• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Voth: At Least One Team Looking To Trade For Tre Boston

bobsfoodbasics

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Surprised, but it's another reminder that professionals rarely see things the same way fans do (Mike Remmers contact makes that very clear).

Many fans just don't appreciate average to slightly above average players. Sometimes that is what your pocketbook warrants when you look at the overall makeup of your team and what you're trying to do as far as filling holes and addressing priorities. Moreover, sometimes the right fit is just as important as anything else. Fans tend to have tunnel vision as it pertains to the bigger picture. 

Tre is adequate and aggressive against the run, and Remmers is adequate at RT and a versatile player. One man's trash...

If we move him, I wouldn't think it would happen until draft day. Like I was saying earlier, he's a decent backup and is pretty cheap and has starting experience in our system. That's a decently valuable asset. Wouldn't want to trade him without knowing exactly what we were going to get in return meaning knowing who's on the board.

I'm a bigger fan of Tre's than most on this board. He's not a perfect player, but to me, most of the hate towards Tre is from the perceived reputation he had while playing at UNC when he played on one of the worst collective defenses and defensive schemes that UNC has ever had. Most of the time he was having to overcompensate for the other 10 guys on the field. 

Boston is not without flaws. He does have the tendency to get burned in coverage because he bites on routes, but he also does things well. He is the best blitzer we have in the our secondary by far and while he misses tackles from time to time, the kid can lay the wood too and doesn't shy away from contact.

I never understood why Coleman played strong safety instead of Boston, but Tre has had a lot of really nice moments for this franchise. He may not be the ideal starter, but he's a great rotational safety.

I imagine Tre won't resign here after next season unless he's given assurance that he's a starter so if you can get a good return for him it makes since to deal. However, we should not just give him away for peanuts like some are suggesting because he can really help this team this year even if it's in a rotation role behind a Coleman/Adams combo.

RR has been worried about Tre because he wants the guy to get a really good contract, but his play is not living up to it. I think some teams must be aware of this and now they're sniffing around. Wonder what we'd trade him for? 4th round pick?

28 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Tre is the team's new Captain Munnerlyn I'll never understand all the ire towards him.

he is constantly lost in space on passing plays that require him to cover a deep zone. he has poor instinct on plays that require him to diagnose passing directions and is frequently late coming over the top to provide coverage. terrible in man coverage on anything over ten yards, especially on receivers where he can't make up for misjudgements with speed.

he takes good angles against the run, can blitz effectively, and he's ok against tight ends.

all things considered his upside is far outweighed by his deficiencies. we can do way better.

38 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Boston likely wouldn't pull more than a 6th judging by similar contracts. Hard to see Boston shipped for that right now, but maybe on draft night if one is drafted early.

Yep, 6th is about the best you could get for him, and would not be able to get an equal replacement in the 6th

Archived