• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All of you were right about Cam

AceBoogie

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Cam had always had an incredible work ethic and been a great teammate from every reliable source we have.  And that's now from two organizations.

The laziness trope fits a disturbing racist stereotype. To the few posters that actually think Can may have been lazy, step back and ask why you think that.  What did he do to deserve that? "Relying on his athleticism" isn't an explanation for a belief in laziness.

This is why you see posters here go to great lengths to defend Cam even when some play of his should not have been defended. 

we have posters in this very thread questioning his work ethic, his mental ability, etc. this has been happening since he was drafted here including the “fake smile” bs. These are long time posters that Igo and mods will not ban. It’s disgusting. 

as for Cam, I watched a couple of clips and his shoulder does seem fuged. That Seattle game maybe the last great Cam game we will be able to watch and I’m glad I saw it.  But he also just had covid and that Patriots team has had a difficult time being in the building for meetings and practice because of positive tests.

Some posters seem gleeful about this and those are disgusting human beings.  Others like myself, wanted to keep Cam on the last year of his deal, see what he has and move on if need be. While at the same time rebuild/reload. It was worth the risk to myself and others to see if he was still a franchise qb and killed two birds with one stone. If his arm is shot, we lose games helping with draft position to secure our next qb or elite prospect. This franchise chose another route. To be fair I haven’t watched his last two games because I’ve been so into what the Panthers are doing here with this coaching staff so that bodes well for our future.

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

Sad to see but I agree it does look like he's shot. I feel like this was around the point of the season he'd start falling apart on us. Hate it for him because you can still see flashes of prime Cam, but the hill has just gotten too steep.

This has been implied heavily for years with all of the talk of him being a poor decision maker and relying on his athleticism over his brain.

I don't think that making poor decisions is necessarily indicative of laziness. I think it speaks more to the pressure of being in the moment, habit and/or muscle memory.

2 hours ago, X-Clown said:

He looked like 2015 Cam in the Seattle game. Yesterday, he looked like the Cam from the Tampa game in 2019. Something seems to have happened between those two games.

Last two weeks they have played top 10 defenses.  

That exposes how little talent NE actually has on offense. 

17 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

I, Aceboogie, the last member of the Cam Newton bandwagon reluctantly exit the wagon today. He’s done and we ruined him. Kudos to the Panthers for getting it right and not compounding the issue. He could have been one of the greats but ran into Marty, Ron, and Dave. The three men who did what many defenses couldn’t. 

I now have a lot more optimism for this franchise going forward. Even with the loss today, our outlook is good and it started with moving on from Cam. 

Couldn't have really said it much better. I was not a fan of moving on from Cam for Teddy, but in retrospect it appears to have been the better decision. Sad how quickly that staff broke down multiple generational talents. fug Mike Shula. 

Cam just looks broken. He was never an accurate passer but he was never as bad as he was yesterday with the exception of last year in the Bucs game after he reinjured his foot. He is also hurt from not being a good anticipatory passer and moving into an offense which requires anticipation throws on nearly every pass.

He is still a good runner but he is a far cry from from his prime running ability. He has lost a bit of speed and quickness which can be attributed to age and the injuries piling up.

He had the zip on his throws against Seattle and looked great, but that hasn’t shown up since. Yesterday he was floating balls again. I wonder if unleashing his arm against the Seahawks hurt his shoulder again.

Cams game was built on athleticism. He could run you over or zip a ball in so quick he did not have to anticipate on the throw.. Now his body has begun braking down, he is slimmer than he was before and does not have the same running power. His shoulder is also done and he can no longer rely on it to compensate for his lack of timing. 

Despite the awful path his career has taken lately, I’m grateful for Cam and all he has done, for the team and city of Charlotte, but most of all for people and children, Cam is a great person and I wish him all the best. Much like Jake before him, he was always good for extreme highs and low lows that make football truly electric 

I see a different source of the “laziness” observation than some.  People confuse the lack of development in things like his footwork and throwing mechanics with laziness.  But, the other side of that is exactly who on the coaching staff was going to work with him on that?  Somebody on Shula’s staff?  Cam could have been (not saying he was) a perfect example of how not to throw a forward pass, but as long as he was winning, Shula and company were not going to change a thing.  Even if it meant extending his career, because they were more worried about their own immediate careers.

So, the laziness was by the coaching staff, which should not be news to anybody.  News flash: Shula and company were not the first coaching staff too dependent on a player’s performance as-is to try and improve any aspect of it, other than may be in casual conversation (one day we need to work on that).  It may be one of the reasons that promising young QBs fail so often, especially those drafted early by habitual doormats. 

There were reports that Norv and company did work with Cam on his mechanics and he was all-in.  But by then, the effect of the injuries was setting in.  It is very difficult to develop and retain “muscle memory” of how you should do things, when you are fighting the “muscle memory” of not only how you have always done them, but how you started doing them to protect an injury.

My main concern for him coming into this season was not how his shoulder was going to look in the first few weeks of the season.  If that was the problem, New England would not have kept him on the roster after a few days of throwing.  Cam would have recognized that, himself.  The question was always would it hold up beyond a few games.

I don’t know if it is the end of the line for Cam or not.  I don’t see enough of the Pats, and I have to defer to Ace’s observations, since he has seen far more than me.  But regardless, this is far too familiar and looks too much like what we have seen the last couple of seasons to not get a sinking feeling for Cam.  I wish him all the best.  And if this is the end of the line, I hope he has the perspective to walk away with the knowledge he gave it his all, and find something else he can devote his time and energy to.  I think he already has that in his arsenal. 

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I have been vocal about some of cam's faults, but the thought of him being lazy had never crossed my mind. Cannot agree. 

Lazy is a little harsh, I wouldn't go that far it seemed more of a situation were a super talented player didn't adapt when some of his gifts faded... He never got his mechanically consistent.

Archived