• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers expected to be in the mix for Watson.

1 minute ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Texans get:

- #8 pick this year 

- this year's 3rd round pick 

- next years 1st round pick 

- WR DJ Moore

- CB Donte Jackson 

Thoughts? 

Not a fan of including Moore in that deal.  I'd rather just give up another 1st round pick.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

They know who they are. 

@LinvilleGorge with all due respect fug your warning. I’ve set in many of Panthers games with racist ass fans. If we’re going to be honest let’s be honest. Deshaun and Cam are close and don’t think he’s coming here without Cam telling him it’s ok to do so. That I can 100% guarantee you. 

LOL

Hurrrrrr Durrrrrr

aLl tHE FaNs iN tHe SoUFF aRE WaYCISts!

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Texans get:

- #8 pick this year 

- WR DJ Moore

- CB Donte Jackson 

Thoughts? 

Both DJ Moore and Donte Jackson are young and are on cheap contracts. Texans need CB's and a #1 WR to replace DeAndre Hopkins. This is the kind of package that could possibly make the Texans consider trading Watson to the Panthers. 

There is no other move in franchise history that would move the needle from a marketing standpoint more than trading for Watson.  Hell, from a business perspective, Tepper could probably justify it regardless of what happens on the field.

But the goal is to win games, and the chance to get a top 5 QB in his mid-20's comes along basically never.

I am not one to typically want to give away the farm, but this is the one instance where I would be 100% onboard.

And for Watson, there will be multiple desirable destinations.  Miami is still the favorite IMO.

But Carolina has 3 main selling points:

1) It's the NFC.  Watson stands a better chance to stand out year-in and year-out over the next 5 years at least not having to compete with Mahomes, Lamar, Josh Allen, Herbert, etc. who constitute the young studs in the AFC.  The old-guard QB's in the NFC are fading fast.

2) Watson is already beloved in the Carolinas.  Watson would bring the energy we have been missing post-Cam, and the fans and stadium will be rocking to support him.

3) The NFC South looks way less daunting than it did a few years ago.  The AFC South is looking to be a really tough division over the next few years.  The AFC East is still appealing (hence Miami), but I still think when considering the long-term landscape Watson would strongly consider Carolina.

Regardless of what happens, this is the kind of opportunity that rarely if ever comes along.

I can't say for certain if trading for Watson is the best move long-term.  Only time will tell.

But in the short-term, absolutely nothing can return the Panthers to relevance moreso than being bold and trading for Deshaun Watson.

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

They know who they are. 

@LinvilleGorge with all due respect fug your warning. I’ve set in many of Panthers games with racist ass fans. If we’re going to be honest let’s be honest. Deshaun and Cam are close and don’t think he’s coming here without Cam telling him it’s ok to do so. That I can 100% guarantee you. 

:eyeroll:

9 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Texans get:

- #8 pick this year 

- WR DJ Moore

- CB Donte Jackson 

Thoughts? 

I don't' think it is enough.  I think other teams can offer more.  Also it doesn't give them a QB, which I would think would sweeten a deal more.

What if the Jets would offer their 1st this year and the next two years.  I could see the Jets willing to do that and its a lot better deal than ours.  The Jets 1st this year is basically equal to three 1st from us.  Honestly it would take more than that for us to trade up to #2.

People need to realize that our #8 pick doesn't hold anywhere close to the same value as the Jets #2 or Dolphins #3.

Not only do we have to make an offer that the Texan's like it has to be better than other teams.  I'm thinking a starting point would be three 1st, two seconds, and a really good player on a good contract so either Brown or Burns.  I'm not sure CMC even gets it done because some GMs aren't fans of RBs on big contracts regardless of who the RB is.

• Beer 1

I don't get this idea that Watson wouldn't want to come here because of Cam...  I wish his release could have been better, but let's not forget that Cam complicated the situation tremendously by pushing back surgery, etc.  His side was notoriously bad about communicating with the team.

And I don't completely blame him due to the way Rivera handled his injuries, but still

And everything with Covid didn't help.

