• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandt needs to give more on QB prospects

top dawg

I get both arguments. Jones, IMO, is going to be a good NFL QB. 

What I will argue is athleticism.  While he may not be the next coming of Mahomes or Watson he is athletic.  You don't play for the one of the best college programs in the country because you can throw the ball.   J. Russell was athletic but had the brain of a pee.  Winston was super athletic but was a poor decision maker.   

I went back and looked at the last 20 years of Super Bowl winners and the Majority were pocket passers.  Some with a more mobility than others.  Mahomes, Wilson and Wentz being the most mobile with Rodgers a cross breed of both.   The Mannings, Brady, Flacco, Big Ben and the others were not very mobile but good pocket presence plus most of them had a great defense.

I will say that if they choose Jones than the offensive line needs to be top tier.  I think that is the one advantage a mobile QB can get away with more than a pocket passer.  I'd say above average line or better. 

Someone said earlier or in another thread.  Free Agency will tell the tale of which way we go.  If we are building a solid line with Vets than don't be surprised if we go for Jones. 

I've read where Jones is quite intelligent and Tua said he was the 2nd coming of Brady.  Brady reads a defense as well as any that have played.  Most of the times he knew where he was throwing the ball before the snap.   Go through the motions of keeping the safeties honest and throw to your read.   If Jones learns to read a defense well.  Who knows his ceiling. 

I'm going to let Rhule and Co. figure that out.  This has been the craziest offseason for QBs as I can ever remember and I've been a huge NFL fan since Johnny U and the Baltimore Colts. 

Regardless of who we go with.  As long as TB5 is not the QB.  I'll be optimistic. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

What I will argue is athleticism.  While he may not be the next coming of Mahomes or Watson he is athletic.  You don't play for the one of the best college programs in the country because you can throw the ball.   J. Russell was athletic but had the brain of a pee.  Winston was super athletic but was a poor decision maker.   

I went back and looked at the last 20 years of Super Bowl winners and the Majority were pocket passers.  Some with a more mobility than others.  Mahomes, Wilson and Wentz being the most mobile with Rodgers a cross breed of both.   The Mannings, Brady, Flacco, Big Ben and the others were not very mobile but good pocket presence plus most of them had a great defense.

I will say that if they choose Jones than the offensive line needs to be top tier.  I think that is the one advantage a mobile QB can get away with more than a pocket passer.  I'd say above average line or better. 

Someone said earlier or in another thread.  Free Agency will tell the tale of which way we go.  If we are building a solid line with Vets than don't be surprised if we go for Jones. 

I've read where Jones is quite intelligent and Tua said he was the 2nd coming of Brady.  Brady reads a defense as well as any that have played.  Most of the times he knew where he was throwing the ball before the snap.   Go through the motions of keeping the safeties honest and throw to your read.   If Jones learns to read a defense well.  Who knows his ceiling. 

I'm going to let Rhule and Co. figure that out.  This has been the craziest offseason for QBs as I can ever remember and I've been a huge NFL fan since Johnny U and the Baltimore Colts. 

Regardless of who we go with.  As long as TB5 is not the QB.  I'll be optimistic. 

Carolina needs to be building their OL regardless of QB target. It will be very disappointing to not see the team engaging with FA lineman, even if they don't grab the most expensive guys.

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Winston isn't super athletic.

The last 4 teams playing this year all had pocket passers. Mahomes and Rodgers can buy some time with their legs, but neither is a runner (Rodgers used to be, but he's 37 now). 

Games are still won and lost by throws made from the pocket. All this talk of 'let's draft an athletic QB so they can dodge unblocked defenders' is baffling to me. Fields / Lance / Lawrence are all very athletic guys - but if you ask them to consistently buy time for themselves in the NFL they're going to fail. 

People hate on Jones - and at this point it's just blind bias. They don't actually look into what he achieved at Alabama - they just explain it away by the supporting cast. Speaking of that supporting cast - they all think he's much better than Tua, and have said so publicly. 

At the end of the day, Jones is probably going to be a very consistent starting NFL QB. There's a lot of value to that - but then we're on a blog where people wouldn't cut off their left arm for 10 years of prime Matt Ryan, so....

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 1

On 3/6/2021 at 10:23 AM, BurnNChinn said:

I have the gut feeling that we are going to take Mac Jones when all the dust settles, and I (one of the few) would be OK with that,

I'm one of the few also. A couple of months ago, I was on the trade back a few and still get Jones train of thought, but, being the weird year that it is, that won't likely happen. Whoever we pick, it will be at 8.

1 minute ago, shaqattaq said:

I'm one of the few also. A couple of months ago, I was on the trade back a few and still get Jones train of thought, but, being the weird year that it is, that won't likely happen. Whoever we pick, it will be at 8.

I didn’t say I was on Mac train lol you messed that post up. I’m definitely not for him!

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

I didn’t say I was on Mac train lol you messed that post up. I’m definitely not for him!

Sorry, I was intending to quote @MHS831 and highlighted where you quoted him.. I'm not really on the Jones train per se, I just think he's who will be left, and that's OK. I am not a fan of burning a bunch of draft picks to trade up.