• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers are working hard to lay foundation for a trade back

TheSpecialJuan

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

with a medical record like his in the first?  The back is a big concern.  

And he just injured it again after sitting out in 2020.    Not sure how he gets a green light while still recovering from his 2nd back surgery. 

Someone might take him early.  But I still think he has big fall potential.  All it takes is for the DB needy teams to have someone they like a little better...and for him to hit some teams that took him of their board, don’t need a DB, and don’t like the injury. 

I don’t doubt Verge.  I’m sure we are interested.   But we are a team interested in every DB because of need.  If the other teams like us go a different route he could fall. 

Again, don't disagree. But there's also a great consensus that the draft gets weaker and weaker at a lot of positions after the top 12~ players.  I wouldn't take him -- say Horn and Surtain are both gone, I'd take Newsome and Kelvin Joseph (pending a character check) if I were the Panthers GM over Farley even without the injury concerns -- but if he's high on someones draft board they may not see much of a risk of Farley over some other guy.

Edited by Rags

1 hour ago, Jared Patterson said:

Verge, I know Drew Rosenhouse says he won't get past 20 and agents basically dictate everything, but with all the injuries and even possibly the covid thing, I could really see him slipping to our pick in round 2. Got to think at least 1 or 2 teams probably have him off their boards due to injury. FWIW I still think he goes RD 1, but imagine if we trade back snag Slater, then get Fairley and a WR in RD 2 😍......

Do we have a bucket of cold water emoji for Jared here?  

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Growl said:

If Bill Belichick thinks a guy is a franchise QB and Matt rhule and Scott Fitterer think that same guy isn’t one then there’s a much bigger concern facing the Carolina Panthers as an organization 

Is it?

Who's to say Belichick is a great evaluator of QB's?

It's not like they drafted Brady with the though that he'd go on to be their franchise QB, and since then he hasn't had to make any decision on a new starting QB until recently, and it's not like Cam killed it last year.

The closest would be Jimmy G who they were grooming to hopefully take over, and now the team with him has traded up to get a new QB to replace him.

So not like Belichick has some unblemished record on scouting QB's, he backed his way into the GOAT and had him for 20 years.

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I said it yesterday and I still think it - if Fields is there he's the pick. I just think that with the Pats talking to ATL as high as #4, they're gonna get him. We'd need four teams in front of us to say no to the bait they're going to be dangling.

IMO, Bill would trade for Jimmy before either rookie QB. I think they are targeting a mid-round QB. Bill wants to win now, not go though the bumps with a rookie QB. 

Anyone follow Detroit well enough to read just how much/little they will consider trading out?  

They really have the trade sales edge pre draft compared to us. Which is why we are “laying the groundwork” rather than “pulling the trigger”.  It will be great TV tomorrow night. 

Here is what I know about ego---Bill B. has one.  And he thought his greatness could carry the Patriots to their 20th playoff appearance last year just on his sarcastic brilliance alone.  He thought he could take Cam and show the world what a QB whisperer he is.  Sometimes, when losing means little, it seems to be a necessary part of winning.  However, when that is all you do, it is a necessary part of dying.  BB tasted it last semester--think he wants to lose again?  Check out the Patriots free agent signings.  Aggressive and desperate.  The only missing piece?  QB.  When you fill all needs in free agency like they did, you are not going to dicker too much when it comes to moving up for a QB. 

I think they trade with Atlanta. 

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is what I know about ego---Bill B. has one.  And he thought his greatness could carry the Patriots to their 20th playoff appearance last year just on his sarcastic brilliance alone.  He thought he could take Cam and show the world what a QB whisperer he is.  Sometimes, when losing means little, it seems to be a necessary part of winning.  However, when that is all you do, it is a necessary part of dying.  BB tasted it last semester--think he wants to lose again?  Check out the Patriots free agent signings.  Aggressive and desperate.  The only missing piece?  QB.  When you fill all needs in free agency like they did, you are not going to dicker too much when it comes to moving up for a QB. 

I think they trade with Atlanta. 

I could see this happening. With the right QB, they will be back to their winning ways. No one should trade with them out of principle...