• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is the best player on the defense?

hepcat

I was just thinking to myself, what used to be such an easy question to answer for almost the last decade, is now up for debate and honestly kind of depressing.

I know it’s early in the season, but who is the best player on the Panthers defense right now?

Rasul Douglas and Stephen Weatherly were the highest graded players in Week 1 by PFF. 

So who else is a contender? Shaq Thompson? Derrick Brown? Jeremy Chinn?

37 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I was just thinking to myself, what used to be such an easy question to answer for almost the last decade, is now up for debate and honestly kind of depressing.

I know it’s early in the season, but who is the best player on the Panthers defense right now?

Rasul Douglas and Stephen Weatherly were the highest graded players in Week 1 by PFF. 

So who else is a contender? Shaq Thompson? Derrick Brown? Jeremy Chinn?

Extremely hard to say. Pay wise, it needs to be Shaq or KK. To date, Weatherly, Douglas and Chinn all looked possible.

It would be nice to see Brown be that guy.

Way too early and not looking good for the vets we have left so far. Boston, KK and Shaq have looked not good enough and the fact we have positive things to say about Chinn, Weatherly, Brown, Burns and Douglas is very concerning for the Vets with big contracts going forward. Still, it's early year bad football time compounded by a fugged preseason with new coaches that have little NFL experience. 

Brown will be by the end of the year if not very soon

I've never been a Shaq guy. He's an average starting OLB. Okay, but not what you want from a first round pick.

Honestly think we should spend our entire draft on D again next year, although I know they wouldn't

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• BELIEVE!!!

ErI0DaDWMAAFjbG.jpg

• Topics

• I think generally you look at positional value by looking at historical draft positions and also what positions are generally the highest paid/most sought after every year. However, there are sometimes freak players at positions of lower value that sort of demand a move up the normal board or as a team you might want to lock in an elite player at a position of lower value because it is a big need for your team.  IMO, without taking into account elite players in positions of lower value or team needs: Top Tier: QB, LT, Elite Pass Rushers(DE, EDGE, Elite DT's) - These guys have higher value due to their direct impact on the passing game which is really critical in the modern NFL. Second Tier: Elite WR's, Elite CB's, Elite Pass Catching TE's - I make a distinction in these "Elite" skill position players because they can be absolute game changers in the pass game. Either able to effectively neutralize an elite pass catcher or able to consistently provide mismatches in the passing game.  Third Tier: Interior OL, RT's, RB's, non-pass rushing LB's, S's - These guys are typically able to be drafted outside the first round and still make significant impacts on your roster. For IOL/RT, there is typically a larger pool of elite interior guys or plenty of good college LT's that can be effective RT's in the NFL. RB's and LB's are typically somewhat plentiful but also have shorter careers than the average prospect. Safety's are another position with typically a deep pool that can extend past the first 2 rounds. Fourth Tier: TE, K, P, FB. All of these positions can be obtained relatively easily in the middle to late rounds of the draft to find effective players. In general, these guys are relatively devalued in the modern NFL.
    • Manziel was a knucklehead on field too.
    • Drew Brees is retiring. Unless he isn’t. Fitness trainer Todd Durkin recently posted a video on Instagram that shows Brees pushing a weighted sled while Durkin utters a string of superlatives: “What is he doing? . . . Drew, what are you doing? OK, he’s never done that! . . . Don’t know what he’s doing. . . . I’m not sure what he’s doing. Never quite been done before! . . . That’s a new record because it’s never been done before!” At one point, these words appear over the video: “Not sure WHY he’s so cra-cra today but something must be brewing.” The video has surfaced at a time when Brees has not yet retired, and when more and more people are wondering whether he will. After witnessing Tom Brady‘s Buccaneers (a team the Saints swept in the regular season) win the Super Bowl, Brees may be thinking about continuing his career for at least one more year. Regardless, Brees is working out not like someone who’s generally committed to a healthy lifestyle but like someone who is training for something. Something that, as Durkin noted on his video, “must be brewing.” https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/27/trainer-posts-drew-brees-workout-video-suggests-something-must-be-brewing/