• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was the Gettleman's 2017 draft class the best in Panthers history?

hepcat

2001's trio of Morgan, Jenkins, Smith defiantly tops it. 

Might be early to have that class jump 2007 at this early stage.  Beason, Kalil, Charles Johnson, and Rosario Dawson. 

Might could make a case for 2002 as well.    Peppers (the biggest HOF lock we have), Foster, Spoon, Wesley.

Gettleman had 1 good draft and wiffed on multiple first rounders. His madden style churn every year started us in the hole most seasons while we tried to get everyone to gel. His negotiations were awful. He screwed up the 2016 team dumping Norman and replacing him with rookies who struggled mightily. He totally screwed up the Kalil deal  took a Superbowl team and dismantled it. He was awful and he barely kept his job in New York this past year 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry. Don't care how good the player is. A draft that only nets you one player is a sh-tty draft.

I dont disagree. In fact, I'd probably say I whole heartedly agree.

2001 for me and it isn't close. I just said 2011 deserves some consideration simply because of the impact of getting Cam. 

1 minute ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

I dont disagree. In fact, I'd probably say I whole heartedly agree.

2001 for me and it isn't close. I just said 2011 deserves some consideration simply because of the impact of getting Cam. 

Drafted by a GM that couldn't build a winning team around him.

In a way, that 2011 Draft is almost prophetic.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

We are significantly jumping the shark on this take.

CMC is an elite player on pace for a HOF caliber career.....however he also spent the last year banged up and is playing one of the shortest average career length positions. There is no question he is capable of being an all time Panther great.

Samuel had a great year but let's not forget he has also been a one year wonder. If he ascends to being a #1 or #2 WR somewhere else or becomes a consistent producer for another 5-8 years, he is a HR pick. But we are also forgetting his rather forgettable career prior to his contract year.

Taylor Moton is a stud. Not much argument from me, as he is probably one of the top 5-6 OL we have ever drafted. But, still need to see him continue to play that way for another few years.

Hall was a bust.

Elder has had one year of decent nickel production, so let's not get too carried away yet. 

Alex Armah is a very good pick for what he is. 

Butker appears to be a great pick. If he continues to play well, he may be our best 7th round selection in franchise history. If that happens, plenty of credit will be issued for hitting that big of a HR that late in the draft.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

2001 is the best in Franchise history and I dont think its that close. Those first 3 picks, one of them a Hall of Famer are legendary. If CMC plays another 8-10 years i think there could be an argument but right now its still 2001

Hell, even 2011, only because of Cam (and every other pick failing miserably) has to be considered for what it meant to the team. Considering half this board would trade every single one of those players for Watson the value of a true elite franchise QB can't be understated. 

I was thinking the same thing about the Cam draft. All the 2017 picks combined do not do what Cam did for this franchise.

• Pie 2

The thing to remember here, JR did not hire and fire people based on results.

Sure DG might not have lasted, maybe he should of stuck around until JR was gone...hell we’d be a couple years ahead of the JR, HC, GM and Cam were all replaced at the same time.

Could’ve even been McD and Beane here instead.

Biggest failure here not learning when to let go, something DG had down. 

Anyone who has followed this team for a while knows the dumbass Kalil signing was a pure JR ‘family’ move appeasing his fan favorites. Such an erratic move that conflicted with everything and anything DG did and his style made that painfully obvious.

Oh well spilled milk. At least the new tenure seems to finally catch the hint that moving on quick from failure is important and things don’t need to be dragged out.

• Beer 1