• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Austin Corbett's move to center has seemed "inevitable"

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

They act as if this is a game of musical chairs.  Corbett needs to be able to do the job.  He is 29 and learning a new position.  I am confident that they are confident, but I do not think this rules out drafting a C late.   I should note that Cade Mays was at different schools and played various positions.  I think if he is given one position and learns as much as possible this year, he could be better than most here envision.  I just don't get spending $150m at G, a $30m RT, and a first round draft pick LT and then saying, "Let's experiment at C"  They must have more information than we do.

Master Plan Bladesmiths GIF by DefyTV

seriously, i've kind of been thinking the same thing. something about it just doesn't make sense. 

i keep going back to Connor Williams. Are they waiting to see medical reports from him? Are they waiting till after the draft so the price will come down? Seems like an obvious choice...except his medical history looks like Corbett's. 

i don't know.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I'd be more comfortable overpaying the first vet cut that has real C experience.  If Corbett fails or gets hurt.....a rookie C is bad news for Bryce IMO.   Not saying you can't draft a kid.  But the whole revamping of the OL and having a makeshift C leaves me uneasy.  If the C spot is a mess, all that money and investment at G gets minimized. 

If a starting caliber WR is available at 33, picking him would be the ideal move. However, I would not be upset (or I would at least understand the rationale) of taking a center with this pick. 

From what I've seen in the mocks, Graham Barton (Oregon) and Jackson Power-Johnson (Oregon) are the only 2 centers expected to come off the board in round 1. Both are projected to be effective starters in th3 NFL. But, if there is a run at certain positions one of them could slide into day 2 of the draft. I couldn't fault the Panthers if we took either one of them at 33.

Zach Frazier (West Virginia) and Sedrick Van Pran-Granger (Georgia) are projected to go in rounds 2 or 3 and are viewed as solid starters at the NFL level. If we went WR at 33, we'd still have a chance to get one the these guys at #39 or with our first pick in the round 3.

Having a stout interior is only going to help Chubba, Miles, and Bryce. If Bryce ends up as a bust at least the next QB would join a team with a solid interior line in front of him.

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

seriously, i've kind of been thinking the same thing. something about it just doesn't make sense. 

i keep going back to Connor Williams. Are they waiting to see medical reports from him? Are they waiting till after the draft so the price will come down? Seems like an obvious choice...except his medical history looks like Corbett's. 

i don't know.

Long shot here because we're talking the Panthers...

I wonder if the FO is actually trying some misdirection and overselling our neediness for WR to get a guy like Frazier or Barton to fall.  Highly doubtful though lol

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

best case scenario is he does well and at age 30, they give him a 2-3 year deal.  We will be needing a RT next season, in my view, so ideally, we would not want a 40% overhaul.  I am not one who thinks Cade Mays is hot garbage--I think he could become a solid backup.  Funny, when we draft players late we call them "developmental" but when they are forced into action before they are ready, we want them gone--we have less patience for the developmental players than we do first rounders.  

Those are 2 good points. ideally Corbett works out and the C we take this year can back up guard/C and learn before being thrust in as a rookie and he shines from there. So our focus can solely be on tackle(s) next year depending on how Ekwonu develops. You are also right about one thing, Cade Mays did not have good coaching. So why write him off? Brady Christensen as well, I am excited to see what he can do with coaching that will play him where he is best and not judge him based on arm length. 

12 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I wonder if the FO is actually trying some misdirection and overselling our neediness for WR to get a guy like Frazier or Barton to fall.  Highly doubtful though lol

Us:  Maybe we are playing 4D chess

Likely the reality of the Tepper front office: 

Checkers GIFs | Tenor

• Flames 2

12 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

not sure we're at that level.

hopefully we don't believe we're at that level and try it.

I mean, if they believe that he can play center at a proficient level, then he probably can. Not sure why message boarders would think that they know more than Morgan or Canales (or Joe Gilbert or Brad Idzik), but if they draft a center or not, I'm sure they're doing what they believe is best for the team.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I just don't get spending $150m at G, a $30m RT, and a first round draft pick LT and then saying, "Let's experiment at C"  They must have more information than we do.

You must be a rookie in Panthers fan minicamp. *Sarcasm*  Moves like this are almost as much a part of the Panthers organization as Keep Pounding. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly
  • Pie 1

It's interesting for sure. Corbett has been our best OL the past couple of years, when healthy. He and Moton are plug and play, without concern. 

He has the build and IQ to make the move, but it's not necessarily that easy to just "cut and paste" with success.

A couple of things in Corbett's favor:

• Film junky, high IQ and vocal leader of the OL already
  • Has a connection already with BY9
  • Experience > rookie is always preferred at C, especially at a position that is critical for Young's success in only his second year.
  • IIRC, wasn't Corbett responsible for the hand signals last year on snap counts. Leads me to believe he had personnel responsibilities and played a part in protection slides and identifying the Mike.  
  • Body type and style of play is a fit for C

We still need to draft one this year, but it doesn't have to be a top-tier Frazier/JPJ kind per se. 

• Pie 3

Bradley Bozeman was one of the beloved members of this team last year. Paradis was also talked up a good bit at one point. Life comes at you fast. These people better learn and have a legitimate backup plan in place.