• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

corners

juliosantos

22 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

CB is definitely the weak spot that will be attacked in all areas of the game in 2017. They were attacked a lot in 2016, but not near what they will see now.

Last season they had teams attacking Kony Ealy, Vernon Butler, and Paul Soliai on the edge. They had Tre Boston, Robert McClain, Bene Benwikere, and Kurt Coleman at SS that offenses would attack up the middle. Bradberry and Worley got their share, but the other weak points on defense got some attention off of them. Bradberry was lucky to have a weaker CB opposite him that would be attacked more often.

That changes in 2017. Teams will want to stay away from everyone on the DL now with Ealy gone and Peppers waiting on the edge. Coleman goes back to FS with Adams at SS and Captain at nickel making the middle of the field very difficult to attack around the LBs.

Bradberry and Worley will be isolated a lot in 2017. They will need to play 10x better than they did in 2016, and they need to create more turnovers and attack downfield with their tackling in the running game. If they are anything like they were in their rookie seasons, then I expect the Kony Ealy treatment for Worley with Captain moving into a starting role and the front office scrambling for some mid season vet CBs.

Did you mean for all those words to come out of your mouth or did they just randomly fall out?

Corner is one of the hardest positions to translate to the NFL. They're usually on a three year learning curve. A lot of people wanted Norman cut, e en going into his third season. I think both of the rooks will be fine going on. But I could see us drafting a CB later in draft.

I'm definitely keeping my eyes on Sidney Jones' stock on draft day. DJ and Bucky Brooks think he possibly falls to day 3 now with that injury. An achilles could potentially take until 2019 for him to return to his original speed/explosiveness/flexibility, if at all.  Look at Victor Cruz as an example of the after affect.

Jones was a top-15 pick prior and only 21 years old will help a lot. I don't see how making it to the third round is possible, but with sooooooo many talented CBs available, perhaps he does slide. If he's there at the start of day 3, I'd move up to take him in the 3rd.  Stash him away for a year and let him come along slowly in 2018. 

By 2019 we could have:

CB1: Bradberry

CB2: Jones

Nickel: Worley

Yes, please.

55 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

CB is definitely the weak spot that will be attacked in all areas of the game in 2017. They were attacked a lot in 2016, but not near what they will see now.

Last season they had teams attacking Kony Ealy, Vernon Butler, and Paul Soliai on the edge. They had Tre Boston, Robert McClain, Bene Benwikere, and Kurt Coleman at SS that offenses would attack up the middle. Bradberry and Worley got their share, but the other weak points on defense got some attention off of them. Bradberry was lucky to have a weaker CB opposite him that would be attacked more often.

That changes in 2017. Teams will want to stay away from everyone on the DL now with Ealy gone and Peppers waiting on the edge. Coleman goes back to FS with Adams at SS and Captain at nickel making the middle of the field very difficult to attack around the LBs.

Bradberry and Worley will be isolated a lot in 2017. They will need to play 10x better than they did in 2016, and they need to create more turnovers and attack downfield with their tackling in the running game. If they are anything like they were in their rookie seasons, then I expect the Kony Ealy treatment for Worley with Captain moving into a starting role and the front office scrambling for some mid season vet CBs.

You are a weak spot that should have been just a wet spot.

The secondary overall vastly improved as the season moved on.  I am sure part is due to the better play by the Dline and LB getting pressure and sacks, but also was due to the CBs unit getting better.  I am ok with what we have going into the season ESP since we added Munnerlynn.  If there are ways to improve, maybe bring in another CB veteran for depth that would be good. 

I wouldn't hop of a ledge if Lattimore was taken, but it appears Gman is content with what we got. Definitely wouldn't mind a vet signing for competition as im still of the belief that Worley is a starter by attrition. I think Bradberry ascends this year though playing behind our front 7.

Without a doubt, not with our first rounder or any first rounder. 

Wouldn't mind after the first if the value is really good and they are in the mold of Bradberry, physically and mentally. 6'1" plus and 205 plus.

Those nervous about Worley need to keep in mind that he was a third round guy who was thrown to the wolves on a defense in total lack of passrush and lack of veteran leadership, all the while our entire team was in total regression dealing with a Superbowl hangover.

he has all the physical tools of a CB you'd want in our defensive scheme. Big, long, strong.

that said, I'm all for adding depth and more importantly competition to that position in any round

Many seem to believe Bradberry and Worley, who struggled in their rookie season with zero competition from veterans, are immune to a sophomore slump like many average pro players face.

As soon as vet CBs are on the roster and the 2nd year CBs see their sophomore slump, the vets will be inserted into a starting role. We all know that is what Rivera does when he can not trust a player and is afforded capable veteran starters to replace struggling second year players.

5 hours ago, juliosantos said:

Are you comfortable with our current corners ? This upcoming draft is loaded with corners probably the best i have ever seen with players like lattimore and teez tabor that can be # 1 corners . As of now i feel good about our corner situation with bradberry and captain in the slot but i still dont have enough trust in whorely as of yet . I doubt we go corner at 8 because their is too much talent but i wouldn't be against it and if a good cb falls into the 2nd im all over that .

You spelled KARNER wrong.

13 minutes ago, MV%doe said:

Funny thing about the Panthers under RR, last few years they only carried 4 total CBs. Given cap, Worley, and bradberry. Be nice to have a real good option as a top backup. Worley missed games, so did bradberry. 

I'd prefer a vet in that role.

Archived