• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we officially free of all of Huney's contracts?

Donald LaFell

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

also remmers is everyone's favorite whipping boy for the fact that there isn't a lombardi at 800 south mint right now and rightly so, but it seems like whichever broncos player it was that said we just lined up and did exactly what they had seen a hundred times on film is something that gets glossed over.  and that's 100% on the coaching staff.

100 percent correct. If the defense knows what you are doing you are screwed no matter who's executing

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

And Thomas Davis and Kalil and Charles Johnson, and Stewart and brought in Tolbert and traded for Greg Olsen<--- which is still the most impressive move this team has ever made. 

So yea he was only responsible for 80% of the pro bowlers on the team last year. But bow down to the mighty Dave. 

Using Pro Bowlers of a GM who had been here for what, 8 years, and had a few top picks against a guy here for 3 years, and consistently picking at the end of the rounds? 

Yeah...not seeing how that's a fair or even somewhat intelligent comparison right now. 5 years from now? Sure. But unless GMan has had rookies, 2nd year guys, or cheap FAs going to Pro Bowls (rare for anyone) kinda ridiculous to compare to a more tenured GM. That said, KK and Trai went last year, and Coleman was right on the edge. I think it's safe to say guys like KB, Funch, Shaq, etc. could find their way there over the next few years and poof...those Pro Bowl numbers look kinda similar, no? 

5 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Missing the point

Not really.

Steve Smith is gone, and the notion that he "proved he could still play" has been picked apart. And not by Panther fans, but by the Baltimore beat writers who pointed out near the end of his first year as a Raven that, after some early-season success, he faded for the rest of the year.

Last year, similar story. A few good early games and then an injury (which at age 35 plus he's much more prone to). Even his last years here weren't up to previous season's standards, so why should that be a surprise?

Meanwhile, the team that moved on from him had its greatest season ever last year and fell just short of winning it all, all without him. That's a fact that probably galls Smith to some point, but really seems to stick in the craw of some fans that won't let him go.

But really, so what?

Football teams are run best when the emotion is taken out of it and decisions are made on what's best for business. That's the way the Panthers are run now. Might not sit well with some fans, but continuing to be perennially mediocre - like we were under Hurney - would sit even worse.

Bottom Line: Smith is gone, and like it or not we became a better team without him.

You can keep trying to spin everything  like  we're winning despite Gettleman or you can get over it. Your choice, but it won't change reality.

Any GM can pick the first round. We are thankful that Hurney nailed Cam, Luke, TD, CJ and Stewart.  But those first round picks he traded away did not pan out at all.  While Otah was good he was a big female organ. Both Edwards were a shot in the dark and thank God he didn't trade our 2011 pick to draft Jimmy. 

The difference IMO between Hurney and Gettleman.  Hurney got us good starter, Getteman got us good starters and good depth.  Gettleman has the philosophy that we are never one man away, while Hurney had no philosophy after the first round.   Hurney screwed this team and through some serious hard work Gettleman took those cap strapped teams and got us in the playoffs. 

While I don't think Gettleman is error free and I believe he has a good plan and continues to find players that fit our scheme.  You cannot turn an eye to Mitchell's, Coleman, Harper (yes I know many hated him but) White and the list goes on and on.

Outside of Olsen who did Hurney ever bring in that actual was stellar.

4 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Isn't it funny after Smith leaves we have one of the best tight-knit group of WRs in franchise history? It's not a coincidence that we struggled past WR1 Smith's entire career and then "boom!" that happens.

Is this sarcasm? I hope so,

If this is serious, what season is this current WR unit better than?

You do remember Muhsin Muhammad, Ricky Proehl, and Keyshawn Johnson?

Keary Colbert and Brandon LaFell were even better than GInn, Funchess, Brown, Bersin, and Byrd. I have hope that Funchess will be better than Colbert and LaFell, but just based off last season Funchess is behind those two. As for Muhammad, Proehl, and Keyshawn, Funchess has a ways to go to prove he is better than those #2 receivers in Panthers' history.

Kelvin Benjamin is still unproven and defenses were not even respecting him in preseason. He has a ways to go to prove himself better than Smitty.

