• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

truthfully, when did he have time last year to throw it down field? plays took far too long to develop and the OL gave him no time. 

i think we are basing far too much of bryce's assessment on a situation that didn't work out in his favor at all. it was probably the worst situation a rookie QB could have found himself in. the only i can think of who had it worse was David Carr, who had an even worse rookie season than Bryce by a significant margin statistically. 

i think most would realize that carr was probably a better QB than his record would show, but he was shell shocked in his first few years because they did nothing to try to help him out. 3 of his 5 years in houston he led the league in sacks. i don't think he would ever have been an elite QB, but had he been in a better situation he probably would have had a better and longer career.

point is, i don't think we saw everything that bryce is capable of because he was limited by the situation. but i understand the pessimism most have, because all we really have to go on was what we saw last year. that's why i wait to see what happens with a better situation. i just don't think you can give an accurate assessment of him based on last year. it wouldn't be fair for any rookie, tbh, but for one whos situation was so fugged up i think it's even more unfair.

had nothing changed in the situation, you could probably expect more of the same. that's just not the case, though. a whole lot changed for the team and for his situation and i think for the better. it just makes sense that if we improved the situation that he will improve. 

even so…before a snap was played last season, no one thought Bryce was going to be a risk taking gunslinger.  

I’m just saying some schemes and brands of football are suited for those QBs.   Canales has always been around offenses that favor that mindset.  Sure seems like that is going to continue based on the little we hear and they are doing. 

so really much like going into last season, it all just seems like parts that shouldn’t go together.   Which is an organizational issue more than a Bryce issue.  We are poorly managed.  Bad fits.  

I think Bryce would work better with a Joe Brady than Frank Reich or what we saw in Tampa.  Think Bryce trends more to the Teddy/Alex Smith world.  I mean, they can all technically go deep.  

• Pie 2

I didn't see any potential in him last season, and you can't learn arm strength or height 

I would Rather have Teddy,PJ, Sam even Cam with his busted shoulder would be more exciting than watching Bryce waste everyone's time and money for another season

Don't think he is a franchise QB.  A dink and dunk "game manager" type. He needs a good running game behind him. Thats his ceiling I believe.

He has a very limited set of physical tools to work with. Sorry, but true.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Cousins can win the NFCS but he has won 1 playoff game ever. He isn't there for a SB but to take an easy division.

They are betting Penix can be more which is also what pisses Cousins off about that situation, it's the same thing he was running from in Minny. SF already did this to Jimmy G with 2 young QBs, they also handled it way better as far as I have heard, so it's not that new in Atlanata...even if they did their best at creating internal friction. 

It's ironic that he would be upset for that reason, given that he played the same role with Griffin.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

even so…before a snap was played last season, no one thought Bryce was going to be a risk taking gunslinger.  

I’m just saying some schemes and brands of football are suited for those QBs.   Canales has always been around offenses that favor that mindset.  Sure seems like that is going to continue based on the little we hear and they are doing. 

so really much like going into last season, it all just seems like parts that shouldn’t go together.   Which is an organizational issue more than a Bryce issue.  We are poorly managed.  Bad fits.  

I think Bryce would work better with a Joe Brady than Frank Reich or what we saw in Tampa.  Think Bryce trends more to the Teddy/Alex Smith world.  I mean, they can all technically go deep. 

I don't know...I think he tailors things around what Bryce can do comfortably and well. The run game and OK will just make it easier. Run games and OL don't just help gunslingers. They help every young or weaker QB.

I think people are just stuck in limited paradigms.

Good time to break the Vet QB thing down I guess. 

The only QBs still active from Canales' time in Seattle that aren't locked down with other teams are Brett Hundley and Jacob Easton. 

In Buffalo, Morgan was in their office when they brought it Matt Barkley, Jake Fromm, and Jacob Eason. Fromm just got waived and Barkley and Eason are both available. (And have been here before). 

Others that are a possibility- Kyle Allen (Likely cut in Pittsburgh). Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Tannehill, Brian Hoyer, Trevor Siemien, AJ McCarron, are also available. 

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blaine Gabbert if this is what they do. He was in KC with Tillis last year. 

If Tampa cuts John Wolford, he might get picked up since he was with Tampa last season.

• Beer 2

20 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Good time to break the Vet QB thing down I guess. 

The only QBs still active from Canales' time in Seattle that aren't locked down with other teams are Brett Hundley and Jacob Easton. 

In Buffalo, Morgan was in their office when they brought it Matt Barkley, Jake Fromm, and Jacob Eason. Fromm just got waived and Barkley and Eason are both available. (And have been here before). 

Others that are a possibility- Kyle Allen (Likely cut in Pittsburgh). Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Tannehill, Brian Hoyer, Trevor Siemien, AJ McCarron, are also available. 

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blaine Gabbert if this is what they do. He was in KC with Tillis last year. 

If Tampa cuts John Wolford, he might get picked up since he was with Tampa last season.

I wonder how long they keep this Jack Plumber guy around. I guess they needed an arm for rookie camp but it’s an extremely underwhelming option even for a qb3

41 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Ok, so my OOAL projection for Bryce this year....

~500 attempts

~320 completions (64%)

~3800 yards 

~25 TDs + 4 rushing TDs

~15 INTs

Come At Me All That GIF by NickRewind

A bit on the homer side but I wouldn’t hate it. Those stats mean we will win more games. 

16 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

A bit on the homer side but I wouldn’t hate it. Those stats mean we will win more games. 

I think it's reasonable. What makes it hard is just how much we rely on the run.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

That’s the last thing we need. Stumble our way to a couple of pointless victories 

If Bryce shows legit potential (doubtful) then win all the games you want. 

But if we’re winning games like we did with Sam Darnold then that does us no good at all

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, BrisbanePanther said:

It's ironic that he would be upset for that reason, given that he played the same role with Griffin.

They were rookies the same year which IMO is so much worse than old, coming off a difficult injury and still not a postseason winner regardless of regular season wins with a rookie QB.

• Flames 1

Winning pointless games is QB purgatory. Been doing this the last 5 years now.

Either be pretty good and competitive when it actually matters or just be garbage. No more winning a few meaningless games for the team culture that still ends up being awful.

5 hours ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Good time to break the Vet QB thing down I guess

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blaine Gabbert if this is what they do. 

The irony of Gabbert being in Carolina…the QB pundits wanted drafted over Cam