• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Rumor

Troys99x4

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Could be they are testing him. Something like "Could you take a pay cut? Other wise we are looking to trade/cut you.." Egos are huge in the NFL and Rhule spoke highly of Shaq. May hurt to hear you maybe cut or need to take a pay cut. Post June 1 cut looks like the panthers could have the control. Honestly I dont know.

Could be this is our our year. I don’t think he’d have any issue in free agency. He’s not as bad as everyone thinks. we were just spoiled with some of the greatest linebackers in the modern game. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

The thing here is that SF would have zero incentive to do this. They can cut JG with no cap hit - why offload him for such a crappy contract?

That said it would be a coup for the Panthers. Jimmy is zero upgrade from Teddy but will get hurt anyway, so this would basically be a contract swap that greatly benefits Carolina.

Jimmy is way better than Teddy even tho Jimmy isn't elite.

31 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Maybe he is just getting released.  Is he worth $10m a year?  Can you replace his production for less than that?  Remember he has the 5th highest salary of LBs this year.

2021 Linebacker Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

I mean, it's not out of the question. I just assume that if he was being released it would've been at the same time as our other house cleaning moves.

My theory with Hurney--he had an inferiority complex about the Panthers--maybe he felt that a small market team would not be as attractive for free agents so he had to overpay.  I remember when Charles Johnson (coming off his only good season) was a free agent and only Atlanta had a need for a DE enough to compete with the Panthers--they were strapped.  CJ got a deal about $20m more than was necessary.  When they interviewed CJ, he laughed about it.  I will never forget it.  Then I saw DWilliams and Stewart get big deals, I saw him pay Delhomme after Tommy John Surgery twice what anyone else might have paid him--then cut him soon afterwards, and I saw him give Charles Godfrey a sweet deal--then let Julius Peppers walk (probably because he was fed up).  Hurney has always rewarded his picks, and he has always overpaid certain positions.  THAT is why we never had much at DT or OL--he could sign street free agents to play there. DBs?  Not his area either.  QB?  After Cam, nothing much.  So glad to see him gone.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Well cut my legs off and call me shorty! At the very least with no football going on at the moment. Finally a interesting off season. So this is how the other guys lived in the front offices... We finally have people to do something/anything! Makes life interesting to say the least!!! 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I fully expect Shaq to be gone by next season, as well as Ian Thomas. If we're lucky, Teddy.

I think that depends on how free agency and the draft goes. Shaq is in line to get cut at some point based on that salary but he is also the only real starting caliber NFL LB on our roster(Chinn is destined for safety). If we can't replace him this offseason, it doesn't hurt us to keep him around for one more season until we can replace him. 

We can't cut all the overpaid players at once and very easily replace them. 

Edited by kungfoodude

40 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Could be this is our our year. I don’t think he’d have any issue in free agency. He’s not as bad as everyone thinks. we were just spoiled with some of the greatest linebackers in the modern game. 

Its a lean year, the option of taking a pay cut or free agency....Well agents call around and get reference points. Then you either take the cut or cuss out the team will a new contract waiting...