Panthers QB situation was never that good the entire time of Hurney being GM. Jake was never the creme of the crop. My question is who were we supposed to get that could do any better?? When you dont have a QB that can uplift the team tremendously the way Cam can your looking at taking more drastic measures for improvement, like dishing out ridiculously contracts to keep players and making bold draft decisions. Having a tom brady or Aaron Rodgers at QB greatly changes the way u can run a team, it's less pressure, you are hardly ever backed into a wall or forced to make a splash that could back fire. Extremely different circumstances to weight success and failure of both. 

21 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Keary Colbert and Brandon LaFell were even better than GInn, Funchess, Brown, Bersin, and Byrd. I have hope that Funchess will be better than Colbert and LaFell, but just based off last season Funchess is behind those two. As for Muhammad, Proehl, and Keyshawn, Funchess has a ways to go to prove he is better than those #2 receivers in Panthers' history.

Kelvin Benjamin is still unproven and defenses were not even respecting him in preseason. He has a ways to go to prove himself better than Smitty.

KJ did squat here. And by the time KJ was here, Proehl wasn't there anymore. So those 3 were never together.

KC and BF is no better than anyone we have and it's not even close loll. Those 2 also never played together.

Speaking on Dave/Hurney

I love Josh Norman. I wanted him on the team and I think in our scheme he is the equivalent of a shut down corner. I loved his pride and willingness to bet on himself time and time again. But he wanted too much and you can't blame either party for sticking to their guns. I am pulling for him in DC and I think he is an inspiring player. That said he is asking to get smoked with all game he talks and he's not on the best defense in the league anymore.

I wanted Smitty on the roster. But every true Panther fan does. That said we are probably glossing over issues that Smith may very well have caused in the locker room. If you ask me these are adults playing a kids game. You would think they could figure that poo out but maybe they couldn't. Who knows. Despite that he is my Jerry Rice GOAT and I don't care what anyone says.

And with KK. Yes sign this man. However if Butler looks like a stud , tell me DG doesn't look like a genius again.

We can say what want but we are embarking on the most successful run this franchise has had.

Yea Marty drafted Cam and Luke. But Rivera also had input. And Marty always had a history of drafting great players but he was crap at making a balanced roster and checkbook. Sure we had Peppers for a long time. But what good was he when our interior line was garbage post 2004?

Or the fact that we also had an idiot coach in Fox who refuse to play the best players. And would never adjust his scheme to even fit the ones he favored.

29 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

kGpRV5p.jpg

27 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Dude what?

Obviously the 03-04 was a special set of talents that Funchess and  Benjamin have yet to live up to.  But my god yes KB, Funchess and Ted Ginn blow the doors off LaFell and Kerry Colbert.

In terms of raw talent this group is seriously stacked. KB is always open when healthy. Funchess is capable of being a #1 WR in every way and Ted Ginn is two slaps of stickem away from being the best deep threat in football.

Then there is Corey Brown who is the best #4 WR we've had in ages with potential to be more.

26 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

I bet you are a hoot at family reunions. "Wow, I would have thought little Johnny would have grown more over the year. I think aunt Peggy is much prettier than aunt Jackie, but Jackie has more potential. And don't even get  me started on that potatoe salad."

I like how you just pick a bunch of random WRS to try and dismiss this group. That's cool though. Lot's of folks fudge the truth to make a point. There are a whole lot of us who are extremely happy with how our WRS group is looking. So you can go ahead and dismiss this group. We got you covered.

10 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I bet you are a hoot at family reunions. "Wow, I would have thought little Johnny would have grown more over the year. I think aunt Peggy is much prettier than aunt Jackie, but Jackie has more potential. And don't even get  me started on that potatoe salad."

I like how you just pick a bunch of random WRS to try and dismiss this group. That's cool though. Lot's of folks fudge the truth to make a point. There are a whole lot of us who are extremely happy with how our WRS group is looking. So you can go ahead and dismiss this group. We got you covered.

I'd put him on my ignore list, but his responses are so incoherent and funny that I just can't do it.  You have to admire his dedication to trolling though 

Archived