• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is a trade up really needed?

AU-panther

I tried to get this discussion going a few weeks but the thread went in a totally different direction so I'll try again.

If we want Fournette do we need to trade up to draft him or will he make it to eight?  I'm not asking if he is worth it, or how much it would cost, or should we, but what are the chances of him making it to us?

The way I look at it:

1. Cleveland - Garrett or reach for a QB

2. San Francisco - Allen, Thomas, Adams, or reach for a QB

3.  Chicago - They have Howard who was second in the league in rushing last year.  Actually had a higher YPC than Elliot.  He was drafted in the 5th round by the way.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

4. Jags - I could see it happening here but I would put it less than 50/50.  They are consistently bad so I could see them building from inside out.  Coughlin made his mark with the Giants with a good front 4.  Everyone wants to talk about Dallas drafting Elliot but they were a pretty talented team that happened to be picking higher than normal.  Jags need a lot of help.  Also they could be in the market for a QB

5.  Tennessee - Drafted Henry last year, don't see another RB this year.

6  Jets - Kind of like the Jags, they need a lot.  Could go QB also.

7 Chargers - They have Gordon, don't see them going RB

Maybe I'm being over optimistic but the only team I really see considering Fournette is the Jags and even then I would say the chance of them not picking him is higher than actually picking him.  Maybe we are worried about another team trading up in front of us.  How many teams would be willing to do that for a RB. 

I understand why he might be top on our board, I just hope we don't have to give away assets for a player that we can draft anyway.  Seems like we might value a blue chip RB more than other teams and those other teams are using that against us.

If we traded up for him it seems more likely it would be because we feared someone else would jump us for him vs one of the current teams outside of the Jags taking him.

I like enough players at 8, I'd be comfortable waiting til our pick to take the best remaining BPA.

The Bengals are sitting at 9 and from everything I've read, want Fournette as bad as we do. I've read that the Jags fans are interested in Fournette, but I have heard nothing from the Jags themselves about picking Fournette, but if you look at the Jaguars teams needs Fournette makes a lot of sense, especially if they arent interested in giving up on Bortles just yet, which their have been rumblings that Bortles days are numbered.

If we want Fournette, IMHO we will have to Trade for him, I do not see him falling to 8 because, Cincy also wants him and knows he's our #1 so they are looking to move ahead of us at the least.

so the big question is exactly how sold are the panthers on Fournette? to quote RR "no pick is too high for a Running Back" I'd say at this point they are willing to bet the farm, or are at least considering it.

With that said, as its been stated on here before, and I used to make topics about it before the season starts, till the actual draft happens, you cant believe anything you are hearing, because every team right now are lying their collective behinds off hoping that no one gets the player they want.

In a perfect world, Fournette falls to 8. In a less perfect world, if we TRULY want him and think he's a stud, he falls to 6 or so and we trade up there to be safe, only surrendering our 3rd rounder or pick 64.

IF we trade up big to grab him...I'll be excited. Worried, but excited (depending on the price...more in a second)

To me, McCaffrey can't handle the load when Stew inevitably misses games next year...LF can and the offense doesn't miss a beat. So if we trade up for him, for simplicity sake...

The supposed big trade up rumor of our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Pick 8, pick 40, and our comp pick, 98. (We keep 64 here)...work with me here, in this truly scientific scenario. 

How would it look this year? With trade, we get LF and a Chris Godwin at 64.  Without the trade? - McCaffrey, Zay Jones, BPA at 64, Jake Butt at 98. Players drafted in similar spots of projected trade last year? Zeke Elliot and James Bradberry...give me a draft with those 2 and I'm happy. 

Both options look good to me honestly.  Obviously the more players, the better. But if Gettleman truly believes LF is special...and head and shoulders above McCaffrey or whoever we take at 8...I won't hate it if the price is right. Again, not my preferred draft, but I'll live with it. 

Fournette would make our offense better, but will split time with Stewart.  The problem is, if we trade up, we make one position better, but don't become better as a team.  Keep the picks, stay where we are or trade down with Cleveland and get a 3rd second rounder.  This lets you move back into the first round or get 5 picks in the first 100 selections of a really good draft.  That makes the team better.

12 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I tried to get this discussion going a few weeks but the thread went in a totally different direction so I'll try again.

If we want Fournette do we need to trade up to draft him or will he make it to eight?  I'm not asking if he is worth it, or how much it would cost, or should we, but what are the chances of him making it to us?

The way I look at it:

1. Cleveland - Garrett or reach for a QB

2. San Francisco - Allen, Thomas, Adams, or reach for a QB

3.  Chicago - They have Howard who was second in the league in rushing last year.  Actually had a higher YPC than Elliot.  He was drafted in the 5th round by the way.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

4. Jags - I could see it happening here but I would put it less than 50/50.  They are consistently bad so I could see them building from inside out.  Coughlin made his mark with the Giants with a good front 4.  Everyone wants to talk about Dallas drafting Elliot but they were a pretty talented team that happened to be picking higher than normal.  Jags need a lot of help.  Also they could be in the market for a QB

5.  Tennessee - Drafted Henry last year, don't see another RB this year.

6  Jets - Kind of like the Jags, they need a lot.  Could go QB also.

7 Chargers - They have Gordon, don't see them going RB

Maybe I'm being over optimistic but the only team I really see considering Fournette is the Jags and even then I would say the chance of them not picking him is higher than actually picking him.  Maybe we are worried about another team trading up in front of us.  How many teams would be willing to do that for a RB. 

I understand why he might be top on our board, I just hope we don't have to give away assets for a player that we can draft anyway.  Seems like we might value a blue chip RB more than other teams and those other teams are using that against us.

This is how it will play...

The Panthers will have a deal in place prior to the draft with the Jets.  IF the jags pass on Fournette, the panthers will swap picks with the Jets.  The Jets will get our 2nd 2nd rounder (pick 64) and we will get their 3rd round comp pick (pick 107).

We get Fournette.  Jets get Hooker or CB.  Cincy is shut out. Everyone is happy.

At this point, I don't believe a lot of what's going around the internet as far as the draft.  I think everyone in the top 10 is looking to trade down, not up.  There's A LOT of depth in this draft, I think teams would rather have more picks from this talented crop.

Trading up for us makes sense, because we don't have quite as many holes as the other top 10 teams.  Also, trading down wouldn't hurt us as well.  

I can see, based on our moves this off season to shore up as many positions as we could, that we do trade up to get Fournette, draft some other quality positions later on, and we have a great season.  Or I could also see us picking with what we have, and still having a successful draft and season.  Most of what's going to help or hurt our players and our outcomes is going to come from coaching.

Archived