• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

21 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

morgan and canales specifically said his abilities fit their plans and what they want to do on offense. that’s why he was their guy. i presume they know more about their plans and their offense than you do, but i could be wrong.

Canales also didn’t draft the anomaly QB. 

I wanted Leggette and at the same time I don’t think he is a great pairing for Bryce.  Outside of the old college try because he has to this year….Canales shouldn’t be overly tied to Bryce and I don’t think should be pigeon holed into building a team/future that caters to a guy he didn’t draft. 

• Pie 7

27 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I can understand not wanting Legette, but I really don't understand people shitting on the move to get back into the 1st to draft him.

Replace Legette with whatever WR you preferred, the move makes sense with the enormous contracts WRs are getting these days. The extra year of discounted play and contract control is worth it for a WR, not a center though.

So I really don't care that they could have had him today, we didn't surrender any future picks, we didn't lose any picks, we swapped our 2nd for their 1st and our 5th for their 6th. We moved up in a more important round, and down in a less important round.

32nd pick is getting a roughly 12 million dollar contract and control for 5 years.

33rd pick gets roughly 10 million and control for 4 years.

Monetarily, it makes sense and the logic of doing it is sound.

as I mentioned earlier, you’re also ideally hoping that Young and Leggette and pick 39 all manifest into second contract players. Without the option on Leggette, all three of those guys would need those contracts in the same offseason, which is a huge ask. 

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

thats easy, you could literally get the same guy at 33 and you can field calls for a potential deal.  The 5th year option doesnt move the needle for a variety of reasons and we gave up almost 2 rounds worth with the pick flip

You seem to have the same loser mentality that you complain the franchise has.

They think he will be a stud so they want to be able to have him under contract for cheaper and longer.

You don't think anyone we draft will be good so we should trade back and get more picks increasing the chances we land someone.

Why are you so miserable about everything?

Is your personal life as negative as your panther fandom?

You okay dude? I haven't seen you post one non-negative, smarmy or sarcastic thing in like a year. Not even base neutral comments, it's all so negative.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Growl said:

exposit the reasons why it “doesn’t move the needle” 

He thinks it's irrelevant because good rookies are supposed to sign their second contract before they get to their 5th year option.

14 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

I wonder what’s wrong with Mingo.  We basically gave up on him.

I don't think so, Canales is a smart dude. Everything on the offensive side for young players got thrown out the window. Offensive vets who don't fit his scheme and you know what they can do were moved. I think Mingo get's a fresh start (as he should) along with everyone else remaining from last year's offense. 

16 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

I don't think so, Canales is a smart dude. Everything on the offensive side for young players got thrown out the window. Offensive vets who don't fit his scheme and you know what they can do were moved. I think Mingo get's a fresh start (as he should) along with everyone else remaining from last year's offense. 

Canales is smart based on what exactly? He talks a smooth game but dude has one year as a coordinator, and it's not like the moves made this offseason required any kind of high intelligence to predict. He could turn out to be good but the story has yet to be written on him as a head coach and any related aspects.

Yeah the trade was a big nothing. Mostly to do with cap implications. I preferred AD and he was there but I’m not losing sleep over XL. He wasn’t some crazy reach where we got him and this staff seems to be sold on him. They got the guy they wanted on a contract they wanted by switching a 5th for a 6th. No big deal…

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Canales is smart based on what exactly? He talks a smooth game but dude has one year as a coordinator, and it's not like the moves made this offseason required any kind of high intelligence to predict. He could turn out to be good but the story has yet to be written on him as a head coach and any related aspects.

These upbeat, positive types end up looking like total payasos in the midst of a dismal season. This board is going to turn on him in a hurry if we don't show some immediate improvement.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, KSpan said:

There was a story about last year draft evaluations and he studies Young for due diligence. They met, and Canales had picked up a slight adjustment Young had made standing a little more upright. Young said no other team noticed, or maybe I should say asked about it.

He has a track record of having helped QBs. He had seasons of being an NFL WR coach. 

2010-1017 he coached WRs at Seattle. Who had a very similar, to what we have, player throwing the ball to them. I don’t know how smart That makes but he has real experience with a successful team dealing with somethjing that looks a lot like this.

I say it every coach search: they all have to grow into the job. It is different than what they had done. Plenty of first time NFL HCs say stuff like that. He will have to learn too. 

I think what we have with this richer than normal owner is, it is no sweat to pay a guy to run the D, who is head coach level talented. Which leaves Canales more free to get the offensive side going, and spend his time doing what he has shown to be good at. 

I wasn’t against hiring Reich but think Canales offers a bit more, potentially. 

via the WR coaching aspect

Edited by strato
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

These upbeat, positive types end up looking like total payasos in the midst of a dismal season. This board is going to turn on him in a hurry if we don't show some immediate improvement.

I really can't stand his 'youth pastor' vibe as some have put it and don't want to hold his confidence against him since what else is he really going to be, but I'm just a fan and admittedly quite cynical about the team, so my opinion on him at this point is irrelevant. Bottom line is he could turn out great and only time will tell, so I'm just waiting for actual football to be played.

4 minutes ago, strato said:

There was a story about last year draft evaluations and he studies Young for due diligence. They met, and Canales had picked up a slight adjustment Young had made standing a little more upright. Young said no other team noticed, or maybe I should say asked about it.

He has a track record of having helped QBs. He had seasons of being an NFL WR coach. 

2010-1017 he coached WRs at Seattle. Who had a very similar, to what we have, player throwing the ball to them. I don’t know how smart That makes but he has real experience with a successful team dealing with somethjing that looks a lot like this.

I say it every coach search: they all have to grow into the job. It is different than what they had done. Plenty of first time NFL HCs say stuff like that. He will have to learn too. 

I think what we have with this richer than normal owner is, it is no sweat to pay a guy to run the D, who is head coach level talented. Which leaves Canales more free to get the offensive side going, and spend his time doing what he has shown to be good at. 

I wasn’t against hiring Reich but think Canales offers a bit more, potentially. 

via the WR coaching aspect

FWIW I didn't immediately hate the Canles hiring like I did the Reich and Rhule hires... those were dumpster fires so easily predictable that is was kind of aggravating. No disagreement that every new coach has their lumps to take and things to learn, just saying that there is little to nothing to go on with respect to his acumen as HC. I find his disposition annoying but as I noted above, that's more to do with me and the only thing that ultimately matters is the results.

• Beer 1