• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carlos Henderson: Smitty 2.0

Catufb85

I know there is a thread mentioning this wide receiver but I feel like young man needs a thread of his own more than a day 2 wide receiver thread. 

2016 Statistics: 13 Games 82 rec. 1535 yards 18.7 yd/rec 19 TDs.  14 carries 133 yards 9.5 avg 2 TDs. Returning: 25 returns 805 32.2 avg 2 TDs

Carlos Henderson measurements from the NFL combine a month ago:

HT: 5'11 WT: 199 Arms: 31 3/8 Hands: 9 1/8

40: 4.46 Bench: 13 Vert: 36"

Strengths: "Drops hips into breaks for sharp stop-and-open. Maintains play speed through directional route changes. Can elevate catch focus when he knows safety is coming to deliver a blow. Flashes get-away gear used to climb over top of cornerbacks on vertical routes. Sells double moves and leaves defenders trailing. Decent job of shielding throws from traffic when working inside the numbers. Hands catcher and can dip to adjust to low throws. Extremely competitive runner after the catch. Plays bigger than his listed size. Can slip first tackle and power through the second. Downhill kick returner with ability to find lanes for himself when necessary. Posted two kick return touchdowns this season and three for his career.

I am going to throw some eye popping statistics at you for a second and then leave you with a highlight video so you can see this guy at the end. He reminds me so much of Steve Smith with his aggressiveness after the catch, players bigger than his size, and his competitiveness.

This kid is lights out in space.  I will post the site so you all can see but here are a few that stood out:  on 202 routes "in space" with the opportunity to break a tackle on 13.9% meaning this kid as wheels for separation.  He was only brought down on first contact 21.4% of the time, the lowest rate of over 40 prospects over past two seasons.  He broke 2+ tackles on 39.3% of the time which was the best by a huge margin. Corey Davis a 1st round WR prospect was 2nd at 22.6 and Corey Coleman from Baylor was 17.4 (to compare little guys)

Henderson is in the 87th percentile for 76.9 rating in Contested catch conversion ratio.  A comparison with Sterling Shepard posted a 82.8 and 91.1 rate vs press coverage and man. Shepard posted a 80.2 versus zone coverage.  Henderson posted a 92.6 press coverage rate, 90.5 rate vs zone coverage, and 78.9 rate vs man which again in the 91st percentile among WR.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-carlos-henderson-something-worth-believing/

Carlos Henderson will be one of the Day 2 steals and I pray its the Carolina Panthers who would love to welcome comparably the next Smitty 2.0

6 minutes ago, jayflip said:

I know every speedy little dude gets compared to Smitty, but I can really see it with this guy. 

Yeah, we've seen it every year.  Maybe I'm just hopeful, but I saw a guy who fights for the ball, excellent balance, shiftiness, but he's not Smitty strong nor does it look like he plays with that anger.

He's super interesting, and his game reminded me of some prime time Smith, but he's not as angry or as violent (for good or bad) as #89.  Interesting pick though.

Already somebody that wears #1 on the team - can't pick him.

In all seriousness he looks very shifty and uses his hands to catch and fend off defenders very well. My only knowledge of him is this video but it looks like he has a lot of potential.

Not a huge fan of Henderson. He seems to be getting mixed reviews. I've even seen one draft guy on twitter say he had a 1st round grade on him. 

I remember the huddle claiming another Louisiana Tech guy being Smitty 2.0 how'd that work out? Y'all really need to stop with the Smitty comparisons, it's lazy and stupid.

Having watched Smith his entire career in Carolina I can defiantly see the comparison.  With that said I think this is done every single year.  Hope the kid turns into the next Smith  ( only if he is on our team though ) but highly unlikely as Smith was one of those once in a generation type players.  

He is in line with other slot type receivers we've shown serious interest in lately.

Height Weight Arm Hand
Odell Beckham Jr. 5'11" 198 32 3/4 10   
Corey Coleman 5'11" 194 30 1/4 9   
Sterling Shepard 5'10" 194 30 3/8 9 3/4
Carlos Henderson 5'11" 199 31 3/8 9 1/8

All tested similarly athletically too.

Archived