• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Char observer final mock Mike kaye

The Carolina Panthers own the top of the second round with pick No. 33, and teams around the league believe they will target a receiver with either that pick or No. 39. That is no surprise based off how last season went, and because it's so obvious, we could see that impact how other receiver-needy teams react in the late first round.

As Thursday's first round gets into the 20s, watch for teams to potentially slide back (or up in) to the first round to get a receiver. Forget the ability to have the fifth-year option on a first-round pick … this is more about making sure teams get their guy before a run on receivers in the top of the second.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notebook-raiders-qb-draft-plan-with-jayden-daniels-out-of-reach-should-raw-drake-maye-sit/

6 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Worthy is a solid route runner and doesn't play as fast as his 40 time (not that he plays slow, just not THAT fast). His slight frame means when DBs get hands on him he is re-routed quite often, and he is not good against press man like some of the other leaner fast guys the past few drafts (Tank Dell, Flowers, Davonte Smith, Josh Downs). He doesn't play bigger than his frame, he plays as big as he is.

nobody plays as fast as their 40 time, but that’s not the point. He’s bendy and explosive pre and post catch and is always the most explosive guy on the field. He’s held up and done it consistently over three seasons.

im not getting locked into this idea of needing to find a traditional X player, especially since we’re not picking in the 1st round. If he struggles against press, then motion him and line him up off. It’s not uncharted territory

he has rare attributes that good offensive coordinators dream about. That’s hard to get in the second round and I’d much rather do that than hoping some of these other guys-all of them with their own set of flaws-to an increasing degree the further down the board you go-put it together.

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

nobody plays as fast as their 40 time, but that’s not the point. He’s bendy and explosive pre and post catch and is always the most explosive guy on the field. He’s held up and done it consistently over three seasons.

im not getting locked into this idea of needing to find a traditional X player, especially since we’re not picking in the 1st round. If he struggles against press, then motion him and line him up off. It’s not uncharted territory

he has rare attributes that good offensive coordinators dream about. That’s hard to get in the second round and I’d much rather do that than hoping some of these other guys-all of them with their own set of flaws-to an increasing degree the further down the board you go-put it together.

It comes down to if he can get stronger through his routes. If he beats a guy off the line he's gone, but so are most receivers, but if a DB gets hands on him, and DBs are better in the pros, he can't get free. If he can get better at that, then he could be pretty damn good.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It comes down to if he can get stronger through his routes. If he beats a guy off the line he's gone, but so are most receivers, but if a DB gets hands on him, and DBs are better in the pros, he can't get free. If he can get better at that, then he could be pretty damn good.

sure there’s criticisms but welcome to the nfl draft. I’m generally more concerned with what these guys can do as opposed to what they can’t.  He has rare attributes. That’s hard to get outside the top of the draft. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The Lombardi video I posted in another thread a few minutes ago--Lombardi says, "You want to know what a team is going to do, look at the depth chart."  He also mentioned how only 27% of first round WRs succeed and how most of the good WRs in the NFL were day 2 and 3 players in the draft

Hmm, Lamb, Chase, Waddle, Jefferson, Wilson, Olave, Smith and Aiyuk just in the last 3 drafts.

Even last year, you added Flowers and Addison, but it’s way too early.

The amount of WRs taken in round 2-7 plus UDFAs way more than round 1, so saying most good WRs come from 6 rounds and all undrafted compared to the pool of 2-5 guys every year, isn’t a fair analysis.

Also, his 27% seems low in the last 3 or 4 drafts. Add in 2024, which has 3 seemingly stud WRs probably in the top 10, and his argument loses more value.

17 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The Lombardi video I posted in another thread a few minutes ago--Lombardi says, "You want to know what a team is going to do, look at the depth chart."  He also mentioned how only 27% of first round WRs succeed and how most of the good WRs in the NFL were day 2 and 3 players in the draft? 

We have 2 30-year old ILBs (Jewell and Thompson).  Not much behind them at all.  LB is a huge need. 

At CB, we have oft-injured Horn, Dane Jackson, and  33-year old Troy Hill at nickel.  Not much behind them. 

At WR, we have Johnson (a decent X), Thielen (a solid slot in his last year), and Mingo, a second year player at Z.  Behind them, we have Smith Marsette and MAYBE TMJ.  We could use a player to challenge Mingo and/or to groom for the slot position.  I contend that this is not as big of a need early as LB or CB. 

We could argue that C is in the cards.

this isnt saying too much but I honest to God believe I could have done a better job then fat fug fitterer 

• Beer 1

19 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I was okay with the Xavier until I read he was a 5th year senior and only really had one good year. After I read that I was like, nah, I wouldn’t complain if he was taken in the 3rd or 4th but not 33rd or 39th.

Screenshot_20240331_162548_Google.thumb.jpg.3b7a407030f67cfda9b1ade811920090.jpg

Just for some context

• Beer 1