• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person predicts a trade back

6 hours ago, CRA said:

Panthers shouldn't trade down.  We should be drafting BPA at 33 and then 39 (my preference is O).  Not watering down those picks in search of more.  33 is basically a 1st rounder and we don't have ours.  Trading it to pick up a 3rd just ain't worth watering it down. 

I agree. Unless we are getting better picks like 39 for a 2025 1st, no thanks. We’ve seen how our idiot GM traded back to cover his horrid trades and we just got lessor players overall. Just because we don’t have a 2025 2nd doesn’t mean we have to trade way back to get one.

We need impact above average to elite starters. We have 33, 39 and next year’s 1st. We can’t blow those picks so let’s get the top players we need. Hopefully, we don’t F it up and actually get additional starters in the 3rd+. 

• Pie 4

Trading back is not a bad thing in its entirety if you can draft well. That has been our problem. New GM. If he trades back I am open to it. More shots at good players is never a bad thing. Good franchises get good players later in the draft all the time.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, PantherKyle said:

Trading back is not a bad thing in its entirety if you can draft well. That has been our problem. New GM. If he trades back I am open to it. More shots at good players is never a bad thing. Good franchises get good players later in the draft all the time.

I know this is true and wanted to see how that stands on rosters today but every roster I see gives no draft information so it is hard to really get the picture without putting some time in. 

3 hours ago, BrisbanePanther said:

No! Only trade back if a future 1st is on the table. Otherwise hang up the phone.

I’d take a player in a small move down. Hear me out say the Pats go MHJ in the first and we’re sitting there at 33 and Penix is there. So we don’t trade the pick to anyone else they swap 34 for 33 but they throw in Matt Judon because there’s talk they might cut him.  

43 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

If we are dead set on taking XL with one of our 2nds we might as well trade down, he will still be there. 

I don't know, there are teams who are apparently pretty high on him.

He's one of those guys you're really excited about the potential or you're kind of meh over bc you see him as a one year wonder.

If I am going to trade 33 and get a pick in 2025.  It will have to be a 1st.  There are going to be several offers for 33.  Those that put a 1st in the deal will get my vote.

Though we only have a couple picks in 2024 our focus should also include what is going to get us in the playoffs in 2025.   Having two first next year really gives us a better chance of reaching the playoffs.

• Pie 2

On 4/12/2024 at 2:57 PM, CRA said:

but we do have last year to make educated assumptions off of. 

33 was traded last year.  For a team to go get a QB.  

so if it is similar to that, just draft the best WR on the board IMO. 

Well again you may be right - but you may not.  My point is there is no way to be sure because you don't know who is there at 33.  If only 4WR have been drafted it is different than if 6 have been (AD Mitchell/McKonkey vs Pearsall/Troy Franklin) - that can be a huge difference.  Also last year the deal was to move down to 41 and pick up next year's 3rd rounder....not bad.  Plus Nix and Penix are more coveted than Levis from most accounts so likely to get a better offer.  My point was alot of people are saying "yall are wrong we definitely should do this no matter what" when they have no context - contrary to the media's opinion, context matters ever time.

All of us were upset (and a bit embarrassed) to be to have the worst team/record in the NFL and head into the 2024 season without a first round draft choice after picking #1 last season. 

Now, we have the first pick in the 2nd round and people are actually in favor of trading down for more lesser picks. First round caliber talents are going to fall into the 2nd round....and we are not going to have to pay them a first round contract. 

Why on earth would you move down? I could see doing so if we had a stacked roster and was not in need of an immediate starter from this draft. That's not the case. Our poor drafts this decade resulted in Carolina having the least talented roster in the NFL last year. We should come out of this draft with starters with those first 2 draft choices. To be frank, even out first choice in round 3 should make a significant contribution to the team, even if he doesn't start immediately.

Until Morgan and the rest of the FO proves that they are sloid talent evaluators, they should take the bpa. On paper we have done a great job addressing a lot of holes via FA. No need to get cute with trade dowsn.

We need to stay at 33, unless we also get a 1st next year to offset the absence of our 2nd round pick. IMO use 33, and 39 to bring in legitimate talent at - WR / C / Edge -- and CB if we don't sign / plan to sign Gilmore as a band-aid. 

We need to adding the best possible talent we can, trading back should be an option, not a foregone conclusion.