• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Signings Thread

9 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Why is this franchise in love with injury prone bad to mediocre free agent Oline? Part of the reason why we've had so much turnover at oline for so long . These could be Hurney signings and I wouldn't know the difference . 

At least they're somewhat young and didn't break the bank. That's   about all I can say.  

It wouldn’t be so bad if they were just giving them a chance at depth...but they also seem to start and continually rotate because big men simply don’t heal.

14 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Main thing I would say is that these moves basically reek of our free agency from last year. High end backup/cheap starter level deals on players a bit below that grade. Recall Schofield, Burris, Whitehead, Weatherly. It's super early of course but between that and restructuring a bunch of contracts, if you didn't know Hurney got fired, could you even tell? I'm all for finding bargains in free agency but we're basically paying these guys to show us more than they have so far and to come across as a successful offseason, several of them will have to. I hope they do.

Yikes. I mean, I hope you prove to be wrong but on the surface... you ain't wrong.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
10 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Main thing I would say is that these moves basically reek of our free agency from last year. High end backup/cheap starter level deals on players a bit below that grade. Recall Schofield, Burris, Whitehead, Weatherly. It's super early of course but between that and restructuring a bunch of contracts, if you didn't know Hurney got fired, could you even tell? I'm all for finding bargains in free agency but we're basically paying these guys to show us more than they have so far and to come across as a successful offseason, several of them will have to. I hope they do.

Yep. People keep saying backup money. $4.5M and $5M per year is starter money. That’s 65th-73rd in OL salary. Well, there are 160 starting OL so these guys aren’t backups, they are being paid like average starters. People look at the top salaries and see these as cheap. They are way less than $20M a year buy these are starter salaries so they better be good. They haven’t been healthy or good so I don’t know why we are jumping on them early.

It does smack of Weatherly, Apple, Roberts, Short and Okung. I really hope it works out but I recall bothe being disappointments. At least it’s not Matt Kalil money but it’s that level of player and just a hope they can do better.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/pat-elflein/11825

That’s Matt Kalil level play.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cam-erving/9452

Not much better. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yikes. I mean, I hope you prove to be wrong but on the surface... you ain't wrong.

See my post above. The more I look, the more we got swindled. These two should have been had for way less like low end starter salaries not average.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

If I were gm I would've just resigned our guards from last year to bargain bin deals , splurged on a LT and drafted a couple oline in rounds 1-4.  

Makes no sense to spend on injury prone castoffs and it will keep the oline turnstile turning .

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
Just now, Hoenheim said:

If I were gm I would've just resigned our guards from last year to bargain bin deals , splurged on a LT and drafted a couple oline in rounds 1-4.  

Makes no sense to spend on injury prone castoffs and it will keep the oline turnstile turning .

B-I-N-G-O!  We have a winner! 

we needed bodies, we got bodies that I would assume wouldn't be too hard to move on from... coaching got decent returns from what a lot of us thought were scrubs. I'm still hopeful. Plus, both are versatile which is always a plus 

• Beer 1

Idek why we even participate in free agency anymore . We always make the wrong moves or don’t have enough money . And when we do have enough we signed scrubs we all knew were scrubs . GM looking shaky to me already . Draft day please come soon

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep. People keep saying backup money. $4.5M and $5M per year is starter money. That’s 65th-73rd in OL salary. Well, there are 160 starting OL so these guys aren’t backups, they are being paid like average starters. People look at the top salaries and see these as cheap. They are way less than $20M a year buy these are starter salaries so they better be good. They haven’t been healthy or good so I don’t know why we are jumping on them early.

It does smack of Weatherly, Apple, Roberts, Short and Okung. I really hope it works out but I recall bothe being disappointments. At least it’s not Matt Kalil money but it’s that level of player and just a hope they can do better.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/pat-elflein/11825

That’s Matt Kalil level play.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cam-erving/9452

Not much better. 

It's no were close to that BS Matt Kalil money.

• Pie 1
5 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Miller at $4M is as good or better. I’d bet that some of the OL FAs asking higher salaries (or the ones we signed) and there will be some better bargains soon or closer to the draft.

I’ll hope it works out but these guys have injury histories and multiple locations with poor results.

3 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Can't imagine being this upset over someone else spending money lol

I haven’t seen anybody upset kev. We’re just stating our opinions. We overpaid for oft-injured mediocrity. Signings add up on the cap.

• Flames 1
4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I haven’t seen anybody upset kev. We’re just stating our opinions. We overpaid for oft-injured mediocrity. Signings add up on the cap.

Look at the contract structures attempt to inform yourself.. You probably think Taysom Hill just got 35m a year.

2 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Look at the contract structures attempt to inform yourself.. You probably think Taysom Hill just got 35m a year.

someone has already broke it down in this thread. Please stop quoting me.