• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watched film of all the top QBs: Zach Wilson screams Mitch Trubisky but Trey Lance has some Mahomes vibes

hepcat

5 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I am 100% not trying to down play Lance. I just think things are completely out of whack because people are QB crazy right now. Wentz is a good example of how he could go high in contrast to my previous statements. He wasn't all that impressive at NDSU but at least he was able to be vetted in person. 

I wouldn't completely hate Lance at 8 but would be much happier if he was to be available at a much more realistic pick that we trade down to.

It think Lance is a classic boom or bust guy. He is, IMO, the highest ceiling QB in the draft. Also the rawest prospect.

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Wilson to me is someone where if he falls to us then take him. But don’t trade up for him. 

The one beef I would have with the Turbisky comp is that Wilson looks significantly more accurate than Turbisky ever was. Turbisky ran a bunch of dink and dunk easy stuff in Fedora’s offense with the occasional lob downfield set up off all the action. His best completion % was 68%.

Wilson runs a downfield offense with a bunch of intermediate and downfield routes. His percentage was an insane 74%. He basically threw for the same amount of yards as MT with 100 fewer attempts. That’s an INSANE STAT. 

Exactly. From college to the NFL Trubisky has been short gamer. He's one of the few who has consistently been statistically less aggressive than even Teddy the whole way. Yet people who hate Teddy for that yet say they would take Trubisky (Tar Heel fans) don't want to accept that fact.

Edited by Moo Daeng

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

What about his playstyle is even remotely similar to Manziel? Johnny football did not play within the structure of the offense. It was one read, scramble, chuck it up to Evans to bail him out. 

He didn't make reads. He didn't make progressions. He didn't throw guys open. He ran around until he got free or chucked it up for someone to bail him out. 

Wilson actually makes progressions. Wilson throws with anticipation. Wilson actually watches film and studies the game (so say his coaches and others within BYU). Wilson's runs are generally speaking designed runs for him in their offense. Watching all of his throws across many games, not just the highlights, shows that he can manipulate the secondary with his eyes and can read defenses. 

I don't necessarily think he'll be ready right out of the gate, but I do believe that he has the ability to be a great QB in the NFL. 

As for the character stuff, I have only seen those things reported on Walter Football and nowhere else. I'm not saying it's not true, I just have not heard those or similar rumors about him anywhere else. They also contradict themselves when they say he's not a leader but his teammates will play for him. So again, not saying it's not true, and I've been on the lookout for more of those rumblings, but I have not seen any more. There were WAY more off field concerns with Manziel out of college and they weren't all drug related. 

He didn't watch Manziel or Wilson.

He's sh-tposting.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Zod said:

I will feel sorry for Lance if he is drafted. This fan base will expect Cam-like play right off the bat. They don't have much in common. 

I think we've got some folks on here who are so desperate to have Newton back that they'll latch onto any decently athletic quarterback and project Cam's image onto him. "Oh, he can run? It's like Cam all over again." Heck, I even had somebody try and tell me the style of offense we use needs a running quarterback (not even remotely true).

Honestly, I'm not sure people remember or understand just how much of an athletic marvel Newton really was. That size-speed combination is not exactly a common thing, and definitely not among quarterbacks.

Folks need to realize we're not getting Cam Newton back. Hell, the next QB we get might have a style of play completely dissimilar to Newton.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Honestly, I'm not sure people remember or understand just how much of an athletic marvel Newton really was. That size-speed combination is not exactly a common thing, and definitely not among quarterbacks.

Yeah, Cam was in a league of his own physically and as a runner - especially in short yardage and red zone situations. The guy's rushing TD numbers for a QB may never be broken. He has more rushing TDs than great RBs like Eddie George, Stephen Davis, Willis McGahee, Larry Csonka, Thurman Thomas, O.J. Simpson, Herschel Walker, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis, etc.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Pup McBarky said:

Bingo. I'd wager this accounts for 80% of the Lance fandom. Maybe 90%.

Eh maybe. I’ve been watching a lot of scouting reports and breakdowns of his play as a passer more than a runner. Because I don’t think he’s gonna be able to run wild quite like he did in college. Also Ill admit I’m biased because Lance is a Midwest guy and I live in the Midwest. 

the thing is trey should probably be a late 1st/2nd round pick just based on his rawness and lack of reps but so many teams are so desperate for a qb you have to snag him when you can for fear he’ll be taken before you can get him. That’s why I’m ok with him at 8. I get you can call this a reach but it doesn’t matter if he works out. And if he goes to the right team and is given patience I think he’ll be worth the top 10 selection. Draft is a crapshoot. If we think he’s the guy, get him.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Pup McBarky said:

Bingo. I'd wager this accounts for 80% of the Lance fandom. Maybe 90%.

I became more disappointed in Cam as time went on because I didn't see the growth and development that (at the time) I thought that he was capable of. Notwithstanding the injuries, it became clearer to me over time that he had already hit his ceiling, and that his mechanics just weren't going to appreciably improve, and neither was his decision making or touch on intermediate throws. Sure, Rivera and company didn't help by running him silly, but running from the QB position should always be a secondary thing at the pro level, because a kid can get seriously hurt out there. 

I could be wrong, but I think that Lance is naturally a better passer and has more arm talent than Cam. And, just as important, I think he is probably a better decision maker. So, I really don't see the on-point comparison. 

3 minutes ago, SOJA said:

great post OP only thing I would disagree on is the mitch comp. Mitch never wowed me, some of Wilson's throws wow me

I love the Lance bit, I think he has the highest ceiling out of anyone not named Lawrence 

Lance has a higher ceiling than even Lawrence. All he needs is development and experience.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2