• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers would love to try and pry away Matthew Stafford

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

stafford would've gotten the 2020 panthers a playoff spot.

take the 2020 panthers, add stafford, a bevy of high draft picks, some key free agent grabs, and a weakened division and the stage is set for us to run this poo in 2021.

Man that would’ve been awesome we would’ve broke a lot of records for the first team to make it with such low ranking and stats in other areas

especially without a HOF QB

• Poo 1

There will be suitors for Stafford---not sure we want to get into a bidding war.

And I hate to be so negative about someone trying to do his job, but Person seems to speculate a lot.  Not someone I see with a lot of inside knowledge, and I have shared (before) how he was viewed at the Observer.  While I think this should be a thread because it is out there, I question the source.

vintage 80s GIF

• Beer 2

Stafford is solid, but I don't see him being worth a 1st.  And again, he's a definite, significant upgrade and a legit top 10 QB when clicking on all cylinders, which I feel he very well could here in this offense...  but I won't be nearly as excited with him as a I would Watson.  I would definitely expect us to be a playoff team, at minimum, but I hope we get Watson.

9 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Stafford is being underrated by many here. Dude is a good QB that has been on a toothless Lions team. His “injury prone stuff” didn’t start till this year with his shitty oline. He was out with acl and stuff his first two years but after that dude went on to play every game for like 9 years straight.

“Stafford has been on the gameday injury report for the following body parts during his career, according to pro-football-reference.com: hip (10), shoulder (8), knee (7.5 times), thumb (4), back (3), ribs (3), finger (2.5), ankle (2), groin (1), quadricep (1), arm (1), hand (1), foot (1),

That's 13 body parts for a total of 44 games, or 22.9% of all the games he could have played in.

That's a lot.”

yes he plays through a lot of these but his level of play suffers. He is extremely injury prone. 

5 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Stafford is being underrated by many here. Dude is a good QB that has been on a toothless Lions team. His “injury prone stuff” didn’t start till this year with his shitty oline. He was out with acl and stuff his first two years but after that dude went on to play every game for like 9 years straight.

I like Stafford but for the right price. Giving up 3 first rounders for a 25 year old Watson a top 5 QB for the next 10 years is worth it IMO. Stafford is a great QB but at 32 years old coming off a injured plagued season. With so many holes we need to fill. We will have 2 years max to build a competitive roster, that’s  going to be able to compete for the division title before Stafford prime come to a end.

24 minutes ago, t96 said:

No fuging chance I'd give up next year's 1st for Stafford. Maybe our 2nd rounders this year and next year if they also take Teddy.

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

Stafford is solid, but I don't see him being worth a 1st.  And again, he's a definite, significant upgrade and a legit top 10 QB when clicking on all cylinders, which I feel he very well could here in this offense...  but I won't be nearly as excited with him as a I would Watson.  I would definitely expect us to be a playoff team, at minimum, but I hope we get Watson.

You have to look at what other teams would give when you are trying to figure out what it would take you to trade for him.

There are teams later in the 1st round that would happily give up a first.  For a good team, just needing a QB such as Indy, what helps you more? using your first on Stafford or Trask or Jones

So if Indy or the Pats would trade their 1st what would we have to trade to move ahead of that?  Our first?  that would probably work but honestly that might be too much, so you offer next years first.  Why would they take next years first over a current years first from another team?  That is why you have to throw in the second this year.

I'm not saying we should give up that much, but it makes sense that it would take that much when you look at it logically.

• Pie 1

Folks, Stafford is a starting NFL QB who would be worth a first rounder--heck, we are going to use the first rounder on a QB if we do not get him.

We know we can get 3 or 4 years out of Stafford; based on the fact that he has not been hit as much.  Get Stafford, draft a LT and a TE, and sign a G in free agency--I think that could be instant success.

Stafford/Bridgewater/PJ is a good group.  Draft a QB in 2022 or 2023.  Worth a first rounder.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1