• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 NFL Draft: Rounds 2 & 3

7 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Why wouldn’t Legette and Brooks start? They say Brooks should be ready by training camp. I’m alright if they ease him in a bit but it seems pretty likely he starts at some point this season. And there’s no other WR on our roster who does what Legette does. He’s a starter.

How is Legette better than Mingo & TMJ? There's a good chance he doesn't even beat them out in camp.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pretty wild for 6 QBs to go in the top 12 then zero from picks 13 though 100.

Definitely reinforces the notion that there was a huge drop off after the first six. I just thought we'd see a decent drop off after the first four. I figured Nix and Penix would go somewhere between the late first and the end of the second. Definitely didn't see either in the top half of the first.

Definitely won't see that in the 2025 QB draft.  I figured Nix would probably drop to round two, but when the Falcons nabbed Penix, Denver got REAL anxious.

People are still evaluating QBs as if they are or are not “worth” a 1st round pick, when cost has become a huge consideration 

the broncos didn’t talk themselves into believing Bo nix was an elite prospect. They did come to the realization that a solid quarterback integrated into their offense, who is cost controlled is every bit as valuable as a defensive tackle they kinda like. In Payton’s case, he certainly believes he is qualified to maximize Nix

an insider with a comment made by an nfl executive said it best: there is no longer a middle class for QBs.

The idea that first round QBs should be transformative is an outsiders take, but cost comprises a huge part of value for teams and rookie contract QBs are highly valuable 

that isn’t to say teams are enslaved to the salary cap, they definitely aren’t and that’s been proven over and again, buts it’s these elements that make it so malleable. 

at least that’s a line of thinking prevalent in the league right now 

Edited by Growl

12 minutes ago, Growl said:

People are still evaluating QBs as if they are or are not “worth” a 1st round pick, when cost has become a huge consideration 

the broncos didn’t talk themselves into believing Bo nix was an elite prospect. They did come to the realization that a solid quarterback integrated into their offense, who is cost controlled is every bit as valuable as a defensive tackle they kinda like. In Payton’s case, he certainly believes he is qualified to maximize Nix

an insider with a comment made by an nfl executive said it best: there is no longer a middle class for QBs.

The idea that first round QBs should be transformative is an outsiders take, but cost comprises a huge part of value for teams and rookie contract QBs are highly valuable 

that isn’t to say teams are enslaved to the salary cap, they definitely aren’t and that’s been proven over and again, buts it’s these elements that make it so malleable. 

at least that’s a line of thinking prevalent in the league right now 

The rookie wage scale changed the risk/reward analysis big time. QB is by FAR the most valuable position. So if youu don't have a franchise QB and you think there's a guy on the board who might be able to develop into one and you're protected from having to pay him big money you almost have to take him. That combined with the league emphasizing offense with practically every rule tweak is why we're seeing guys who in years past would've probably been 2nd round picks going in the top half of the 1st.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

How is Legette better than Mingo & TMJ? There's a good chance he doesn't even beat them out in camp.

That is a bit over the top to me. Legette is athletically on higher level - like noticeably higher- to me. And I have not been a basher of either of those guys. (I mean I don’t think the are trash). 

I get the impression you think less of them than I do so you are putting Legette down pretty hard. 

Every player in the draft is a gamble, we’ll see soon enough what the deal is. 

Edited by strato

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

BPA draft so far just like they said they were gonna do just draft good players 

Every team says they drafted BPA. I suppose it was BPA on their draft board. I would love to have a snapshot of it to review in a couple of years. Then we can evaluate their scouting and evaluation prowess. 

1 minute ago, strato said:

That is a bit over the top to me. Legette is athletically on higher level - like noticeably higher- to me. And I have not been a basher of either of those guys.

I get the impression you think less of them than I do so you are putting Legette down pretty hard. 

Every player in the draft is a gamble, we’ll see soon enough what the deal is. 

Him using TMJ in his argument says all you need to know.

• Beer 1