• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking: Panthers sign former Seahawks OG Damien Lewis

3 hours ago, CarolinaWillRise said:

Two high PFF rating pass blocking/zone scheme guards its almost like they realized poor interior like play is bad for a short QB

BTW we all know people are mad because this is doubling down on Bryce.

You BY apologists sound nervous.

I don't think most people are mad that we are investing in the offense that has been mediocre to putrid the last several years. They are mad that due to mismanagement we are continually shipping off talent for very little.

Bryce Young is going to be setup and given the resources to succeed that much is clear. Almost all Panthers fans hope he does. But if he does not. Another QB will be walking into a significantly better position. Competition is a good thing. Honestly BY needs some of that. There can be no excuses. He needs to step up and command the locker room. This is his team now. This is the season that will tell us all we need to know about the mettle of Bryce Young the QB and about that leadership ability that we heard so much about a year ago.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, strato said:

You have more than a feeling. 

Oh well. We’ve all seen them play. I’m not seeing Brees’ arm at all. I remember him having a good arm until he got towards the end. Maybe not. 

Funny that I just read a Purdy comparison to Brees article. Let’s comp Young and Purdy. 

It is more trouble that I am going to, finding good info to reinforce my memory on Brees .. because of the overwhelming number of references to he can’t use his right arm any more etc, articles about his dwindling arm strength. I may look for some 20 year old video because that is what they are trying to do. 

I think I need to imagine Drew Brees in the Alabama offense. 

They traded up and said they did so they could do their homework.  This is what happens when you let a hedge fund manager and a former minor league baseball player make football decisions.  I am not ready to throw in the towel on Bryce for these reasons, but I was pushing for Stroud until the end--I thought there was something I didnt see, and that my hate for Alabama and admiration for Ohio State was making me biased.

1. The job of the QB should not be to make you (as a member of the offense) look good.  Your job is to make him look good.  The OL made that very difficult.  I have heard people say, "but he sucked when he was not under pressure."  That is called "Trauma."  Tell a veteran at Walmart that the avocados are not enemy grenades and it is OK to come out from under the banana table.  It is real to him, and if you get sacked 4 times a game and are moved or hit another 12 times, it impacts your confidence.  Bryce had never been the underdog and his OLines have always been better than the defense.

2. A WR, TE, or RB in a route is only open for a second.  When you are dodging DL in your face, it throws off the timing, which is why there was never anyone open.  When  the timing is right, Bryce's ball came out with more crispness and velocity than when he was trying to wing it.

3. A cerebral QB is a good thing when things are going well, but when they fall apart, so does his mind.

4.  They are following the model, inside out, back to front.  C-G-C seems to be done, at least for now.  They are going to work with Ekwonu's mechanics (since Campen was not successful doing so) and they will stick with Moton with BC, a very capable swing OT, behind both.  We have others like Mays, Zavala who could be developed as reserves.  We are good up front now, if all goes as planned.

5. Bryce did not have a TE to find on a consistent basis.  Imagine Purdy without Kittle.  Mahommes without Kelce.  Bryce needs a good TE threat.

So, does Stroud have a better arm and better size?  Yes, he also had a better situation, but we are about to find out what we have. 

• Pie 2

Improving the OL helps the entire team.  Even if Bryce doesn't work out, these are good moves for whoever the next QB after him is.  

I get the frustration with the team.  I share it too.  But feels like this conversation is too focused on Bryce, when in reality the Panthers also need to make sure the offense is in a good spot for if they need a new QB in 2025. 

Unless we want to run into the same problem next year where we need both OL pieces and a QB.  It is better go ahead and invest in the OL now than trying to do it in the same offseason that you are also needing to commit assets to new QB. 

The reality is that investing in the OL was always going to be expensive, whether through the draft or in free agency, you are going to have to pay a high cost or get extremely lucky if you want a talented OL across the board.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 5

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

You get the feeling that Tepper made the Young decision and he wanted Morgan to make him look good--and if you are a former MLB and you watch film, the guards jump out at you as a weakness.

Looks like Corbett to C, 2 new OGs, BC to swing T, Ickey and Moton at starting OTs. 

I wonder if Evero agreed to Burns, Luvu, YGM, Jackson, and Bell gone.  That is almost half the starting 11--gone--we thought they would try to keep them.... I am scared, but hopeful that this ends well.

It seems they are getting players athletic enough for Coach’s schemes and young enough for long term contracts   

regardless of Young, the Panthers are trying to build a long term online

i can’t believe Evero was down with this at the same time an offense that can’t score or sustain a drive does him no favors either

the only one of the group let go that I mourn is Luvu. He made games worth watching but the contract to Derek Brown looms

Derek Brown came into his own last year 

Derek Brown > Brian Burns

MHS831 You wasted a lot of that on me, I am sorry. I really don’t care that much about learning about traumatized Walmart greeters. Or traumatized quarterbacks. Let’s go on and get to oh we ruined him - see David Carr.

