• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Every Xavier Legette target 2023

9 minutes ago, strato said:

Frank, you know what I think about Young’s arm (subpar). 

I don’t understand how weight lifting helps get velocity on a throw.

Maybe lower body stuff combined with streamlining and tightening up his mechanics? 

The odds of Canales or anyone completely fixing his mechanics and footwork in one offseason are low let's just be honest about that. His mechanics are what they are because he's been doing things this way since high school to compensate for his height.

In terms of his arm we will have to agree to disagree. In the short term adding any level of muscle would certainly help more than not given the situation. We cannot change his height. But even Scott Fitterer talked about getting him into the weight room. He's long gone.

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)

54 minutes ago, frankw said:

The odds of Canales or anyone completely fixing his mechanics and footwork in one offseason are low let's just be honest about that. His mechanics are what they are because he's been doing things this way since high school to compensate for his height.

In terms of his arm we will have to agree to disagree. In the short term adding any level of muscle would certainly help more than not given the situation. We cannot change his height. But even Scott Fitterer talked about getting him into the weight room. He's long gone.

I just am not aware of regimens that offer increased velocity which is the biggest weakness I can see in Young (that needs addressing right now).

Is it possible to do? Who has done it that we can see as an example? I guess I am saying before I believe weights will give him added zip on the ball, I would want proof that it works. 

I think weight room would help him not be pulled down by two fingers, even if they are big strong DL fingers. They are still fingers controlling 185 lbs. So that needs to be addressed but it is a secondary issue behind his footwork and ball velocity.

It might help too, in allowing him to retain some velocity while not putting 100% effort into throws. Which should help his ‘deep’ ball. 

I agree they can’t fix his footwork on those pistol or gun snaps where he slowly goes backwards and does the tippy toe thing. 

Maybe putting him under center and taking the option of that type of drop away from him, forcing him into the classic under center style. Drop and plant and throw. Maybe that would help get around it. 

Edited by strato

One thing XL has going for him is he has a superstar name. Legette is such a badass last name. Reminds me of Legate Lanius from Fallout New Vegas, one of the best games ever made

8 hours ago, strato said:

I just am not aware of regimens that offer increased velocity which is the biggest weakness I can see in Young (that needs addressing right now).

Is it possible to do? Who has done it that we can see as an example? I guess I am saying before I believe weights will give him added zip on the ball, I would want proof that it works. 

I think weight room would help him not be pulled down by two fingers, even if they are big strong DL fingers. They are still fingers controlling 185 lbs. So that needs to be addressed but it is a secondary issue behind his footwork and ball velocity.

It might help too, in allowing him to retain some velocity while not putting 100% effort into throws. Which should help his ‘deep’ ball. 

I agree they can’t fix his footwork on those pistol or gun snaps where he slowly goes backwards and does the tippy toe thing. 

Maybe putting him under center and taking the option of that type of drop away from him, forcing him into the classic under center style. Drop and plant and throw. Maybe that would help get around it. 

Look don't get me wrong here. I'm not arguing it's going to just change his arm talent overnight. I'm just saying doing anything on the physical front after the GM who stuck his neck out for him over the concerns around his physical traits got fired is better than doing nothing.

That's another layer. It could easily be argued overall he needed to add at least 10 pounds not just for the sake of working in the pocket and not going down so easily but let's be honest eventually no matter how much we invest in the OL he's going to get hit some and those hits will add up. His frame as it stands is only going to absorb so much over a 17 game season.

Oh definitely good or bad we will have to run a lot of under center stuff. Bryce will either look good or flounder. But our offense will remain stagnant if we just keep running shotgun plays 90% of the time. You're telegraphing your offense otherwise. That's why I'm not giving Chuba Hubbard too hard of a time over his YPC last year. We weren't fooling anyone.

We'll see what Canales has cooked up. It better be pretty damn clever.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

10 hours ago, CRA said:

I don’t think the Panthers have ever accepted what they drafted at QB.  And there coaching hires and front offices reinforce that belief for me.   I still think they are setting up a bad marriage again for Bryce.

I mean maybe they are in denial and not getting the right pieces around Bryce.  Or maybe they are getting the types of guys they think they need, and Bryce has gotta figure it out or they’ll replace him too.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, strato said:

Frank, you know what I think about Young’s arm (subpar). 

I don’t understand how weight lifting helps get velocity on a throw.

Maybe lower body stuff combined with streamlining and tightening up his mechanics? 

So if he strengthens his core, shoulders, and legs, and tightens his mechanics and becomes more intentional with the way he throws the football, the velocity will improve. He's destined to never have a Cam cannon because he doesn't have the length. His stature means he will never have elite level velocity throw to throw, so his decision making has to be above average as well as his predictive timing. The velocity can only be compensated for in this way.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

His stature means he will never have elite level velocity throw to throw, so his decision making has to be above average as well as his predictive timing. 

I think we saw his super processor kick in after the Falcons game, he intentionally didn't attempt certain throws because he didn't trust his velocity, as well as some he probably just literally couldn't see where guys were on scramble drills. That takes away his whole "timing qb" thing many folks love to label him as. I guess they can try to game plan around it but it won't take opposing defenses very long to watch a little film and figure it out

On 5/2/2024 at 3:31 PM, CRA said:

That's what I hope.  I think based on the little we have seen from Canales....a young Jake Delhomme is a better pairing for his O than what Bryce brings.   Which is why Baker rebounded with him.  Seattle, Bucs.  All about the type throws Leggette is a fix for.   It's chunk plays.  

Baker didn’t fuging rebound with him. Sick of this false narrative. Baker only ever played poorly here.