• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

did hurney torpedo himself with teddy bridgewater?

PhillyB

3 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Some of the comments by (Rapoport Tweeted) Tepper make it seem Hurney and Rhule weren’t on the same page and Hurney may have had more control then we thought. 

#Panthers owner David Tepper: "You look at successful organizations, and there's a certain alignment between the head coach and the GM. To think that you can do that without some sort of alignment is nuts. So to not have a head coach with some input into that is stupid."

Team is being built around Rhule so that's would be no bueno. 

25 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

The more I think about it, I bet this is happening mostly because Tep sees 4-5 other GM openings and he doesn’t want to miss out on his guy, especially with him having the deepest pockets in the league. 

that and Hurney is awful and Teddy is an amazing backup 

After last weekend, many names are gonna start floating around.  Timing is as you say, we want to have the firing out of the way, and get the right guys lined up.  Everyone knows that Tepper pays well

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Little reeks of one of Hurney's wild hairs where scouts are screaming one thing but Marty thinks he's outsmarting everyone.

Indeed. We have had a lot of speculation on the Huddle about what was what with the power dynamic when Rhule showed up. I'm guessing they liked the moves after Rhules people came on last offseason and not what Hurney did pre-Rhule and before he got up to speed. Just a guess but I'm itching to find out.

This has nothing to do with Bridgewater but was based on the fact that Hurney's contract was up this summer and if Tepper waited he may not get who he wants. Marty wasn't the long term answer and everyone knew it.  This gives Tepper the ability to.pursue anyone and Hurney to apply for other jobs if he still wants to be a GM.

I'm guessing it's not so linear.  No matter who wanted Bridgewater the most, Hurney signed off on the deal, or did very little to offer up alternative options.  Bridgewater's lackluster performance also puts a spotlight on our backup situation, showcasing the Grier pick.  Then top it off with the amount of dead cap space, holding back further options.  So whether Hurney was the main driver behind Bridgewater, he set up a ride or die situation that shouldn't happen.

Archived