• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is 3 first rounders too much?

ericr0319

Is 3 first rounders too much for Watson? Building through the draft is key because you keep high salaries off the books. 

No top picks forces you to overpay in FA - see LA Rams. Yes, they went to a Super Bowl but they lost. The Eagles went and won. Both paid high prices to get their QB, but they paid the price and are in cap hell. 

• Pie 1

The way I see it...say you spend a 1st on an unknown QB through the draft. Could work out, could not. Your next two drafts could net you a bust, and a solid starter. That’s three 1st round picks. 

Or, you have a sure fire bonafide QB at the age of 25, which would make you an automatic contender. 

I say pick Watson for the three picks. 

• Beer 5
  • Poo 3

Will the Texans even take our 3 1s if the Jets offer 3 1s and Darnold or 4 1s  and Darnold?

Also it may take 3 1s to get Fields or Lance this draft.  We have to Jump the Lions, and theyll have a Stafford 1 and 2022 1 to make sure they get their QB

Edited by ncfan
  • Beer 1

Sure, if you want to tie up all the salary cap money you have on one player (Watson) as well as three (likely top ten) draft picks over the next few years then absolutely.

Then you won’t have any money to pay anyone to stay past a rookie contract, Watson will take a Cam Newton like beating, and the team will suck for years to come.

Sounds like a solid plan.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, KBRed said:

The way I see it...say you spend a 1st on an unknown QB through the draft. Could work out, could not. Your next two drafts could net you a bust, and a solid starter. That’s three 1st round picks. 

Or, you have a sure fire bonafide QB at the age of 25, which would make you an automatic contender. 

I say pick Watson for the three picks. 

I see it the same way.

QB purgatory is real and can last DECADES.

What would you pay to avoid that?

We could use our 1st this year on a guy who is more likely to bust than not.

Next year we will prob use our 1st and maybe give up a future first to trade up for another rookie QB who could also bust.

3 firsts is not a crazy price given that we know Watson is an elite QB.

I honestly see Carolina spending 3-4 first round picks over the next 5-7 years trying to find someone like Watson. 

Even after spending that kind of capital, it’s still a low chance we’ll find someone like that.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes, first round picks can bust, but if your team is so bad at drafting that they pick three or four busts straight, you've got deeper problems than any one player (including a star quarterback) can solve.

All it takes is trading up twice to have sunk 3-4 first rounders into a QB.