• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stafford-Goff swap is happening

Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I wanted stafford, but I will say, We're gonna find out REAL quick if McVay is the genius everyone made him out to be.  Jared goff for his faults has been between 4000 and 4500 yards per season the last 4 years and has a 2:1 TD/INT ratio.  he clearly was on pace to be a franchise QB and the rams have been kind of a dumpster fire, so I absolutely could see them having fuged this up too.

I wish we were that kind of dumpster fire.

3 hours ago, onmyown said:

Isn’t Goffs and Staffords guaranteed money about the same for the remainder?

That’s what you have to compare it to and in doing so it looks to be Rams got a slight, short term upgrade for way too much capital. Also looks like Goff could’ve been cut in 2022 without much significance.

Then you have to figure Rams are going to extend Stafford...

Maybe someone knows about contract number can chime in and break it down @stbugs. I’m trying to see an upside for the Rams other than they now have a QB who can make NFL passes.

Stafford is owed $20 mil in 2021 and $23 mil in 2022.

Goff is owed $28.1 mil in 2021, $26.1 mil in 2022, $25.6 mil in 2023 and $26.6 mil in 2024. 

Cutting him in 2022 would have still resulted in roughly $10 mil in dead cap over two years(same amount of dead cap they will owe for those years now). 

The cap savings per year are significant. $12.75 mil, $17.55 mil, $23.85 mil, $26.65 mil. Some/all of that will obviously go to Stafford.

It is potentially a huge boost for a franchise that seemed basically a QB away from a Super Bowl. They don't have a long window before some of these young guys are gonna need big deals. It's a team built to win now and they are taking their shot. I like the move.

• Pie 2

Folks, if you compare the players and picks, yes--Detroit robbed the Rams--but do not discount the value of getting out of that dumb contract with Goff and Getting Stafford on board for 4-5 years.

I wonder how much the success of Indy and Tampa Bay played into this?  Brady is 10 years older than Stafford.  Rivers was about 5 years older.

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I could now see the Lions trading back with another team looking for a QB and picking up even more draft picks to rebuild their sad team.

I wouldn't hold my breathe yet.

Many National people and Most Lions people still say Lions would take QB at 7 if one of those top 4 were available.

I don't think they'll be aggressive to move Up.  But if one is at 7 im still getting the feeling they pull the trigger.  Lions people are saying the ideal scenario for them is to take Lance at 7 to sit behind Goff a year or 2 until they can move off his contract. 

Also, lol at the people who called me crazy here when I said Stafford would go for a 1st.

Edited by ncfan
  • Beer 1

Time to be out of the QB trade market .. that is bonkers .. Stafford is good but I don’t think this is a good move for rams... yes I’ve heard about the small window they have to win (rams)..  and I know Stafford got an arm ... but stay away from the QB trade market.... the fact they have to eat goff contract (the dead money part of it) give up 2 future 1st and 3rd is terrible move that will set that franchise back for years.. they better hope Stafford wins them somethen.. there window is 2-4 years max to be a contender with a small chance to win it all.. terrible move from rams.. 

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope this takes the Lions out of the running for a QB but I'm not at all sure that it does.

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person pointed out that even if it does, they're in a very good position to trade back if someone else wanted to move into that spot and take a quarterback.

As long as there are spots above us and QB-needy teams, the danger of someone trading up to jump us is very real.

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If Stafford went for a package like this, the Texans will be in position to demand a deal that involves numerous first round picks, your firstborn and your immortal soul. And that's if they even agree to trade him (which I'm not convinced they will).

There's no way I can see us making that deal now.

You have to figure the Texans, if entertaining a trade at all, were already asking far more than what the Rams gave up for Stafford, thus the Stafford trade happening at all.  If Watson could have been had for this package, it would be him instead of Stafford already.  Stafford was probably a fallback position for the Rams.

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Of the seven teams that were listed earlier as still pursuing Stafford, the only one that had a top 10 pick was us.

Yeah, we offered #8.

It would be interesting to see what the deal would have looked like. I just don't think it would have been #8 straight up for Stafford. If for some reason it was 8 straight up, then the Lions are dumb for not taking it. The 8th pick this year is more valuable than what they got from the Rams.