• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

June Jones jumps on the Mac Jones train

panthers55

4 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

Watch the tape. Most of his good throws are 1/3 field throws.

So if in the middle of the field between the hashes. 

If on the hash then towards the boundary.

When he makes throws to the field he struggles with placement and timing. 

It's not hard to defend that in the NFL. 

Take away the immediate 3rd and put guys on an island on the outside.

People shat on the ranking Simms gave Mond, but mond makes full field reads, has a cannon, and can place the ball into tight windows. Consistency is his issue. Can he be coached up to be consistent? I dunno. But Mond has waaaaay more raw talent than Jones does.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

People shat on the ranking Simms gave Mond, but mond makes full field reads, has a cannon, and can place the ball into tight windows. Consistency is his issue. Can he be coached up to be consistent? I dunno. But Mond has waaaaay more raw talent than Jones does.  

Check out this Mond breakdown. 

Way more arm talent. Way harder throws to make.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, ncfan said:

If I had 4 of the top 5 WRs to come out of the draft in 2 years, the top OL,RB and Defense, sure

wins don’t mean crap for scouting a QB

see Ken Dorsey, Chris Weinke, and Bama QBs prior to Jalen Hurts

77.4% completions.  42 TDs vs. 4 Interceptions.  349 yards per game passing yards. 11.2 yards per attempt.  What more are you looking for?  Oh-and a national title. 

None of the QBs across the bottom of your list came very close to these numbers.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

77.4% completions.  42 TDs vs. 4 Interceptions.  349 yards per game passing yards. 11.2 yards per attempt.  What more are you looking for?  Oh-and a national title. 

None of the QBs across the bottom of your list came very close to these numbers.

Again, stats and wins don’t mean crap in scouting a QB.  Film does.

As others have pointed, the offense is catered to him as well.  This combined with his weapons, and you get these #s

those #s are nice, but his film still leaves questions and leave concerns.

Edited by ncfan
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Again, stats and wins don’t mean crap in scouting a QB.  Film does.

As others have pointed, the offense is catered to him as well.  This combined with his weapons, and you get these #s

those #s are nice, but his film still leaves questions and leave concerns.

I always just post the career leaders from the NCAA in yardage, TD's, completion percentage, etc. If people haven't figured this out by now, there just isn't much to even say to them.

College is an incredibly skewed and very tilted playing field that can create some extremely skewed results. Video game stats are meaningless without NFL traits. That is obvious with every single position.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Jones is tough. Is it his fault his team was loaded? No? Did he thrive with all of that talent? Yes! Record breaking season. He and Lance have the most unknowns, but Lance has the most potential of anyone in the draft. Rhule got a nice up close look at him in the senior bowl. If we draft him, it’s because Rhule thinks he can be the guy.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Jones is tough. Is it his fault his team was loaded? No? Did he thrive with all of that talent? Yes! Record breaking season. He and Lance have the most unknowns, but Lance has the most potential of anyone in the draft. Rhule got a nice up close look at him in the senior bowl. If we draft him, it’s because Rhule thinks he can be the guy.

That's the reality for all of us!  I love the debate and banter about prospects.  It's fun!

At the end of the day, Rhule has a LOT of latitude as HC to influence draft boards.  All the top QBs are being picked apart and analyzed to death.  It's going to come down to trust in the prospect and coaches.

• Pie 1

June Jones also thought Andre Ware was going to be a great NFL quarterback as well.  So there's that.

I think Mac Jones has proven that if you give him time and open receivers, he can work wonders.  So if you are a team with a good offensive line and receivers who get open, you can consider him.  If you struggle to pass block and get separation in the receiving core...you should run away fast.

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Coach GM & owner all saw this guy up close

21 hours ago, BrianS said:

This is something I keep trying to explain to the Jones fans.

He didn't actually show very many NFL traits.  He was the beneficiary of a completely loaded Alabama roster.  He in fact lost the only game he played in decided by less than two scores.  I do not count the Florida game this year since it was two scores until the garbage time TD.

I would argue that you could put any of the top 10 college QB's in the draft on that Alabama team and come up with the exact same or better results.

And folks who have played in the NFL as QBs and watch film say just the opposite. Hmmm who should we believe....

• Pie 1