trade solely for the ability to negotiate with him on a tag. There are teams out there that will pay him 27-30 million per year and send more than just a 3rd round pick to make their deal happen. See Chicago’s deal for Sweat.

Edited by Leaky_Faucet
  • Pie 1

Just now, Leaky_Faucet said:

Well of course whoever the trade partner is will have to negotiate first. I was not meaning that a team would trade for the solely for the ability to negotiate with him. There are teams out there that will pay him 27-30 million per year and send more than just a 3rd round pick to make that deal happen. See Chicago’s deal for Sweat.

Sweat was 24M, and still had half a year at only 5M. In the same situation(but making less) as Burns. And he went out and led two different teams in sacks while being one of the best run defenders at edge in the NFL for years. Burns disappeared while trying not to get hurt. So who would give him more AND picks? 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

Let him walk now for the comp pick.  Why do we want him here 2 more years when he doesnt want to be here, isnt a "dawg" and has already talked about playing not to get hurt last season?  He going to get over that and magically play hard on these 1 year franchise tags?  Trade him or cut bait.

He has only signaled that he wants to be here. Didn't it come out via his agent last year that he's a homebody that has no desire to move?

I'm critical of Burns but if there is evidence he doesn't want to be here I missed it 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Go for a 2025 first rounder--gives you cap room now and you get a player next season.  Teams are much more willing to trade a first 13 months before the draft than 1 month.  I know we need it now, but do we?

Love it.   1st next year and maybe a 2nd this year?  Sold.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

I would guess a pairs of 2s (2024/2025) or some combination of 2s, 3s, 4s over the next two years.

I think we’ve all seen firsthand that trading a good player for a 2/3/4 isn’t really worth the compensation 

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, csx said:

He has only signaled that he wants to be here. Didn't it come out via his agent last year that he's a homebody that has no desire to move?

I'm critical of Burns but if there is evidence he doesn't want to be here I missed it 

He wants to get paid.  he says whatever is in the best interest of getting paid.  Most likely to overpay naturally is Carolina.  So he says what he says. 

I’m personally ready to part with him

- not well rounded for a big payday.  He is all speed pass rusher and practically nothing else.  

- doesn’t bring that TD/Luke dawg leadership.  Morgan says we lack dawgs.  Well, we lack that with Burns and he has been a default leader because of talent 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Growl said:

I think we’ve all seen firsthand that trading a good player for a 2/3/4 isn’t really worth the compensation 

Not to continue to dwell, but how the hell did we not get at least a *future* first for CMC, lol?  Firsts are gold, 2/3/4 is not (especially for us).

14 hours ago, Billy Goat said:

Seattle got a 1st and 2nd for Frank Clark not too long ago and he was given $105m over 5 years. The salary cap has increased by $70m since then as well. That "league source" should put down the crack pipe.

Oh that would be lovely to get, wouldn't it?