• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who had the better season?: 2019 CMC vs 2005 Steve Smith

Car123

Edge to 89 only because 2005 also included another fantastic playoff performance (which isn't included in the graphic).   

In 3 postseason games that year 89 averaged 110+ receiving yards and had 5 total TDs. 

second leading receiver on the 2005 team was deshaun foster. there was no one else. 

2019 panthers were a wreck but there were still options on the outside. plus steve's season mattered. for the last eight games panthers were just juicing cmc's numbers so we'd all have a reason to watch.

Raw numbers-wise its CMC, who just had one of the most dominant seasons EVER by a RB. If you consider how the team did, Smitty, though the "force fed" argument could be used against 89 that year, too. I remember so many of us complaining that we didn't have anyone else to throw it to. 

CMC. Dude basically plays two positions for us as a great RB and a 1000 yard WR. Great years for both but I would take CMC there all day. Did you see our OL and QB play last year? CMC was literally working with nothing. At least Smith had Delhomme, Gross, Olddd Davis, Hoover and our D was better ran and had plenty of talent compared to what we all saw last year. 

I can see the argument for both sides but recency bias and the fact that only 2 other players are apart of the 1k/1k club makes mean lean towards CMC (11 people have won the triple crown). Smith had a better supporting cast. CMC was the offense last year. 

So CMC by a hair, but I see the argument for Smith. That was a fun as hell year. 

Archived