• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pump the brakes

43 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am not going to say it again on here; we need to use Bryce's assets and not try to fit him into a system.  We need a system designed for him.  Bringing in the 2 guards is a start.  HOWEVER...

To me, the successful conversion of Bryce Young comes with a huge price tag.  If we turn it around and Bryce plays well because we have an offensive line that makes $90m, he is going to want $50m and the WRs will demand another $50m.  Not even mentioning RBs and TEs, but we will need $200m just for the offense at this rate.   I see this process as a long term bust--if it works, you are screwed because it requires a stud OL and stud WRs.  OTC Right now, before all free agents and draft picks are signed and a QB on a rookie deal posts the following: 

• Offense: $133,819,164
  • Defense: $62,906,915
  • Special: $6,431,168

If Bryce was a veteran on a second contract, you could add $40m to this figure.  We have no #1 WR and no stud TE. As you can see, the Offensive budget needs to be around $130m.  We are over that now--with QB on a rookie contract.

The only way to do this is by having 3 OL on a rookie contract at all times, and maybe only 2 WRs on second contracts. 

This^

This is how you end up being the New Orleans Saints, barring some back-bayou voodoo. It is a recipe for one big winning season, a couple of decent seasons and then a long, long time in cap hell.

Would we do it to get that ring? Should we do it to get that ring?

The temptation is so very real.

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Brakes*

Thank you, sorry. 

also I didn’t mean this to be a Stroud vs Bryce. I meant it more as, let’s stop comparing and just admit Bryce was in a much worse situation and give him a chance with some help before we fully write him off 

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Same thing is going to happen in Miami with Tua

Probably. I think Purdy is a step up from Bryce and Tua another step up from Purdy but I think they're all in that category of QB that you're hamstringing yourself when you have to pay them like a legit franchise QB.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I am not going to say it again on here; we need to use Bryce's assets and not try to fit him into a system.  We need a system designed for him.  Bringing in the 2 guards is a start.  HOWEVER...

To me, the successful conversion of Bryce Young comes with a huge price tag.  If we turn it around and Bryce plays well because we have an offensive line that makes $90m, he is going to want $50m and the WRs will demand another $50m.  Not even mentioning RBs and TEs, but we will need $200m just for the offense at this rate.   I see this process as a long term bust--if it works, you are screwed because it requires a stud OL and stud WRs.  OTC Right now, before all free agents and draft picks are signed and a QB on a rookie deal posts the following: 

If Bryce was a veteran on a second contract, you could add $40m to this figure.  We have no #1 WR and no stud TE. As you can see, the Offensive budget needs to be around $130m.  We are over that now--with QB on a rookie contract.

The only way to do this is by having 3 OL on a rookie contract at all times, and maybe only 2 WRs on second contracts. 

That’s if Young and the coaches can even translate his assets in a tangible way(not just on paper) to the NFL. 

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

So basically by time we get a system in place for Bryce to thrive in, he will be due a second contract and not be affordable in the system anymore 

And that’s assuming he succeeds with all that we add just for him.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, spydaman27 said:

I know there was a 50/50 over Young and Stroud last year, it wasn’t 90% Stroud 10% Young. Stroud was put into a much better situation. He also had a much stellar year than anyone could have expected. He was a rookie qb in MVP talks. It will over shadow Bryce. Let’s give this man a chance though. His awful coach was fired a few games in. Hopefully we worked on the O line, we brought in a better receiver. Stop all the hate, give Bryce a chance. There had to be a reason he was regarded as a number 1 pick, not just by the team that took him. 

keep us posted, we havent even discussed this on here good stuff thanks

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Good post but I will play a little devils advocate.

I think this lop sided investment is needed in order to get Bryce off the ground and properly evaluate him.  Once he can develop for 3-4 years, ideally he won’t need as much support and the front office can take a more balanced approach to where they spend their cap $$. 

We always complained that even with Can he was never properly built around on the OL and wide receivers. It’s time to at least put Bryce or the next QB in position to succeed 

• Pie 2

Stroud made the situation work, not the other way around. You say 50/50 but it seemed from my Stroud side to be more like 70/30 on team Bryce before the draft and it was obvious to me then just as much as now the difference in talent between the two. I hope Bryce works out since we ended up making the mistake I feared, but he was a large part of the problem last year, not the victim. It’s possible he can improve, I’m in the minority in that I don’t think his size is the biggest problem. His lack of arm strength is a problem but that can be worked around. His biggest problem is accuracy (among the worst I’ve ever seen) and terrible/slow decision making, which is ironic given the hype that preceded the draft. 

• Pie 3

I was listening to a football podcast and the dude basically said most Rookie QBs get until Thanksgiving of year 2 to see if they're worth keeping.

If Bryce doesn't show major improvement sometime in year 2 I'll be ready to move on.

Even Canales has already said he has the benefit of not being emotionally attached to any of these players and I think that includes Bryce.  Canales and Morgan are going to give him the best Oline and WR core they can muster, if Bryce falls on his face again it's open season at QB in 2025.

I think though, if Canales QB whisperer trend continues,  Bryce SHOULD improve to some degree.  If he doesn't that more of an indictment on him and not Canales.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

So basically by time we get a system in place for Bryce to thrive in, he will be due a second contract and not be affordable in the system anymore 

Correct which is why the Panthers need to keep drafting/bringing in young QB’s to develop to take over when Young expects to be paid. Maybe the days of having a QB for 8-10 years are over due to the costs associated with doing that……unless they are legit like a Mahomes, Rodger’s, Manning, Brees and etc. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Even Canales has already said he has the benefit of not being emotionally attached to any of these players and I think that includes Bryce.  Canales and Morgan are going to give him the best Oline and WR core they can muster, if Bryce falls on his face again it's open season at QB in 2025.

I hope you’re right but problem is Teppers are emotionally invested, hopefully they stay out of the way this time