• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade up to 9th pick of second round - select Devin Funchess

Montsta

It's 4th and goal from the 1. The Panthers line Benjamin up on the outside, Olsen and Funchess down as our 2 tight ends. Cam at QB, Tolbert and Stew in the backfield.

Tell me ladies and gentlemen, how do you stop that? If you thought we could Riverboat before...

What I don't understand is why we didn't take one of the actual first round quality receivers in the first and then if we really loved shaq trade up to get him. I bet he still would have been there.

So this trade reeks of desperation. Gettleman seen receivers falling off the board and had to settle with a slower TE with bad football iq and is passive on the field. This wouldn't be bad if we didn't need speed.

according to Gettleman after they made the pick, they had Funchess rated as 1st round pick

maybe you should actually go out on this thing called the interwebs and do some researching

Pro day times are always suspiciously fast.  No one in the history of the world has ever ran slower at his pro day.  Funchess ran a 4.7 at the combine.

Many don't do pro day 40's unless they screw up the ciombine.  Funchess did say he was up late doing interviews the night before, and was simply tired.  Don't know how true it is, but I am not sure if it matters all that much.  A 6-4 230lbs receiver who can run 4.5 can be a very effective weapon.  If nothing else, we could line him up at tight end sometimes with G.O. on the other side, along with Benjamin and Brown at the wideouts.  That could be a very effective 3rd down set.

according to Gettleman after they made the pick, they had Funchess rated as 1st round pick

maybe you should actually go out on this thing called the interwebs and do some researching

And gettleman said he wasn't trading at all. So maybe you should go listen and realize the guy blows smoke.

This has honestly been one of the worst offseasons I've ever seen a team put together. Not over either. Go ahead, give it a month, I'm sure we'll found out the day TC opens that Luke beat his girlfriend with a sword

Haha.. Step back from the ledge

It's 4th and goal from the 1. The Panthers line Benjamin up on the outside, Olsen and Funchess down as our 2 tight ends. Cam at QB, Tolbert and Stew in the backfield.

Tell me ladies and gentlemen, how do you stop that? If you thought we could Riverboat before...

Trick scenario.

We never let it get to fourth down. Score on third.

Rotoworld hates the pick

Panthers traded up to draft Michigan WR Devin Funchess with the No. 41 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

The Panthers gave picks 57, 89 and 201 to the Rams for the right to move up 16 spots. Funchess (6'4/232) shuttled between tight end and receiver at Michigan, parlaying 126 grabs into 1,715 yards (13.6 YPR) with 15 TDs. Long armed (33 1/2") and exceptionally young for a rookie, Funchess won't turn 21 until May 21. Funchess has drawn Kelvin Benjamin comparisons, but on the field lacks Benjamin's aggressive "my-ball" mentality, instead showing passivity and a frustratingly low football IQ. He displayed zero run-after-catch ability in 2014, frequently getting ankle tackled by sub-200-pound defensive backs. Funchess is an enigma, albeit one with upside from a size-athleticism standpoint. He ran 4.47/4.53 at the Wolverines' Pro Day and has a 38 1/2-inch vertical. The Panthers will try to install him opposite Benjamin as a twin towers kind of duo for oft-erratic thrower Cam Newton.

Look.  The front office did their homework on these guys.  I believe that Proehl has his input and between Gettleman and Proehl if they think he is worth this pick.  I am all for it.

So many criers over Gettleman and his picks.  Our team has taken a turn upwards because of the drafting and UDFA prowess of Gettleman.

Funchess said he was tired from the interviews during the combine.   He ran better at his pro day.   We'll be fine.

Archived