I love Cam, but Cam did not get screwed the way some want to make out.  Cam wanted more of a commitment than the team was willing to make given his injury history.  Simple as that.

Cam's side pushed things to a head as much as anyone.

Trying to compare that to the dysfunction of the Texans (and latent racism by their owner) is simply lazy and untrue.

Watson will probably not end up here.  But it won't have anything to do with Cam.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

I don't' think it is enough.  I think other teams can offer more.  Also it doesn't give them a QB, which I would think would sweeten a deal more.

What if the Jets would offer their 1st this year and the next two years.  I could see the Jets willing to do that and its a lot better deal than ours.  The Jets 1st this year is basically equal to three 1st from us.  Honestly it would take more than that for us to trade up to #2.

People need to realize that our #8 pick doesn't hold anywhere close to the same value as the Jets #2 or Dolphins #3.

Not only do we have to make an offer that the Texan's like it has to be better than other teams.  I'm thinking a starting point would be three 1st, two seconds, and a really good player on a good contract so either Brown or Burns.  I'm not sure CMC even gets it done because some GMs aren't fans of RBs on big contracts regardless of who the RB is.

The only thing we have to offer is the chance to move to what I think will be an easier NFC over the next 5 or so years.  But to the extent the Texans will be able to control this process, I think that will be important.

This is not good for the Texans franchise regardless.   But Texans fans watching Watson on another AFC team may not be palatable for the Texans.

We can only hope and make the best offer we can

31 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

so if he sits out they are fuged?  Why?  If they let him go for nothing they are also fuged.  They were terrible with him last year, if they trade him they are probably going to still be terrible for the short term.  Its not like they were expecting to win the Super Bowl this year.

I don't think it hurts the Texan's reputation to wait at all.  Their reputation is all ready garbage.  If anything if they let him go for nothing they will just be made fun of more.  If anything Watson is the one that might start to take a reputation hit, once the season rolls around and his teammates are out there playing and he is refusing to play some fans and media will start to turn on Watson.

He could sit out all year and teams would still trade for him next offseason.

Speaking of the draft there is a chance they don't trade him until the draft happens, if you trade before yo don't know how the picks are going to go. They might love Fields, and not Wilson, so they might not be willing to trade with Miami until they know Fields will be available at that pick.  Same with Atlanta.  There is a very good chance this could turn into a draft night trade.

If they like Garoppolo then doing something before the draft make more sense, trading with the Jets would be more likely before the draft, because everyone pretty much agrees who is going first.  A lot of people like to act like QB2 and QB3 are interchangeable but in reality a lot of teams will probably convince themselves they like one of them a lot more than the other.

Waiting to trade him does nothing but hurt the Texans. Sure they can try to play hardball with Watson and call his bluff or try to mend fences, but there’s no real incentive to doing that if Watson won’t play ball and just wants out 100%. They just hurt themselves to spite Watson which makes no sense for them. 

It has nothing to do with the Texans’ reputation, it has to do with what they would get in return for a trade. In the NFL assets that are further out in the future hold less value, so if they delay past this current draft there is a value decline there. Then also, to your point, Watson’s reputation and value takes a hit the longer he goes without playing. Yes teams will still definitely want him even if he sits out a full year, but it will absolutely harm his market value. Watson coming off an MVP caliber year in 2020 is worth much more than Watson who hasn’t played in nearly 2 years (which is what it would be if he sits out all of 2021). And in addition, this draft is going to produce 3-4 highly drafted QBs that will take 3-4 teams out of the market for Watson (and also prevent Houston from replacing Watson with 1 of them in this stacked class). All of this would lead to them getting less for Watson if they wait. 

I agree that it’s possible he may not be traded until draft day, but if he is 100% adamant on wanting out, then he’ll be traded by the end of day 1 of the draft. Not any time after that.

17 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Both DJ Moore and Donte Jackson are young and are on cheap contracts. Texans need CB's and a #1 WR to replace DeAndre Hopkins. This is the kind of package that could possibly make the Texans consider trading Watson to the Panthers. 

Robby not DJ