If if you are in to explaining things, great.  Explain how they are going to run the offense this year. Any under center drop back game at all? I don’t see pace or tempo much with him where he can lock his timing to a physical move. It is sort of a leisurely meandering backwards.

so if they ‘fix’ his footwork maybe so that he Can have some consistency and tighten up the timing, what’s it gonna look like? I am afraid it will be Alabama and I guess I might finally have a reason to look at his college tape here in 2024. 

edit: Raleigh panther I mini mourn YGM. Obviously he was a disappointment most of his time but I think he was finally growing up and getting it a little. We’ll see how he does elsewhere.

Edited by strato

58 minutes ago, frankw said:

You BY apologists sound nervous.

I don't think most people are mad that we are investing in the offense that has been mediocre to putrid the last several years. They are mad that due to mismanagement we are continually shipping off talent for very little.

Bryce Young is going to be setup and given the resources to succeed that much is clear. Almost all Panthers fans hope he does. But if he does not. Another QB will be walking into a significantly better position. Competition is a good thing. Honestly BY needs some of that. There can be no excuses. He needs to step up and command the locker room. This is his team now. This is the season that will tell us all we need to know about the mettle of Bryce Young the QB and about that leadership ability that we heard so much about a year ago.

I agree.  This year is about giving Young pieces to properly evaluate him. If he still struggles and delivers us the top pick, Sanders (or whoever we pick) will have a better OL and hopefully better playmakers to work with.  We are trying to build a competent offense for ANY QB to step in and have a chance to succeed.  These big OGs aren't just for Bryce, they are for our running game and any QB we throw back there.  

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, mcsmoak said:

We’re also apparently telling him he needs to score 30 a game if we’re only going to address the offense…. Considering we desperately need DE, LB, CB, and S 

I heard someone talking recently about a team (don't remember which, maybe Chiefs?) and how they prefer to use young, fast, inexpensive players on defense. Maybe they think Evero can make it work that way, especially if they are more of a scheme (3-4) fit. Granted, they have Chris Jones but we are at a very different place of team building. I am just assuming that Tepper told them to tear it down and build it back up, which we should have done years ago. We will see if it works.

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

No. We have too many needs and we need more picks in the draft. If we are lucky we will get 1 starter and a couple of backups out of this draft. Anymore than that is gravy on top. We need more darts to throw.

So if a guy like Brock Bowers is there at 16 or 17, you wouldnt give up both 2nds? Or Adonai, Verse or Chop Robinson around 20? Maybe we could package 33 and a next years 2nd, or this years 3rd? Either way, I think we try and get into the middle of the 1st. 

8 minutes ago, scratched said:

So if a guy like Brock Bowers is there at 16 or 17, you wouldnt give up both 2nds? Or Adonai, Verse or Chop Robinson around 20? Maybe we could package 33 and a next years 2nd, or this years 3rd? Either way, I think we try and get into the middle of the 1st. 

I would not. This team is not in a position to give up picks for 1 single player. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, scratched said:

So if a guy like Brock Bowers is there at 16 or 17, you wouldnt give up both 2nds? Or Adonai, Verse or Chop Robinson around 20? Maybe we could package 33 and a next years 2nd, or this years 3rd ? Either way, I think we try and get into the middle of the 1st. 

Gotta agree with Jon Snow on this one. Our current roster is terrible even with the two upgrades at guard. You can make an argument that the Panthers are weak at EVERY position on the team except our 2024 starting guards,  1 DT spot (D. Brown) and possibly RT. We have 2 picks inside the top 40 and the first pick in round 3 (#65). If we don't come away with at least two starters with those picks then the 2024 draft will be another disaster.

To be honest, we really should come away with 3 starters. If we picked the right WR, LB, DB or DE I don't how they couldn't start or at least play significant minutes given the lack of talent currently on our roster.

7 hours ago, CarolinaWillRise said:

Wondering if this guy ^^^^ realizes that 80% of Pro Bowl guards are drafted in the second rounds.... and they are far from scrubs allowed a combined 4 sacks last season..... we had guys giving up more than that in a SINGLE GAME worth every penny.

They aren’t scrubs, but not worth paying double their value either for players on par with Corbett and Christ, Christensen is probably better than them all. But maybe they are writing him if his arm is now a chicken wing.

1 minute ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

They aren’t scrubs, but not worth paying double their value either for players on par with Corbett and Christ, Christensen is probably better than them all. But maybe they are writing him if his arm is now a chicken wing.

#3 and #8 ranked guards 4 total sacks allowed.....

THE TURSTILES we had last season all 8 of them combined gave up 35! I'm no math wiz but hmmm

• Flames 1

Just now, CarolinaWillRise said:

#3 and #8 ranked guards 4 total sacks allowed.....

THE TURSTILES we had last season all 8 of them combined gave up 35! I'm no math wiz but hmmm

Give them time. It will become obvious eventually.