• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline: Panthers sleeper team to trade for Sam Darnold

TheSpecialJuan

11 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

how many of you were a fan of Ryan Tannehill right after he left Miami?

anyone?

Tannehill was WAY better in Miami than Darnold has been in NY though. Tannehill just looked like he was gonna be stuck in that middle of the road tier starter category and Miami wanted to try to do better than that. Tannehill ended up in a much better situation and took a significant step forward. A significant step forward for Darnold would be getting to that middle of the road tier.

• Pie 2

The Panthers are trading with the Jets. The deal has already been worked out. That's why the 49ers took Miami's 3rd. But it's not for Darnold, it's for the 2nd pick. It's a new age on Long Island. They are finally going to do the right the thing. Panthers will have pick 2 in the 2021 draft and Wilson is going to be our path to glory. Everyone get ready to be excited. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Verge said:

Jets aren't moving. So us trading for Darnold I guess. 

I would much rather have Darnold than Teddy. Unfortunately, the more days pass, the more I am convinced Bridgewater will be under center week one. It would really be a buzzkill for the season. I am clinging on to a shred of hope we can get Fields at 8. 

I would trade Teddy for Darnold along with a 2022 1st, 2nd or 3rd round next year, meaning it's based on how Darnold performs. If Darnold comes in and puts up great numbers, I would give a 1st. If he does just good, a 2nd and if he's OK, a 3rd. The reason is the Jets have to take Teddy and his contract. That's worth something.

A trade for Darnold alone, then maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick, this or next year.

• Poo 2

1 minute ago, musicman said:

I would trade Teddy for Darnold along with a 2022 1st, 2nd or 3rd round next year, meaning it's based on how Darnold performs. If Darnold comes in and puts up great numbers, I would give a 1st. If he does just good, a 2nd and if he's OK, a 3rd. The reason is the Jets have to take Teddy and his contract. That's worth something.

A trade for Darnold alone, then maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick, this or next year.

Thank God you're not a GM

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Tannehill was WAY better in Miami than Darnold has been in NY though. Tannehill just looked like he was gonna be stuck in that middle of the road tier starter category and Miami wanted to try to do better than that. Tannehill ended up in a much better situation and took a significant step forward. A significant step forward for Darnold would be getting to that middle of the road tier.

Miami made the mistake of convincing themselves Tannehill was "middle of the road".  I don't think he'll ever be elite, but he is a QB you can win with.  He's a good QB.  Joining the Titans just made it obvious.

Darnold will never be that.  He doesn't have RT's arm or decision making.

Darnold has not shown that he can be consistent enough to win in the NFL.  Every QB can come in and make some throws once in a while ( even look at Rypien last season) but the guys who are consistent and don’t turn the ball over become starters.  

Sam Darnold is also not as athletic as Ryan Tannehill.  I get the career arc seems similar as Darnold is destined to join another team.  But when Tanny doesn’t have it teams still have to respect him going outside the pocket and taking off.  Darnold doesn’t have that part of his game to lean on when the passing game isn’t working.  You can try hiding him behind a great rushing attack like the Titans did with Tanny early on but at some point he’s gonna have to make some throws. 

I know everyone is eager to upgrade from Teddy, but Darnold isn’t an upgrade.  Teddy is just a better QB right now and that’s the truth.  

Edited by NJPanthers89
  • Beer 1

Personally I'm not looking forward to Darnold if we get him. I don't see anything amazingly special and I have a feeling almost a sense of Teddy 2.0. I'd just rather roll with what we have and save the draft pick. Hell, let PJ or Will Grier play lots this season or see if a QB is there at 8 who has any potential or brain power to be developed. If you don't feel that way take a good offensive lineman or another too player at a position and see what happens this season while obviously playing for a higher draft pick and potential QB of future next season.